Mega Thread New Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: New Stadium - Time for Cautious Optimism?

Well that probably rules out Burswood as well - as I'm sure the residents will be up in arms about night games being in the local area etc etc

If the stadium is annouced for Burswood, any one that buys there will know full well what there signing up for, so they'll have no right to complain.

A Burswood sporting/ entertainment precinct is the most forward thinking and proposal for the whole city. Keeping a group in a suburbian area like Subi is asking for trouble, and does nothing to expand & develop the city.

This is perfect, Build up the area around the belmont racecourse, then add some restaurants and shops, build up the transport system with a train to Belmont station and Burswood, get a an overground raillink from those areas into the city. Build the big 75,000 seater where the golf course is, knock down the dome put a smaller 30,000 seater for the force glory, new rugby team etc, some more restaurants etc and then we have have a worldclass entertainment area for the future. However I doubt they have the foresight to see this

If the stadium is annouced for Burswood, any one that buys there will know full well what there signing up for, so they'll have no right to complain.

No moral right perthaps, but they'll certainly have a legal right

Ask the residents at the old swan brewery.

I used to work in a suburban pub - that has been there for the best part of a century - neighbours would complain all the time and force changes upon the pub.

Subiaco Oval has been there miles before most residents owned property there - and yet they forced changes.

Subiaco Oval has been there miles before most residents owned property there - and yet they forced changes.

Difference is Subi Oval may have been there, but it was a suburban WAFL oval, with no lights - so as much as it may annoy me, I can understand people being upset to those changes.

A new purpose built AFL Stadium in burswood starts it's life with those expectations.

Agreed, it may not stop some people complaining - but it may stop the complainers moving there in the first place.

Difference is Subi Oval may have been there, but it was a suburban WAFL oval, with no lights - so as much as it may annoy me, I can understand people being upset to those changes.

A new purpose built AFL Stadium in burswood starts it's life with those expectations.

Agreed, it may not stop some people complaining - but it may stop the complainers moving there in the first place.

Not really - because there is a heap of housing in Burswood alread - all bought when there wasn't a stadium there. A lot of residents already get free tickets to concerts as compensation - what happens when there is a stadium.

In terms of Subi - whether you've moved in last week or 50 years ago - you still have the right to complain about the lighting and events held there.

Subi Council and residents deserve to lose the oval.

They've been nothing but a giant pain in the arse for the last 25 years.

If a footy crowd for a few hours once a week for 22 weeks with the occasional light towers on until 10pm is your biggest bug bear then you need to get out and see the World. I lived in the 1 or 1.5km parking radius or whatever it is around the ground for a couple of years and was never once bothered by the crowd or the lights.

While I likethe area and would be happy to have a new ground built there I certainly would not be upset to see Subi council lose all revenue benefits from having the ground there if it is relocated.

Yeah at kitchened in an east/west setup with a capacity of 55,000 without the infrastructure and footings to upgrade to a larger size. Watch how the western australian government fully ****s it all up again.
yep...

although I think they will go north/south ;)

Yeah at kitchened in an east/west setup with a capacity of 55,000 without the infrastructure and footings to upgrade to a larger size. Watch how the western australian government fully ****s it all up again.
yep...

although I think they will go north/south ;)

I say nothing will get built in the immediate future. One day at some point in the future WA will get a new stadium but i think there will be many head fakes and false alarms between now and that day and this will be one of them.

Colin will talk up a storm and propose this and propose that. When the time comes to sign contracts and commit the money and go past the point of no return it will fall over and probably just continue into an interminable talk fest. They money will just not get put up and that is that. Colin will just talk about to get people excited and look like he is on the side of the people who think a new stadium should be a priority.

While the Federal labour governement continues to waste money and flood the country with 3rd world refugees and low skill immigrants, many of whom come to live in WA, to make a cheaper labour pool that keeps the mining companies happy there are too many other demands on our infrastructure money. Hospitals, roads, schools etc all continue to become more crowded and need more money spent on them as people moving to Perth use those resources without kicking in money to pay for their usage of them. The cost of paying for these people use of our infrastructure falls on the existing tax base and there is simple not going to be enough money to pay for all that and a new stadium for quite some time IMO.

If you ask the politicians GM there's not enough money to build bloody anything in this state... you would think that the money would be better on a hospital but I guarantee that wont get built either.

Where it all goes I dont know.

While the Federal labour governement continues to waste money and flood the country with 3rd world refugees and low skill immigrants, many of whom come to live in WA, to make a cheaper labour pool that keeps the mining companies happy there are too many other demands on our infrastructure money. Hospitals, roads, schools etc all continue to become more crowded and need more money spent on them as people moving to Perth use those resources without kicking in money to pay for their usage of them. The cost of paying for these people use of our infrastructure falls on the existing tax base and there is simple not going to be enough money to pay for all that and a new stadium for quite some time IMO.

Let's for one second park the refugee issue, becuase I doubt we will find any common ground there.

Those "unskilled" workers that you are talking about actually can't come to the country to work. You can't just rock up here and say "I want a job". And the minimg companies who bring these workers in pay wages & salaries to those people to do so - which gets taxed and pays for those hospitals and roads you are talking about - hospitals and roads those people are ulikely to get any benefit from, but I digress.

The only jobs the foreign workers take is the ones we can't find people in the country with either a) the skill or b) the willingness to do. As an employer who brings many of these people in across our organisation (becuase the skilled workforce literally does not exist in this country), I can assure you the process is thorough, in fact I would say it's overly beauracratic and restrictive on business, but that's just me.

We have pretty much full employment, we have jobs that need doing - I'm not sure what you have to fear from these workers who comtribute in full to our economy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say nothing will get built in the immediate future. One day at some point in the future WA will get a new stadium but i think there will be many head fakes and false alarms between now and that day and this will be one of them.

Colin will talk up a storm and propose this and propose that. When the time comes to sign contracts and commit the money and go past the point of no return it will fall over and probably just continue into an interminable talk fest. They money will just not get put up and that is that. Colin will just talk about to get people excited and look like he is on the side of the people who think a new stadium should be a priority.

Fair bit of dribble there.

Let's for one second park the refugee issue, becuase I doubt we will find any common ground there.

Those "unskilled" workers that you are talking about actually can't come to the country to work. You can't just rock up here and say "I want a job". And the minimg companies who bring these workers in pay wages & salaries to those people to do so - which gets taxed and pays for those hospitals and roads you are talking about - hospitals and roads those people are ulikely to get any benefit from, but I digress.

The only jobs the foreign workers take is the ones we can't find people in the country with either a) the skill or b) the willingness to do. As an employer who brings many of these people in across our organisation (becuase the skilled workforce literally does not exist in this country), I can assure you the process is thorough, in fact I would say it's overly beauracratic and restrictive on business, but that's just me.

We have pretty much full employment, we have jobs that need doing - I'm not sure what you have to fear from these workers who comtribute in full to our economy.

Sounds like investment on higher level education wouldn't go astray. It should deliver long term returns anyway.

Australia is a modified market economy and as such all markets respond to the most price effective and efficient means of operation. And yes that sometimes includes importing skilled labour. Any workers in this country have to pay income tax as well as any consumption based taxes and levys etc. eg GST. So the argument that they only use our infrastructure and dont help fund it is a bit off. If you look at foreigners as an import they can only benefit our economy and wealth. If they didnt we wouldn't let them in but sometimes they offer a more efficient workforce and when we are at full employment as we are currently u cant even argue they are stealing our jobs. Refugees are a different predominately ethical matter.
Im not having a go at u GM its good to have a devils advocate round here but maybe u should try being a tiny bit optimistic every now and then. Im sure we will get a stadium eventually

Sounds like investment on higher level education wouldn't go astray. It should deliver long term returns anyway.
Yep, that's happening. But those workers who are in uni or leaving uni are 5-10 years away from having the skills to manage and run the projects...

Anyway, we're getting sidetracked.

It might be time to think above the functions of a CBD. It should a place for centralised commerical and entertainment purposes rather than having too many residential high rise. It is ridiculous to see a State Government cannot use the land around the CBD for devloping a stadium for sporting purposes.
By the way, is the Turf Club owned by the government ? Are they in the business of horse racing or property development ?

It might be time to think above the functions of a CBD. It should a place for centralised commerical and entertainment purposes rather than having too many residential high rise. It is ridiculous to see a State Government cannot use the land around the CBD for devloping a stadium for sporting purposes.
By the way, is the Turf Club owned by the government ? Are they in the business of horse racing or property development ?

What? Perth has too few residents in the Perth LGA.

What? Perth has too few residents in the Perth LGA.

I am more referring to the fact that land in and around the CBD should be for public entertainment (including sports) and Comerical purposes as a priority. We might end up having the stadium in Cockburn if lands within 15km of the CBD is not available.

Apparently one of the reasons reason Burswood is favoured is that it is the only location capable of hosting the World Athletics Championships as there needs to be a warm up facility located within a certain distance.

If the Belmont development is now going ahead does that make it Burswood or nothing?

Apparently one of the reasons reason Burswood is favoured is that it is the only location capable of hosting the World Athletics Championships as there needs to be a warm up facility located within a certain distance.

If the Belmont development is now going ahead does that make it Burswood or nothing?

I heard Glenn Mitchell talking about that on ABC radio the other day. He seemed to think it was a very prestigious event, and that we should bid for it.

But, I think that short term thinking will win the day and we will end up with a footy only stadium.

Subi Council and residents deserve to lose the oval.

They've been nothing but a giant pain in the arse for the last 25 years.

If a footy crowd for a few hours once a week for 22 weeks with the occasional light towers on until 10pm is your biggest bug bear then you need to get out and see the World. I lived in the 1 or 1.5km parking radius or whatever it is around the ground for a couple of years and was never once bothered by the crowd or the lights.

While I likethe area and would be happy to have a new ground built there I certainly would not be upset to see Subi council lose all revenue benefits from having the ground there if it is relocated.
I wonder if anyone down at the Subiaco council has realised how much Sunday afternoon revenue the area stands to lose if a new stadium moved to Belmont or Burswood. I'm curious to know what level of behind the scene lobbying they have going on, because there seems to be little public lobbying happening on their part.

I wonder if anyone down at the Subiaco council has realised how much Sunday afternoon revenue the area stands to lose if a new stadium moved to Belmont or Burswood. I'm curious to know what level of behind the scene lobbying they have going on, because there seems to be little public lobbying happening on their part.

It would be suicide for them to lobby publicly. Most of the residents there don't want anything to do with a stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread New Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back