NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

From HS

Bundoora rallies to defeat Montmorency in stunning NFNL Division 1 upset​

A clutch Jesse King goal and resolute defending has delivered Bundoora one of the upsets of the Northern league season, stunning arch-rival Montmorency.

Bundoora has pulled itself off the canvas to land one of the biggest upsets of the NFNL Division 1 season.
The Bulls stunned arch-rival and premiership hopeful Montmorency by two points at Yulong Reserve on Saturday.

Last year’s grand finalist was starring down relegation after consecutive losses to Macleod and Eltham but showcased its very best when needed most.

In a frantic last quarter, the home team defended resolutely under a barrage of Magpie attacks to prevail 8.5 (53) to 7.9 (51).

Montmorency hit the front through skipper Stef Uzelac but Bundoora came again and young gun Jesse King’s fourth goal of the game, with five minutes remaining, proved the match-winner.

Bulls coach Heath Scotland praised his players for winning ugly.

“Really proud of the boys, it’s been a tough year and this is reward for effort,” Scotland said.

“The boys have stuck fat, stayed positive, and we clawed away and grinded away for an ugly win today, which is what the club needed.

“We were a few men down and under siege (in the last quarter) but the boys kept fighting to save the game … and with luck it went our way.

“All in all I think we played the better footy … our brand of footy was a lot better today.”

In a scrappy, low-scoring affair, Montmorency’s accuracy in front of goal gave it a four-point lead at quarter-time.

Bundoora took control in the middle stages, jumping out to a seven-point lead at half-time and extending the margin to 11 points at the final change.

Blake Murphy gave Montmorency the perfect start, slicing through traffic before snapping truly to reduce the margin to four points.

Uzelac then stepped up, catching Josh Collins holding the ball and kicking truly to put the Magpies two points up.

However, Bundoora would not be denied and King held his nerve to convert from the pocket in front of the clubrooms.

Montmorency laid siege to the Bulls defence in a desperate final push but couldn’t find an inch of space and the hosts flooded back.

Bundoora captain Luke Collins said the players had set themselves some performance indicators for the match.

“It’s always good to get a win over the old mob but especially where the club is sitting at the moment,” Collins said.

“It’s been a tough six or seven weeks but the boys keep backing up.

“We pulled our focus back during the week and had a couple of RFIs leading into the game and we nailed them today and got the reward.

“I reckon it was a little bit of a mindset thing.

“The last few weeks when we were challenged we didn’t step up to the ability we’re capable of and today we really stepped up.”

Jackson Davies and Lachie East were named best-on-ground, taking a string of critical intercept marks and making timely spoils in defence.

King, Brandon Compt, Peter McEvoy and Sam Green also impressed.

The result sees Bundoora jump to eighth and hold a percentage advantage over relegation rivals Eltham and Macleod.

The Bulls take on Greensborough next Saturday at War Memorial Reserve.

Scotland said the team showed what they’re capable of when they dial up the pressure.

“The last two weeks, whether it was confidence, fatigue, effort, I’m not sure, but our ability to hunt the opposition and put pressure on really dropped off and we were punished for that,” he said.

“The leaders really went to work on what we want to stand for and we were really strong in those areas, the boys brought a higher level of heat.”

For Montmorency, Ben Crick was best afield and Nick Green, Uzelac and Connor Kane stood tall.

The Magpies face the daunting task of bouncing back against undefeated ladder-leader Heidelberg at Warringal Park.

Elsewhere in Division 1, Greensborough held off West Preston-Lakeside by 22 points, Banyule topped Macleod by 44 points, Hurstbridge was too good for Eltham in a 48-point win and Heidelberg continued its winning streak with a 58-point win over North Heidelberg.

Mitch Robinson to line up for Panther this week.

Don’t be surprised to see Bongettii to pull the boots on as well

Mitch Robinson to line up for Panther this week.

Don’t be surprised to see Bongettii to pull the boots on as well
Does Robinson pull a crowd? I wouldnt cross the street to watch him personally
Spend the extra money and get Fev Panthers - I would pay to see him have a kick
Must win game for Eltham so playing 1 short if he does a hammy again wouldnt be popular

How long will Mitch la$t ? La$ted not even a qtr playing for wodonga raider$ in a one off few week$ ago doing hi$ hammy🤔
Who really cares, it will pull some to the ground and raise a bit of revenue hopefully.

Does Robinson pull a crowd? I wouldnt cross the street to watch him personally
Spend the extra money and get Fev Panthers - I would pay to see him have a kick
Must win game for Eltham so playing 1 short if he does a hammy again wouldnt be popular
Sorry, I can’t believe Eltham didn’t think to run it by you first, what is going on down at the Panther?

Let$ ju$t hope they get a win and it won't backfire
Tbh They are not guaranteed a win regardless, so having a go now at least sees plenty of games left, if they win or not. They are capable but good on them ffor having a crack at something. The league is in need of something. Is Hurley in for Macleod do we know, Darcy Hogg still at VFL? Things might line up for Eltham in any case.

Tbh They are not guaranteed a win regardless, so having a go now at least sees plenty of games left, if they win or not. They are capable but good on them ffor having a crack at something. The league is in need of something. Is Hurley in for Macleod do we know, Darcy Hogg still at VFL? Things might line up for Eltham in any case.
How dare you have an opinion ..........Ask permission from mum?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How long will Mitch la$t ? La$ted not even a qtr playing for wodonga raider$ in a one off few week$ ago doing hi$ hammy🤔
Robinson is mates with Bongetti, I doubt the entire $$$ thing is a huge factor.

Eltham have a number of injuries and dare say they are bringing him to try and help stay in D1 as opposed to pulling a crowd.

Robinson is mates with Bongetti, I doubt the entire $$$ thing is a huge factor.

Eltham have a number of injuries and dare say they are bringing him to try and help stay in D1 as opposed to pulling a crowd.
If that's the case I'd hope he's playing year out as there are many games to go and funnier things have happened in footy

Honestly what's the point the little money they get through the gate they will have to pay him he has mates everywhere he wouldn't be playing for nothing . Better off playing the best junior kid they have
I’d imagine they think he can help them beat Macleod which would basically keep them in D1. A lot less fuss than dropping back.

If that's the case I'd hope he's playing year out as there are many games to go and funnier things have happened in footy
Transfers close on 30th of June don’t they? If the paperwork doesn’t get done pretty much straight away, he’d technically be an “Eltham player” for the remainder of the year

Hopefully young kid doesn't get dropped for a one gane $$$ chaser

Robbo will be good I reckon, and sounds like Eltham have a few injuries, so it won't impact anyone at selection.

Players get dropped when VFL blokes come back, with more happening around finals time for those clubs not qualifying. Guys who get dropped at finals time, that's when it sucks.

Wouldnt be worried about a 1 off Robbo game.

Robbo will be good I reckon, and sounds like Eltham have a few injuries, so it won't impact anyone at selection.

Players get dropped when VFL blokes come back, with more happening around finals time for those clubs not qualifying. Guys who get dropped at finals time, that's when it sucks.

Wouldnt be worried about a 1 off Robbo game.
Agreed, personally can't see what's wrong with it. If a club needs to pay a player a couple thousand for a one off game that enhances their chances of winning a crucial game which may prevent relegation in the long run then I think that's good business.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back