New look port side

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta love a good spine. ;)

predator.jpg

A lot of people are unhappy with how Sal and Krak have been played in defence, but most teams recognise the use of good skills in bringing the ball out of defence. Most teams have an elite kick in defence, and often it's this player that has questionable defensive attributes. See Drummond, McLeod, Goddard, Gilbee et al. Krak was a bit up and down with his defensive stuff and his disposal this year, but he has shown before he has a great kick, and had some great defensive moments this year, all be it far and few between. Wouldn't give up on him in defence.

Given that Choco was O/S, how much of a say, if any, did Laidley have on the selection of Nash and Schulz?
Could this be an insight into next year's game plan and approach? Both have been described as tough, no nonsense, hard at it types. Ring any bells?

Nah, wouldn't have thought so mate.

We've had both on the radar for a few years, since they were drafted really, and finally had the picks and opportunity to get the job done (probably due to their existing clubs finally giving up on them... :eek:)

I agree with P.A.F.C. on Krak. He seemed to be developing some sort of defensive side to his game late last year as well, with his game on Campbell Brown a massive highlight. I like him as a half back, but IMO there's only room for one 'seagull' in defensive or you end up vulnerable, so Pearce can take Burgoyne's spot in the middle and Salopek goes back onto the wing where he played so well in '08.

B Surjan ~ Carlile ~ Trengove/Broadbent
HB Nash ~ Chaplin ~ Cornes
C Krakouer ~ Cassisi ~ Pearce
HF D. Motlop ~ D. Stewart ~ Rodan
F Salter ~ Tredrea ~ Gray
R Brogan ~ Boak ~ Kornes
IC Lobbe, Hartlett, Salopek, Davenport
E Thomas, Ebert, Redden

Notes/Musings/Rationale
  • Daniel Stewart thrown in the deep end at CHF. Sink or swim. Huge frame, can run, reminds me of Kurt Tippett with the way he goes about it.
  • No Westhoffs. Matthew has terminal Centrals disease (too good for SANFL, not good enough for AFL) and if Justin can't stack 7-10kgs on through his core at age 23, there's just no point sacrificing the likes of Tredrea's game for him anymore.
  • Nash plugged straight into halfback to play as a true halfback. No more sacrificing of Krakouer and Salopek's progress in order to fill some mythical niche role just because Hodge won a Norm Smith doing it.
  • Trengove to get some games depending on matchups as he continues the long road back.
  • Pearce, Krakouer, Motlop, Rodan, (Davenport, Hartlett) to play primarily as linkmen between defence and attack - our transition speed was abysmal last year both going forward and resisting on the turnover. This must change.
  • Chad to bolster the defence with less of a key position and more a third-up role to maximise his elite reading of the play.
  • Gray to alternate between forward pocket and midfield as he follows the GAJ method of building his tank.
  • Tredrea to share the goalsquare with Salter as part of the forward rotations. On top of Stewart's presence, the variation in sizes, attributes and style makes the trio an awkward matchup for any defence.
  • Salopek to play midfield or not at all.
  • Boak to play primarily inside as he did starring at the Gabba last season.
  • Kornes to play as less a tireless outside runner achieving little by way of impact and more as he did when he was 21/22. The hardnosed ballwinning tagger who mutiliated Simon Black on Grand Final day and backed it up with a thoroughly deserved All-Australian guernsey the following year.
  • Captain Cassisi to return to being a fulltime in-and-under grunt in the true Port Adelaide tradition. None of this flank stuff. Guts or bench rotation.
  • Thomas, Logan, Ebert, Pettigrew, Schulz to only get a game if there's an injury holocaust or in MT's case, Showdown.

Love the sink or swim comment there DT. Give the bloke a go, if it doesnt work it doesnt work. By all reports the guy could do anything.

R Brogan ~ Boak ~ Kornes
E Thomas, Ebert, Redden

Notes/Musings/Rationale
  • Daniel Stewart thrown in the deep end at CHF. Sink or swim. Huge frame, can run, reminds me of Kurt Tippett with the way he goes about it.
  • No Westhoffs. Matthew has terminal Centrals disease (too good for SANFL, not good enough for AFL) and if Justin can't stack 7-10kgs on through his core at age 23, there's just no point sacrificing the likes of Tredrea's game for him anymore.
  • Nash plugged straight into halfback to play as a true halfback. No more sacrificing of Krakouer and Salopek's progress in order to fill some mythical niche role just because Hodge won a Norm Smith doing it.
  • Trengove to get some games depending on matchups as he continues the long road back.
  • Pearce, Krakouer, Motlop, Rodan, (Davenport, Hartlett) to play primarily as linkmen between defence and attack - our transition speed was abysmal last year both going forward and resisting on the turnover. This must change.
  • Chad to bolster the defence with less of a key position and more a third-up role to maximise his elite reading of the play.
  • Gray to alternate between forward pocket and midfield as he follows the GAJ method of building his tank.
  • Tredrea to share the goalsquare with Salter as part of the forward rotations. On top of Stewart's presence, the variation in sizes, attributes and style makes the trio an awkward matchup for any defence.
  • Kornes to play as less a tireless outside runner achieving little by way of impact and more as he did when he was 21/22. The hardnosed ballwinning tagger who mutiliated Simon Black on Grand Final day and backed it up with a thoroughly deserved All-Australian guernsey the following year.
  • Captain Cassisi to return to being a fulltime in-and-under grunt in the true Port Adelaide tradition. None of this flank stuff. Guts or bench rotation.
  • Thomas, Logan, Ebert, Pettigrew, Schulz to only get a game if there's an injury holocaust or in MT's case, Showdown.

and versus Hawthorn:D

Anyone who has Schulz in ahead of J. Westhoff clearly hasn't seen him play.

I can see whats going to happen here.So long as Port don't do a Richmond and play him in 7 different positions in a day, you will get a top player I reckon.He is one of the most courageous players I have ever seen,and is great at centre half back imo.Then hopefully for you guys Cornes can play forward where he could tear teams a new one.

FB: Surjan, Carlile, Trengove
HB: Stewart, Chaplin, Krakour
C: Pearce, Boak, Hartlett
HF: Rodan, Tredrea, *Tapscott*
FF: Pettigrew, Schultz, Motlop
Fol: Brogan, Ebert, Dom
Int: Kane, Chadd, Lobbe, Broadbent

Look alot straighter with Schultz in the side. With out the Burgoyne's and Lade (and even Toby to a certain degree) we take on a compleetly different look. Not as speedy or as polished out side, but tougher and alot more No-Frills like!

Fair dinkum Ranga to omit Robbie Gray is unpardonable you sound a lot like the coach here he is one of ports best if he is coached and placed properly in the side

R Brogan ~ Boak ~ Kornes
E Thomas, Ebert, Redden

Notes/Musings/Rationale
DYERTRIBE for coach some great insight here i like the looks of it lets hope williams gets the vision too he could sink the whole ship this guy!
by the way i dont think we will miss burgoyne if this port club can get its act together as much as some think, football is a team game and no one is bigger than the team it might be a blessing in disguise;)

This is actually quite hard. Figured Tredrea, Westhoff, Salter and Schulz can alternate between CHF and FF. D.Stewart would be 3rd in line to ruck.

Code:
[B]F[/B]	Daniel Motlop	Warren Tredrea	Justin Westhoff	

[B]HF[/B]	Robbie Gray	Nick Salter	David Rodan	

[B]C[/B]	Travis Boak	Domenic Cassisi	Steven Salopek	

[B]HB[/B]	Chad Cornes	Troy Chaplin	Nathan Krakouer	

[B]B[/B]	Jacob Surjan	Alipate Carlile	Jay Nash	

[B]R[/B]	Dean Brogan	Kane Cornes	Danyle Pearce	

[B]Int[/B]	Matthew Lobbe	Jay Schulz	Hamish Hartlett	Jason Davenport

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why has everyone assumed Schulz and Nash are automatic inclusions? They couldn't make Richmond or Essendon's team (IMO our list is better than Essendon's, they just have a better gameplan and they remembered that you still have to turn up to play against the bottom 4 teams) so why would they make ours?

^Because everyone is hoping that they will be :p

My question is why hasn't anyone included Matt Thomas? I think he is extremely inspirational and should be in the side every week.

Really like Forzaports side.
I would switch out davenport/nash for thomas though, and maybe find a spot for trengove, but everything else is perfect :D

Why doesn't Lower count?
Its not so much that he doesn't count, but he has no trade value.

Stewart is an early second round pick from the 2006 superdraft that hasn't done a large amount wrong. Pettigrew is a 24 year old with good pace and 90 AFL games under his belt.

I'm not saying we needed to get rid of either, but adding Nash surely means someone else should be being shifted on. If its not in trade week, which it wasn't, then someone is probably getting delisted, though maybe Farmer for Nash is how we're viewing it structurally.

Its not so much that he doesn't count, but he has no trade value.

Stewart is an early second round pick from the 2006 superdraft that hasn't done a large amount wrong. Pettigrew is a 24 year old with good pace and 90 AFL games under his belt.

I'm not saying we needed to get rid of either, but adding Nash surely means someone else should be being shifted on. If its not in trade week, which it wasn't, then someone is probably getting delisted, though maybe Farmer for Nash is how we're viewing it structurally.

Trengove has to get a bench spot IMO and I would like to see Pettigrew if he was to play on a wing or up forward, I think his need down back isn't great, he has plenty to offer if in the right position.

Thomas is hard but I just don't think he does enough.

FF D Motlop, Tredrea, Rodan

HF Gray, Schulz, Salter

C Salopek, Boak, Hartlett

HB Chaplin, C Cornes, Surjan

FB Trengove, Carlile, Nash

1ST RUCK
Brogan
K Cornes
Cassisi

INT Pearce, Lobbe, Krakouer, Pettigrew

EMERG Broadbent, D Stewart

Fair dinkum Ranga to omit Robbie Gray is unpardonable you sound a lot like the coach here he is one of ports best if he is coached and placed properly in the side

Yeah, it was playing on my mind for a while and posted this quickly before a big weekend!

I did forget a few I look back on it now and think hrmm, one thing is for sure, We have depth once again! We might have the support staff around Choco again (Laidley) and we could possibly have some young tallent on our lists (Carlile, Lobbe, Gray, Boak, Hartlett, Trengove, Stewart, Redden, Pick #1, Pick #2 and Pick #3)

I know I did this somewhere.

F: Motlop, Salter, D Stewart
HF: Krakouer, Tredrea, Rodan
C: Pearce, Dom, Boak
HB: Hartlett, Chaplin, Chad
FB: Surjan, Bobby, Marlon
Ruck: Brogan, Gray, Salopek
Interchange: Lobbe, Trengove, Broadbent, Pick 8 best midfielder (Tapscott)

EMR: Pick 9, Ebert, Pettigrew

Depth players Logan, P Stewart, Schultz, Nash, pick 16, Redden, Banner, Justin W, pick 16.

with the right coaching if that isn't a finals squad we truely stink!

For me if Pettigrew is not played forward this year i can not see a place for him in the 22.
When are they going to get it in there heads that he is NOT a defender, never has been never will be.
Gee we got some dumb f***ers on the selection committee

The good thing about trading for Nash and Schulz is that competition for spots has intensified. Guys like Broadbent, P Stewart and Pettigrew will have to work hard to get past Nash and guys like D Stewart, Salter and J Westhoff will have to get past Schulz. She's gonna be on pre-season.

The good thing about trading for Nash and Schulz is that competition for spots has intensified. Guys like Broadbent, P Stewart and Pettigrew will have to work hard to get past Nash and guys like D Stewart, Salter and J Westhoff will have to get past Schulz. She's gonna be on pre-season.

I think Nash needs to work past those players not the other way around IMO

I think Nash needs to work past those players not the other way around IMO

Maybe, but i would've thought that if we go out of our way to trade for someone then we must have a role in mind for them. Either way, competition for spots in round 1 should be red hot.

B: Surj Carlile Chappy
HB: Nash Chad Petters (hopefully improved from 09)
C: Rodan Boak Hartlett
HF: Dav Salter Ebert
F: Motlop Wazza Gray

1R: Broges, Dom, Kane

INT: Lobbe, Salopek, Schulz, Pearce

Don't really think either Hoffs have done enough to warrant selection at this stage, although Pettigrew could fall under the same category. Not a huge fan of Schulz, but they didnt pick him up not to play, and would probably be in there Round 1.

Would love to see Carr get in some good form next year too. Unless he has a great pre season don't think I could see him being picked in round one.

Remove this Banner Ad

New look port side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back