NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

From HS

How Eltham landed Mitch Robinson for NFNL Division 1 relegation battle​

Eltham coach Tim Bongetti reveals how he recruited ex-AFL gun Mitch Robinson for the Panthers’ relegation dogfight with Macleod on Saturday.

Eltham has secured a major inclusion for its season-defining clash with Macleod on Saturday.
Former Carlton and Brisbane Lions star Mitch Robinson is set to make his Northern league debut for the Panthers at Central Park.

Robinson is a long-time friend of Eltham coach Tim Bongetti.

The pair lived together in 2008 in Tasmania when Bongetti was playing VFL for the Devils, before Robinson was drafted to the Blues.

The 35-year-old went on to play 247 AFL games, kicking 129 goals, represented Australia and win a Murray-Merrett Medal as the Lions’ best-and-fairest.

Robinson has made several one-off appearances this season, suiting up for junior club Lauderdale in Tasmania, Ovens and Murray club Wodonga Raiders and Great Flinders outfit Elliston Districts.

Bongetti was looking forward to his old friend pulling on the black and red.

“I played VFL footy down in Tassie when Mitch was coming through and we ended up being close friends, to the point he moved in with me and my house mates,” Bongetti said.

“When he got drafted to Carlton, I moved back to Melbourne and I was one of the few people he knew.

“He was thinking about moving to Melbourne this time last year and I put the feelers out to come to Eltham, we stayed in contact and we’d been trying to get him down for an appearance.

“It just so happens this week we could get him down and before the transfer deadline.

“He’ll be a very handy inclusion for the game and we hope he has a good day.”

A win would be a massive boost to Eltham’s aspirations of playing Division 1 football again in 2025.

The Panthers currently sit in ninth, a game ahead of the Kangas, and hold a razor thin 1.95 per cent advantage.

Bongetti is hoping a big crowd gets behind the club in arguably its most important game of the year.

“Mitch is a quality person, he gives everyone the time of day,” Bongetti said.

“He’s a great character, he plays the game pretty tough and we hope we can get a good crowd to see him pull on the Panther jumper and help the team over the line.”

The match will be played just two days before the June 30 transfer deadline.

Unless another club swoops on Robinson he could remain on Eltham’s books for the remainder of the season.

The former Blue and Lion and his family live in Queensland but if he doesn’t sign anywhere else Bongetti will be working hard to ensure Saturday isn’t the last time he dons the guernsey.

“I’d love to say yes but he’s definitely going back to Brisbane, that’s where he lives,” he said.

“It’s definitely a talking point for me and Mitch but there’s nothing set in stone.”

Meanwhile, the coach himself is locked in until the end of 2025.

Having led the club to a drought-breaking premiership last season and guided it through its Division 1 return, Eltham announced Bongetti had re-upped for another season.

I was tipping Eltham to win before Robinson was named. His inclusion
Should help.
Hope it doesn’t unsettle the side.
Good luck Panthers.

Are North back?
10571z hard to win from 5th but impossible from 6th were the doggies are at the moment
Said it a few weeks back, they have poor depth and this could be the difference between playing finals or not playing finals
Think it will be between Greensborough and Nth Heid for 5th spot

Bergs definitely favourites.
But it would be kind of nice going into a grand final where all the pressure is on the other team to win and you have nothing to loose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10571z hard to win from 5th but impossible from 6th were the doggies are at the moment
Said it a few weeks back, they have poor depth and this could be the difference between playing finals or not playing finals
Think it will be between Greensborough and Nth Heid for 5th spot

Awful time to drop a winnable game. As I have said all year, no one is grabbing their chance this year and that’s what’s keeping north in with a sniff of top 3. Round 17 and the final 5 will be locked. Round 18 will decide the top 3 imo. Top 5 about to start playing each other in next month.

We’re all assuming no one beating tigers so that’s an auto loss. Dogs and Mont have had their two turns. 3 other teams in the 5 have it coming.

Watched Eltham v Macleod yesterday. Macleod would get beaten by a few Div 2 teams right now. Hard to watch.

Can the roosters make finals? Have a few mates down there that keep playing it down but their next 4 is Macleod hurst eltham and Bundy.

Watched Eltham v Macleod yesterday. Macleod would get beaten by a few Div 2 teams right now. Hard to watch.

Can the roosters make finals? Have a few mates down there that keep playing it down but their next 4 is Macleod hurst eltham and Bundy.
Possible. Percentage is poor so harder.

Crazy year Mont have gone from 2nd to 5th is a week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back