NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

How exactly would kids be steered away from the game?

If 19's disappeared tomorrow there wouldn't be a kid in the state who wanted to get a game of football not be able to. I dare say the back end of the reserves who barely train and dont particularly care would be the ones impacted.

People at the coal face have the same feedback. 2's football is struggling big time. Nearly all D1 clubs didn't field full 2's teams at stages of the year (yes maybe covid had an impact).
It means there are players that are going to miss out on playing footy all together each weeks. You take out 19s and put these players straight into senior footy there will be lists of up to 50-60 players. So you could see 10+ players miss out on a game each week.
And if you say go and find a team with less players, then that's the issue. Why should 17,18,19 year old kids go to different competitions, just to get a game of footy.
Not to mention the financial burden it will put on clubs. When you have no 19s, it means less membership's, less supporters,, functions have less numbers, all in turn meaning less and less money for each club.
Take an Eltham for example with 2 under 19 teams. What are you going to tell them? Either stay and risk not playing football at all or go to another club? Do you know how stupid that is?

Sorry but saying the 19s or 18s should no longer exist is actually laughable.

It means there are players that are going to miss out on playing footy all together each weeks. You take out 19s and put these players straight into senior footy there will be lists of up to 50-60 players. So you could see 10+ players miss out on a game each week.
And if you say go and find a team with less players, then that's the issue. Why should 17,18,19 year old kids go to different competitions, just to get a game of footy.
Not to mention the financial burden it will put on clubs. When you have no 19s, it means less membership's, less supporters,, functions have less numbers, all in turn meaning less and less money for each club.
Take an Eltham for example with 2 under 19 teams. What are you going to tell them? Either stay and risk not playing football at all or go to another club? Do you know how stupid that is?

Sorry but saying the 19s or 18s should no longer exist is actually laughable.
Again as i said there are outliers. Eltham have plenty of juniors coming through and easily field 3 teams. This isn't the case for most sides in current football climate. it.

Many clubs are throwing huge money at 19's (free everything) since the points came in id doubt financially they add anything.

Anyway everyone is entitled to their opinion. I cant see any metro league doing this any time soon. Has been discussed and considered in country leagues.

Again as i said there are outliers. Eltham have plenty of juniors coming through and easily field 3 teams. This isn't the case for most sides in current football climate. it.

Many clubs are throwing huge money at 19's (free everything) since the points came in id doubt financially they add anything.

Anyway everyone is entitled to their opinion. I cant see any metro league doing this any time soon. Has been discussed and considered in country leagues.
Yep everyone has the right to an opinion. But you are completely wrong about them not bringing anything financially.

Yep everyone has the right to an opinion. But you are completely wrong about them not bringing anything financially.

I'd have to agree here. 10571 I think your recent posts indicate you have probably never been involved at the coalface of running a local footy club. I was involved at Heidelberg when they had no under 19s as well as when they had under 19s and it was like being involved at two different clubs such is the difference their presence impacted the club.

From what I've been told, they're currently training and playing on AK Lines till Beverly Rd Oval is good to go. They'll get 2-3 weeks of training on the completed ground as well prior to the first game back on it. Should be ready for R7 or R9

From what I've been told, they're currently training and playing on AK Lines till Beverly Rd Oval is good to go. They'll get 2-3 weeks of training on the completed ground as well prior to the first game back on it. Should be ready for R7 or R9

Not ideal for a first season up, but the long-term benefits of a ground that can actually last a winter will be great.

100% not to mention making it a proper size.

Fantastic result. I’m pretty sure lower tried to get theirs bigger when it was redone to no avail. Not sure how Banyule managed it.
Probably the amount of unused dirt that was around the ground which made it possible. Lower probably too close to existing infrastructure/road.

In their defence it would probably have been done earlier if not for the biblical rains Victoria got during late September and well into October that delayed the project
I reckon the bigger ground will be beneficial for Banyule when they get on the ground. Looking forward to seeing both Blackmore-Moore kids play together.

Absolutely would be keeping under 19's for quite a few reasons which have mostly already been stated. However Given it is pretty much an under 20's comp no, I'd change to u20 or even u21's - it would give the clubs more flexibility to play young kids where they're most suited, and potentially keep a few more kids in the game for an extra season or 2, as there is always a drop off from 19's to senior football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As speculated earlier in the pre-season NFNL is following some other local leagues in abolishing the stand rule
Why does it take a year of failure to realise

1. It’s not required at local level
2. Expecting an umpire who has doubled up, sometimes by himself to adjudicate it successfully is plain stupid

Thank god common sense has prevailed.

EFNL website displaying practice match: Whittlesea v Doncaster at Whittlesea Sat Apr 1.

Wonder if Robbie Gray will venture up Plenty Rd with his new team to put on a clinic at the showgrounds?

Lock in the finals at Preston wind tunnel for the indefinite future.

Not sure why the average club or fan should be excited about “strengthening” between Bullants and NFNL? Genuine question do clubs get anything out of it

Lock in the finals at Preston wind tunnel for the indefinite future.

Not sure why the average club or fan should be excited about “strengthening” between Bullants and NFNL? Genuine question do clubs get anything out of it

Not sure this is the case. The strengthening of the connection is because the Bullants have got barely any players. They are trying to tap into the NFNL to grow their pool of potential players. Nothing to do with using Cramer Street.

I know for a fact that the Bullants were extremely annoyed that multiple NFNL homegrown players were going to Coburg over Preston over the last few seasons. They are trying to stop that happening.

Not sure this is the case. The strengthening of the connection is because the Bullants have got barely any players. They are trying to tap into the NFNL to grow their pool of potential players. Nothing to do with using Cramer Street.

I know for a fact that the Bullants were extremely annoyed that multiple NFNL homegrown players were going to Coburg over Preston over the last few seasons. They are trying to stop that happening.
How can the Bullants have barely any players? There is 1000 blokes who would play VFL if asked.

Come scout games and offer blokes the opportunity to come down then?

Not sure about that anymore. Would be a massive paycut to go from D1 NFNL to VFL, and to go to the bullants means you will get pumped every week.
Left field - Maybe the Bullants become the 'next' club into NFNL as the historical competition they have competed in for years is no longer their level/appealing to player and fan base?

Chump 🏆

Left field - Maybe the Bullants become the 'next' club into NFNL as the historical competition they have competed in for years is no longer their level/appealing to player and fan base?

Chump 🏆
Any player in NFNL would jump at the chance to play for Preston and Preston’s fan base is quite large come down on a sat/sun you will be quite surprised.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back