NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

May be a controversial opinion. But does any one else think under 19s football has had its day.

It probably had its place in the past, but the game is generally clean and fair now. Kids would have no issues playing reserves, many already do and or playing seniors.

Reserves football (not all) has declined significantly. Many clubs are just fielding them because they have to, calling on past players to fill spots. IMO it would make this comp into a true "development" comp. I feel like it would actually add meaning to the comp.

Kids can finish 17's and then find a senior club. Sure "Kids will be lost to the game" but really is that an issue if they leave after 17s or after a year of 19's.

The AFL did it. I think its time local football followed suit.

May be a controversial opinion. But does any one else think under 19s football has had its day.

It probably had its place in the past, but the game is generally clean and fair now. Kids would have no issues playing reserves, many already do and or playing seniors.

Reserves football (not all) has declined significantly. Many clubs are just fielding them because they have to, calling on past players to fill spots. IMO it would make this comp into a true "development" comp. I feel like it would actually add meaning to the comp.

Kids can finish 17's and then find a senior club. Sure "Kids will be lost to the game" but really is that an issue if they leave after 17s or after a year of 19's.

Sorry but that is probably the dumbest thing I have seen you post!
Most senior clubs have 50 senior players to select from at the start of the season - They tell their upcoming juniors to find another senior club? LOL

Successful local clubs take pride in developing their own players through junior programs at considerable expense to their club and a lot of that development feeds other clubs who have no junior clubs

The irony of your suggestion is that if the under 19's were abolished those clubs committed to developing players at the top age groups would be much better of financially! The under 19 competition develops senior players - it is strong at DIV 1 level (Better than playing against reserves players)

Most senior clubs have 50 senior players to select from at the start of the season - They tell their upcoming juniors to find another senior club? LOL

Successful local clubs take pride in developing their own players through junior programs at considerable expense to their club and a lot of that development feeds other clubs who have no junior clubs

The irony of your suggestion is that if the under 19's were abolished those clubs committed to developing players at the top age groups would be much better of financially! The under 19 competition develops senior players - it is strong at DIV 1 level (Better than playing against reserves players)
How many have 50 dedicated senior players? Not many.

Heaps of teams struggled to field reserves and 19s last season.

Maybe the big clubs like Heidelberg and Montmorency didn’t but the vast majority did.

Kids still have a pathway, age graded just finishes at 17s not 19s

My humble opinion it needs to stay however it needs to be U18s maybe U18 1/2 instead of U19 1/2 where some 'kids' are playing and have turned 20 due to rules. The rule is:

The NFNL is permitting up to a maximum of 5 overage players to play in the under-19.

This permit may be assessed on the following conditions.

For U/19 ½ competition in 2023, the age shall be extended back to 1st January, 2022, thus allowing the player to be 20 on January 1, 2023. Any player born prior to January 1 2003.

100% agree with you. There I some stupid posts on here, but would go down as one of the dumbest I've heard. If you want to kill local footy and local clubs in particularly, then stop playing 19s/18s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does his $17.5 k sign on fee count as part of the salary cap ?
Salary cap too hard to control by the local comps
league doesn’t give a shit cos they want these big names playing in the comp. Salary cap is a token gesture to look like they care about equalisation. It’s a shame cos local footy is meant to be about community and fair play. Get rid of salary cap and reduce points.

100% agree with you. There I some stupid posts on here, but would go down as one of the dumbest I've heard. If you want to kill local footy and local clubs in particularly, then stop playing 19s/18s.
How exactly would 19's disappearing tomorrow kill local football?

Kids would finishing there junior career in under 17s (maybe up it to 17.5) and continue on as normal playing at their local club. The reserves would suddenly become a young comp full of up and coming talent.

The amount of clubs struggling with reserves is worrying. Relying on calling players every Friday. Maybe not an issue in the top clubs at D1 but plenty struggle.

The AFL canned 19's for good reason. Because they are adults and can easily play open age football.

Any way everyone is entitled to there opinion. I wouldn't be surprised to see country leagues scrapping it in the near future.

Kids would finishing there junior career in under 17s (maybe up it to 17.5) and continue on as normal playing at their local club. The reserves would suddenly become a young comp full of up and coming talent.

The amount of clubs struggling with reserves is worrying. Relying on calling players every Friday. Maybe not an issue in the top clubs at D1 but plenty struggle.

The AFL canned 19's for good reason. Because they are adults and can easily play open age football.
Perhaps kill the 19s but create a genuine thirds comp for either open age or under 23s. Way too many kids are lost to the game and if clubs had the ability to play the bottom end of there list to prop up a thirds comp it might be keep more teams on the park. It could create a genuine development league

Does his $17.5 k sign on fee count as part of the salary cap ?
Salary cap too hard to control by the local comps
McKernan 6pts, McEvoy 5pts, McNeice 4pts, East 4pts,Jed Longmire (bushrangers)4pts, Aron Gundry (Carlton VFL )5pts
Plus Jetta 5pts,Llyod 4pts,Fitzgerald 6pts, Hobbs 4pts
These 10 players are 47 pts, one point over
If they're all right to play they'll have to leave one of these blokes out and play a few 1pointers which will be good for the club giving a few local blokes a go

Any way everyone is entitled to there opinion. I wouldn't be surprised to see country leagues scrapping it in the near future.
Because steering into young people giving the game away is nothing short of idiotic..

McKernan 6pts, McEvoy 5pts, McNeice 4pts, East 4pts,Jed Longmire (bushrangers)4pts, Aron Gundry (Carlton VFL )5pts
Plus Jetta 5pts,Llyod 4pts,Fitzgerald 6pts, Hobbs 4pts
These 10 players are 47 pts, one point over
If they're all right to play they'll have to leave one of these blokes out and play a few 1pointers which will be good for the club giving a few local blokes a go

Only take one of them out? How does that work?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Because steering into young people giving the game away is nothing short of idiotic..
How exactly would kids be steered away from the game?

If 19's disappeared tomorrow there wouldn't be a kid in the state who wanted to get a game of football not be able to. I dare say the back end of the reserves who barely train and dont particularly care would be the ones impacted.

People at the coal face have the same feedback. 2's football is struggling big time. Nearly all D1 clubs didn't field full 2's teams at stages of the year (yes maybe covid had an impact).

How exactly would kids be steered away from the game?

If 19's disappeared tomorrow there wouldn't be a kid in the state who wanted to get a game of football not be able to. I dare say the back end of the reserves who barely train and dont particularly care would be the ones impacted.

People at the coal face have the same feedback. 2's football is struggling big time. Nearly all D1 clubs didn't field full 2's teams at stages of the year (yes maybe covid had an impact).
This is a debate worth having. 19s an issue but repetitive blowouts in the Ressies isn’t great either.

This is a debate worth having. 19s an issue but repetitive blowouts in the Ressies isn’t great either.
Under 19s should be under 20s.
Yarra jfl is now upto under 18s and no doubt nfnl would get to that point eventually too which only leaves a year of under 19s for some players if that age group remains the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back