New ODI comp featuring India, England, Australia & one other?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
England, Australia and India are in discussions about creating a controversial new annual four-nations ODI tournament, involving the three countries and an extra nation, which could begin as early as 2021.
Sourav Ganguly, president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, has pushed the concept. While there are main details still to thrash out, it is understood that the 50-over tournament would feature England, Australia and India and a fourth nation to be determined.
It has been suggested that hosting of the event would alternate between England, Australia and India every year. England are understood to be keen on exploring the concept.
“We meet regularly with other leaders from the major cricketing nations to share learnings and discuss topics that impact our sport,” said an ECB statement. “A four-nation tournament was raised at a meeting with the BCCI in December and we are open to discussions with other ICC members to see if this concept can develop.”
Each edition of the tournament would be expected to last around a fortnight. If the competition went ahead, there would be major concerns that it would exacerbate the financial gap between the ‘big three’ - England, Australia and India - and other nations even further.

Privately, other Test nations, as well as Associate nations, are deeply concerned about the financial inequities in the sport and a concentration of power and money among the big three threatening the health of cricket elsewhere.
The trio recently declared their opposition to an International Cricket Council proposal to create a new ODI tournament for leading nations every four years, with each edition lasting in the region of three weeks, saying there was not enough time in the schedule.
Unlike an ICC event, the proposed new ‘Super Series’ tournament advocated by Ganguly would be run by the individual member nations, meaning that they could keep any profits made for themselves, rather than share them out between all ICC members.

When everyone was getting excited about Ganguly's appointment his initial talk was essentially "make India great again" and it made me gravely concerned. This is doing nothing to help my concern. Not that the cronies at CA or the ECB are any better.

How long until this 4-team series is re-named "The World Cup"?

When everyone was getting excited about Ganguly's appointment his initial talk was essentially "make India great again" and it made me gravely concerned. This is doing nothing to help my concern. Not that the cronies at CA or the ECB are any better.

How long until this 4-team series is re-named "The World Cup"?

This is why the cricket world should be gravely concerned about SA’s infield decline.
Aside from Australia, the one constant since the early 90s in cricket has been the fact that SA were perennially, at the very least, quite good. You could drop a pin anywhere on the timeline between 1992 in test or odi cricket and it would drop on a period where they were in the best 3 sides in the world (World Cup failures aside). It meant that even though they didn’t have a lot of financial clout, they ensured that there was a voice and focal point at the top of the sport that didn’t belong to Australia, India or England. Almost symbolic as much as anything - ‘you don’t need to be at the big boys table to be a cricket power.’ It forced the other countries to stage big series against them.

I definitely don’t want a cricket environment where the only 4 test series involve the 3 rich c***s.

But that’s what I fear will happen soon enough.

Why is this surprising to anyone? When has India done anything other than look after its own interests? The bigger surprise would have been if gangly hadn't done something exactly like this

I don't like this idea, it goes totally against my other ideas for reform of ODIs.

I reckon there should be some sort of qualification and seeding system for the World Cup. With teams playing home and away qualifying series worth points towards qualification and seeding in the World Cup. It is up to the various boards to arrange these tours as necessary, fitting them in with the rest of the calendar. Instead of so many meaningless ODIs they all start to become worth something. Of course teams can play friendlies outside of qualification of they so desire.

This idea goes against that.

I don't like this idea, it goes totally against my other ideas for reform of ODIs.

I reckon there should be some sort of qualification and seeding system for the World Cup. With teams playing home and away qualifying series worth points towards qualification and seeding in the World Cup. It is up to the various boards to arrange these tours as necessary, fitting them in with the rest of the calendar. Instead of so many meaningless ODIs they all start to become worth something. Of course teams can play friendlies outside of qualification of they so desire.

This idea goes against that.

What you’re describing sounds a bit like the ODI league that is coming in next year. What I’m not liking about this new big three thing is that the new ODI league needs a chance to develop, but instead we are already talking about bringing in another ODI competition to compete with it.

What you’re describing sounds a bit like the ODI league that is coming in next year. What I’m not liking about this new big three thing is that the new ODI league needs a chance to develop, but instead we are already talking about bringing in another ODI competition to compete with it.

Yeah, I'd like that to be expanded a bit. At the moment teams only have to play against some but not all of the others teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unpopular opinion, but I don’t mind this. If the hosting duties and fourth nation are rotated each year it could be a hit. The bilateral series and endless T20s have made me miss the good old tri/quad ODI series.

Yeah I think tri / quad series are good and still have a place to play in the game, but if moves like this are fixed then it perpetuates the gulf between the haves and have nots.

Not that different to the WSC tri-series we had for two decades and which many on here still pine for, IMO.
If this was to replace the existing endless bilateral series between the same nations, then maybe.
This seems to be an addition, designed for nothing more than blocking the ICC creating a fourth event (itself not really required). Yet another thing for the rich only. At least a pointless ICC event might help Zimbabwe, West Indies, Ireland be able to continue to play Tests; and help some of the Associates afford to play anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

New ODI comp featuring India, England, Australia & one other?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back