Opinion New rules in the ruck, Martin in? Jamar Gawn?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is Jeff White all over again, but now Jamar, lets hope he has the size to hold some body position still.....

Would Jamar get 3 years knowing this deal was in place, doubt it...

I loved the wrestle at the centre bounce jeeeezz the AFL has no idea these days

It's more than just Jamar mate. The majority of ruckmen in the league work off their body strength. Even Dean Cox does it, it's been the favourite tactic teams use in the ruck because prior to now having an athlete who wasn't as big and had a high leap would only be good in centre clearances as there was barely any body contact if any. We're luckily we have players like Martin and Gawn who will do well from this change, as I expect there will be a shift in ruck tactics.

I actually think mayb it'll make strength even more important because there will now only really be one real initial contact before contesting the ball.. as soon as it is thrown up the ruckman will quickly engage so the one which can hold their ground should win out..
anyway jamar actually has a really good leap, hence why he's so good at the centre bounce..

Although I don't think this will help Martin because I believe Neeld honestly views Clark as our second ruck, and lets face it he is a dam good versatile ruckman who shits all over Stef..

The Jamar signing was terrible at the time too. Melbourne fans like to pretend that because he had one elite season that he's an elite player, when in fact he contributes absolutely nothing around the ground.

What? Do you watch football with your eyes closed?

The bloke throws himself at contest after contest around the ground and often gets the ball out to a receiver on the outside, he also tackles well for a big bloke and does very well in contested marking situations.

Stupid comment.

What? Do you watch football with your eyes closed?

The bloke throws himself at contest after contest around the ground and often gets the ball out to a receiver on the outside, he also tackles well for a big bloke and does very well in contested marking situations.

Stupid comment.

What are you talking about he gets almost no ball around the ground at all. I mean last year he averaged 8 disposals a game and 2 marks. Not to mention he drifted forward for a very valuable single goal all year. Take off the goggles...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wouldn't they test this in the NAB first? I thought that was it's only purpose was to trial new ideas?

This new rule will see guys like Jolly, Cox, Mumford, Jamar, Luenberger and Hille become redundant, nice move AFL

Testing these rules over one NAB cup is hardly going to achieve anything for the most part. The game takes time to evolve and grow, and whenever it does the AFL steps in to try and change it back to how they like it.

The Jamar signing was terrible at the time too. Melbourne fans like to pretend that because he had one elite season that he's an elite player, when in fact he contributes absolutely nothing around the ground.

I agree on the point he's only had 1 elite season, and he tends to not get a lot of the ball

The signing though, I think was important at the time.

We were being viewed as being on the verge of an exodus, despite the fact Russian stated he wanted to stay, the media sharks were circling with GWS stories. We needed to sign Russian as a show of unity. 3 years, perhaps a little long, but we need our younger guys to know that they're not going to be turfed out the door once they hit 30 as it was under the previous admin.

The best part about it all is that the Russ will be costing us very little (Vet's list) and will be great mentoring the young rucks around the club

Tactics will be developed to circumvent the rule changes, still think Russian has value to us

I agree on the point he's only had 1 elite season, and he tends to not get a lot of the ball

The signing though, I think was important at the time.

We were being viewed as being on the verge of an exodus, despite the fact Russian stated he wanted to stay, the media sharks were circling with GWS stories. We needed to sign Russian as a show of unity. 3 years, perhaps a little long, but we need our younger guys to know that they're not going to be turfed out the door once they hit 30 as it was under the previous admin.

The best part about it all is that the Russ will be costing us very little (Vet's list) and will be great mentoring the young rucks around the club

Tactics will be developed to circumvent the rule changes, still think Russian has value to us
Agree with this :thumbsu:

Would be a handy mentor to younger rucks too a la Cox to Nik Nat

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion New rules in the ruck, Martin in? Jamar Gawn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back