Mega Thread New Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: New Stadium - Time for Cautious Optimism?

I'm no expert on stadium construction, but here's my wishlist:

1) Designed so that it's easy to upgrade seating capacity in the future (make it so that it's a relatively trivial task to whack an extra tier on top! :thumbsu:)
2) Ground dimensions identical to Subiaco Oval
3) East-West orientation so the grass can grow (lol Etihad)

Location great, but 60k is a joke. Will be ready for an 'upgrade' before they finishing building it.

It's only an extra 15k seats on what we have now - West Coast already have 55k members, plus lots more than arent on the waiting list. It should be 70-80k, and designed to be expandable up to 100k in the future to avoid this who debate happening in 10-15 years time.

60k is so shortsited.

I think you forgot that if anything West Coast membership might not raise from a larger capacity ground. I would imagine there is more than 1 or 2 members holding onto their memberships during the lean years because they know they will struggle to get one when we are up and about again.

60,000 is more than enough. We do not want to be like Melbourne or PA where we the number of empty seats outweight the people watching.

Have to disagree with everyone whinging about 60,000 seats - i think it's perfectly adequate for the vast majorirty of events this city will have.

The key component is making sure it is scaleable to increase into the future = however - only derbies will fill the stadium each year and the occasional final.

if we get crowds of 35-40k in a 80 seat stadium - there'll be no atmosphere. I've been to games at the MCG with that crowd and it feel empty.

I'd rather 50,000 packed into a 60,000 stadium, than 50,000 into an 80,000 anyday.

In Melbourne last year - in the H&A season - only 15 games had a crowd higher than 60,000. All of them involved two victorian clubs.

Given Collingwood have the most member by a fair margin - even more than us even when you include our waiting list - they make a fair comparison as to what sort of crowds you might get when you only have one set of supportes.

In the games Collingwood played against WC and Adelaide in 2010 - they got 38k and 42k respectively. If we think we are going to get 70-80k week in week out fromone set of supporters - people are dreaming.

In 2009 they got 41k against Ade, 35k against port, 44k against freo, 47k against freo, 54k against sydney. Even in a final against adelaide they just got over 60k - (62k) - and you'd imagine there'd be more adelaide fans making the short hop to melbourne than would make west of the nullabor

If only they'd chosen Burswood when Packer was willing to build the lot. Not only would we have a state-of-the-art stadium, we'd have a Soccer/Rugby stadium as well and since it's not a government-funded build, it would've been built by now.

In the games Collingwood played against WC and Adelaide in 2010 - they got 38k and 42k respectively. If we think we are going to get 70-80k week in week out fromone set of supporters - people are dreaming.

The difference is Collingwood fans can see there club play 17-18 times a year. West Coast & Freo members only get 12. So the ability to pick and choose games is deminished.

I believe a successfull West Coast would reguarly get 45-50 for most games, 60+ for derbies - and 60+ finals.

Even if these numbers are less to start with, the issue with a 60k is not that it will be full immediately, but that it has no room to grow over the next 10+ years. I dont think anyone would expect "70-80k week in week out", and that's not the issue

If only they'd chosen Burswood when Packer was willing to build the lot. Not only would we have a state-of-the-art stadium, we'd have a Soccer/Rugby stadium as well and since it's not a government-funded build, it would've been built by now.

Pretty certain he wasn't willing to build the lot. He was willing to throw in some funding though...

Have to disagree with everyone whinging about 60,000 seats - i think it's perfectly adequate for the vast majorirty of events this city will have.

The key component is making sure it is scaleable to increase into the future = however - only derbies will fill the stadium each year and the occasional final.

if we get crowds of 35-40k in a 80 seat stadium - there'll be no atmosphere. I've been to games at the MCG with that crowd and it feel empty.

I'd rather 50,000 packed into a 60,000 stadium, than 50,000 into an 80,000 anyday.

In Melbourne last year - in the H&A season - only 15 games had a crowd higher than 60,000. All of them involved two victorian clubs.

Given Collingwood have the most member by a fair margin - even more than us even when you include our waiting list - they make a fair comparison as to what sort of crowds you might get when you only have one set of supportes.

In 2009 they got 41k against Ade, 35k against port, 44k against freo, 47k against freo, 54k against sydney. Even in a final against adelaide they just got over 60k - (62k) - and you'd imagine there'd be more adelaide fans making the short hop to melbourne than would make west of the nullabor

Excellent post. I agree completely.

The difference is Collingwood fans can see there club play 17-18 times a year. West Coast & Freo members only get 12. So the ability to pick and choose games is deminished.

I believe a successfull West Coast would reguarly get 45-50 for most games, 60+ for derbies - and 60+ finals.

Even if these numbers are less to start with, the issue with a 60k is not that it will be full immediately, but that it has no room to grow over the next 10+ years. I dont think anyone would expect "70-80k week in week out", and that's not the issue

Bingo - i reckon that's what we'd get as well. I don't see the sense in building a stadium to cater for 2 - 3 games per year. having 45-55 sitting in a 75k stadium will not be as enjoyable (atmosphere wise) as 45-55k in a 60k stadium. The game will have a better atmosphere for 20 of 22 H&A games at the cost of some missing out for the derbies (finals would be about the mark). Buy a membership and you won't have that issue.

Scaleability shouldn't be an issue (i wouldn't have thought) - set the foundations so you can throw an extra tier on when necessary.

I might just add to the previous about the stadium - what is also important is that we have a massive increase in corporate facilities - commensurate with the demand - we will fill that straight away i'd reckon.

I agree with FS - 60,000 is about right as outside of derbies and finals the stadium wouldn't fill.

Wouldn't want it to be any less than that though.
I reckon you want some games sold out too - it adds to the brand and the demand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon you want some games sold out too - it adds to the brand and the demand

the clubs certainly would - memberships are much easier to sell if you need one to guarantee a seat. There's much less incentive to take up a membership if you know on any given weekend you can buy a ticket at the gate

Would of thought the belmont park race course was a better option - though they sold out to housing developers!!

Larger area, plenty of parking, no problem with niose for rock concerts, east access, train, bus

Area of subi including carparks = 61,000 sqm
area of tennis centre and ajoining land = 77,000 sqm

any way happy cause I'm in Vic Park :)

One of my bugbears now is that only having access to half a membership - i can't take my family to the game. I'd be griping if that wasn't remedied - but i reckon it will.

With a 60k stadium - i'll be able to take my kids to most games each year on a whim. In addition - i daresay 3 & 5 game memberships will become available - which will suit a lot of people who want to be members - but 11 games is unrealistic.

And if we take the dome as an example - there's hardly a poor seat in the house. I've camped myself up on level 3 and the viewing is still great - as is the comfort. So even if i do rock up GA with the family - it'll still be a decent afteroon out

the clubs certainly would - memberships are much easier to sell if you need one to guarantee a seat. There's much less incentive to take up a membership if you know on any given weekend you can buy a ticket at the gate

Spot on.

With better viewing available too, I would expect memberships to drop or WCE to offer a 'economy' membership rather than discounting prices

Spot on.

With better viewing available too, I would expect memberships to drop or WCE to offer a 'economy' membership rather than discounting prices

Better still maybe they'll actually have to do some work to keep members / sign new ones

Better still maybe they'll actually have to do some work to keep members / sign new ones

The long term benefit for WCE will be a new generation of supports, most kids at the moment wouldnt have chance to see the Eagles play which means they are more likely to become Freo supporters

60,000 wouldnt be enough, it would be the same with whats happening now, your current 40,000 members + waiting in the wings and people that cant be bothered waiting in the wings. Theres your 60,000, same membership prices no 3 game memberships etc, perfect for the eagles corporates and again no people would be able to go to the gate and get in like you can do at the MCG. Needs to be at least 75,000 seater. Even if we dont fill it out 60,000 in a 75,000 seater would still be a good atmosphere. Derbies would be sold out and eagles finals would be sold out. How often is the MCG sold out. If its 60000 it will be all membered again and high membership prices because of the demand and nor casual supporters can go because there will be no seats left, exactly the same as it is today.

60,000 wouldnt be enough, it would be the same with whats happening now, your current 40,000 members + waiting in the wings and people that cant be bothered waiting in the wings. Theres your 60,000, same membership prices no 3 game memberships etc, perfect for the eagles corporates and again no people would be able to go to the gate and get in like you can do at the MCG. Needs to be at least 75,000 seater. Even if we dont fill it out 60,000 in a 75,000 seater would still be a good atmosphere. Derbies would be sold out and eagles finals would be sold out. How often is the MCG sold out. If its 60000 it will be all membered again and high membership prices because of the demand and nor casual supporters can go because there will be no seats left, exactly the same as it is today.

But you'll be getting 20,000 more people to the game thus tickets will be far easier to obtain...

Your point is baffling :confused:

At the moment we're getting crowds in the mid to high 30,000's so around 5,000 or so (>10%) of our membership aren't turning up each week.

So even with a membership in the high 50,000 region would mean that crowds would hover around the 50,000 mark for most games.

60,000 is a reasonable capacity

But you'll be getting 20,000 more people to the game thus tickets will be far easier to obtain...

Your point is baffling :confused:

Yes 20,000 more to the game which will be 20000 more members. Casaul supporters still wont go as there will be no tickets left. Even if 10,000 members dont go these casual supporters wont and cant get a hold of the tickets, the same as it is today. There will be no walk ups and therefore as supply equals demand memberships will still be high and west coast corporates will still be licking there lips and the average punter still wont be able to go to the games as the tickets will be too much and there wont be any spare tickets.

At the moment we're getting crowds in the mid to high 30,000's so around 5,000 or so (>10%) of our membership aren't turning up each week.

So even with a membership in the high 50,000 region would mean that crowds would hover around the 50,000 mark for most games.

60,000 is a reasonable capacity

But you cant go to the gate and get a ticket like you can the MCG as the meberships will sell out. So even if 10,000 members dont turn up, there will be 10,000 people that cant access these tickets, same problem as today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread New Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back