NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic win by the Bulls
How good are Heidelberg, treated the bulldogs with contempt today
80 points in front and then took the foot off
If you selected the best team from the 9 other clubs on div 1 at the moment, I would still back the Tigers to win

Urgent smoke signals coming from Para Rd heading to Sorrento......

Young ruckman out till probably finals, both key forwards out, were very lucky last week from what I was told and now a loss to a team that was on the bottom.

I was wrong!!
Hurstbridge way too good even with their outs.
Great win by Bundoora though.
Hurstbridge 38 shots at goal to 20 and only won by 48 points - Maybe a missed opportunity to build some percentage, not that it will matter with the Burgs in the comp!

Fantastic win by the Bulls
How good are Heidelberg, treated the bulldogs with contempt today
80 points in front and then took the foot off
If you selected the best team from the 9 other clubs on div 1 at the moment, I would still back the Tigers to win
We were at the game today in the hope that there was 1 side that could challenge the Bergs in DIV1 - Unfortunately unless something happens to 20 Bergs senior players $1.01 is overs for the Bergs to win the flag!
I got the opportunity to meet some of the committee at Heidelberg today and I can see why they are so dominant - The team off the ground at Heidelberg are business professionals - The club is run like a business and it is really obvious why they are so strong on the field when they have such a strong and professional group of people running the club.
There are many clubs that have professional business people running their clubs like Heidelberg and pay Football Managers, President, etc whilst other senior football clubs have no option other than to have the club run by the Mums & Dads of senior players - That is the huge difference I reckon however some clubs simply have no option other than for the Mums & Dads left to run the club which you have to admire but know that they will never reach the level of the likes of Heidelberg cause the committee members are worried about their little Johnny getting a game each week rather than the 5 year strategy plan that I heard about today.

We were at the game today in the hope that there was 1 side that could challenge the Bergs in DIV1 - Unfortunately unless something happens to 20 Bergs senior players $1.01 is overs for the Bergs to win the flag!
I got the opportunity to meet some of the committee at Heidelberg today and I can see why they are so dominant - The team off the ground at Heidelberg are business professionals - The club is run like a business and it is really obvious why they are so strong on the field when they have such a strong and professional group of people running the club.
There are many clubs that have professional business people running their clubs like Heidelberg and pay Football Managers, President, etc whilst other senior football clubs have no option other than to have the club run by the Mums & Dads of senior players - That is the huge difference I reckon however some clubs simply have no option other than for the Mums & Dads left to run the club which you have to admire but know that they will never reach the level of the likes of Heidelberg cause the committee members are worried about their little Johnny getting a game each week rather than the 5 year strategy plan that I heard about today.

There is a story within the season at least with who they will meet. 2-6th. Everyone starting to get injuries and loses they shouldn’t have. 10 rounds in, anyone got a lock on who bergs will play in granny? I doubt it..Tigers were clinical today. Their backline is just elite. High quality users and fitness on another level. If you don’t want to get down and dirty and make it a scrap. It’s all over.

Same Commentary as last week in Div 1 for me - Premiers signed & sealed however relegation is between Macleod and Eltham for me - Bundoora still have A grade talent that the other 2 don't and should win more games at home.
Eltham v Macleod next week at Eltham is Huge - Macleod lose this game they are off to DIV2 next year I reckon.

There’s a lot of resignation in this thread. And we’re only in round 10. Anything can happen in finals. Anyone remember Boro in 2019? Best side all year by far. In 2010 Heidelberg won the second semi by 80 odd points and were absolute certainties to win their 5th flag in a row. Come Grand Final day and by 1/4 time had no bench due to injuries and ultimately got rolled.

There’s a lot of resignation in this thread. And we’re only in round 10. Anything can happen in finals. Anyone remember Boro in 2019? Best side all year by far. In 2010 Heidelberg won the second semi by 80 odd points and were absolute certainties to win their 5th flag in a row. Come Grand Final day and by 1/4 time had no bench due to injuries and ultimately got rolled.
Thats true - Do you want examples of situations like this year where sides are just dominant and win without any opposition or just highlight those very rare years where the undisbuted favourite got beaten?
Only competition this year in DIV1 is who gets relegated.
DIV2 & DIV3 is going to be much more competitive

What is with this pages obsession with Heidelberg? Getting a bit ridiculous now with this recent poll.

View attachment 2027192
Not sure it’s obsession , I see it as getting due credit for being a powerful well run club.
Would you prefer everyone ridicule the bottom 3 sides ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a story within the season at least with who they will meet. 2-6th. Everyone starting to get injuries and loses they shouldn’t have. 10 rounds in, anyone got a lock on who bergs will play in granny? I doubt it..Tigers were clinical today. Their backline is just elite. High quality users and fitness on another level. If you don’t want to get down and dirty and make it a scrap. It’s all over.
The issue I guess is it’s not that interesting who gets there, it’s not even that interesting regarding relegation. The Div one has dropped in standard, too many players leaving or moving to lower divisions has diluted the league too much. It’s a down year….

The issue I guess is it’s not that interesting who gets there, it’s not even that interesting regarding relegation. The Div one has dropped in standard, too many players leaving or moving to lower divisions has diluted the league too much. It’s a down year….

Have to agree. There’s been a huge drop off in standard from what I’ve seen.

The 2023 Bundoora/North/Mont teams would absolutely murder the non-Heidelberg teams in the top 5 this year.

Heidelberg vs Keilor who would win?
What a great question!
Got me thinking....If I worked at the NFL I would propose to the EDFL an annual match between the 2 premiers from the previous season.
It would be scheduled as the last preseason game of the following season, played at a neutral ground each year, 1 year at NFL next year at EDFL, commencing 2025 between Heidelberg and Keilor - Probably premiers anyway.
I would pay to see those games and drink beer in the sunshine!
Just a thought

Only issue Heidelberg would have is keeping everyone happy when the selection squeeze comes. $1.10 is generous.

Mont, in theory, could challenge them, but losing to Bundoora suggests otherwise.

What a great question!
Got me thinking....If I worked at the NFL I would propose to the EDFL an annual match between the 2 premiers from the previous season.
It would be scheduled as the last preseason game of the following season, played at a neutral ground each year, 1 year at NFL next year at EDFL, commencing 2025 between Heidelberg and Keilor - Probably premiers anyway.
Just a thought
Great idea. Would love to see them playing each other.

Only issue Heidelberg would have is keeping everyone happy when the selection squeeze comes. $1.10 is generous.

Mont, in theory, could challenge them, but losing to Bundoora suggests otherwise.

The good thing for anyone playing them in next month is they won’t have Clarke, Barzen, Wilson. Not saying that will cause them to lose. Might save a little bit of percentage for a top 3/5 birth though.

Last edited:
What a great question!
Just a thought

I went and watched Heidelberg vs Keilor practice match this year. Both sides had heaps out, skills were ok for a very windy day.
Probably be better if it was their last practice match as you suggest above, but it won't be the same as seeing them play at their peak.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back