News New Jumpers For 2018 - All Changes In OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure yet. I’ve never been a fan of photos on guernseys and I thought the “last game at Subi” guernsey was pretty tacky. This is a touch more tasteful.

Not that you’ll find many worldly opinions there, but the initial Facebook feedback is pretty positive, particularly from non-Pies fans.

I wish designers would figure out that just because we have the technology to print jumpers with new colours/gradients/photos/names on them doesn't mean we necessarily should.

I don't have a problem with the Pies one particularly, the old photo suits the black and white, but by the time every other club has done one they will have well and truly killed the pig.

If it's an indication of clubs moving back towards a "this is our turf / clubs are more than just clubs " level of thinking I'm all for it. The less franchise-y things are the better.

From a GD design point though, whole lotta meh from me.

Meh that Pies top is ugly, less ugly I guess because it's in black and white and a training top, but it's still lame.

The other thing is that grandstand is no longer there, and unless you were going to games in the 30s, the majority of people associate other (still standing) stands with Vic Park – the hill, the Sherrin Stand, the social club, and the outer are all very industrial, very sort of brutalist, all glass and grey concrete stands but that's what was broadcast to television for basically all the games there. Victoria Park is a working class, no frills ground and it's so unique and cool for it. I don't think its reputation was beautiful old Victorian stands... it isn't the SCG, Brunswick Street Oval, the Junction...

It's also pretty bad considering Collingwood are moving away from the ground more and more. Haven't had stuff like family day there since 2013, the VFL seem to play there less and less, no AFLW at the ground... they're really focusing on the ground near the Westpac Centre. The current administration are not embracing the ground as much as they should.

In fact the last AFL club to train at Vic Park were Richmond three or four years ago...

I like the idea of the Collingwood guernsey, but geez I'd struggle to think of anywhere if wear it.

Strange how the other training guernsey is just black with no design on it, I would have liked a white one in the same vein because I really liked the simplicity of it.

Meh that Pies top is ugly, less ugly I guess because it's in black and white and a training top, but it's still lame.

The other thing is that grandstand is no longer there, and unless you were going to games in the 30s, the majority of people associate other (still standing) stands with Vic Park – the hill, the Sherrin Stand, the social club, and the outer are all very industrial, very sort of brutalist, all glass and grey concrete stands but that's what was broadcast to television for basically all the games there. Victoria Park is a working class, no frills ground and it's so unique and cool for it. I don't think its reputation was beautiful old Victorian stands... it isn't the SCG, Brunswick Street Oval, the Junction...

It's also pretty bad considering Collingwood are moving away from the ground more and more. Haven't had stuff like family day there since 2013, the VFL seem to play there less and less, no AFLW at the ground... they're really focusing on the ground near the Westpac Centre. The current administration are not embracing the ground as much as they should.

In fact the last AFL club to train at Vic Park were Richmond three or four years ago...
Clubs engage their supporter base by appealing to their sense of history and nostalgia, obviously.

Winning gets you new supporters. Getting those supporters to buy in to everything your club is makes those supporters longterm die hards

Look at Port and how they tried to play down their roots in the quest for new support in the mid 2000s. It nearly killed the club.

I like the idea of the Collingwood guernsey, but geez I'd struggle to think of anywhere if wear it.

Strange how the other training guernsey is just black with no design on it, I would have liked a white one in the same vein because I really liked the simplicity of it.
That's exactly what Port have done and it looks amazing

Clubs engage their supporter base by appealing to their sense of history and nostalgia, obviously.

Winning gets you new supporters. Getting those supporters to buy in to everything your club is makes those supporters longterm die hards

Look at Port and how they tried to play down their roots in the quest for new support in the mid 2000s. It nearly killed the club.
I get that but they're claiming an incorrect and weird part of their history. Collingwood was a tough, really working class area and the club should accept that and use it – North do. In doing so they should have embraced the tough, gritty Abbotsford/Collingwood area because that is the real guts of the Collingwood Football Club and Victoria Park – play it up as intimidating, the vocal crowd, the no nonsense approach...

A bloody old pavilion... no one thinks of Vic Park like that!

Geelong should do it with the country game Guernsey. Maybe a Massey ferguson
Nah, if Geelong wants a throwback they need to put the Ford factory on a jumper :p

So thats Melbournes 2016 training with the MCG on it, Pies 2018 with VP on it, a WAFL subi celebration guernsey with Subi on it and an Eagles subi farewell guernsey.

This is the new trend?

AFC design options leaked.

images

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all about location. I love the history behind Vic Park but if were being honest, getting to the Holden Center is a lot less of a pain in the ass then getting to Vic Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back