NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Off topic but something that’s annoyed me for quite some time, local member Anthony Carbines, and the correlation between upgrade works for the club he vocally supports (Macleod), its co-tenant Rosanna CC and its junior club-

1. De Winton Surface + pavillion upgrade

2. De Winton nets upgraded

3. Macleod Junior FC has been demolished with plans to build a brand new state of the art facility.
Add to that the mayor of that council ward (Ibbott) is Councillor Tom Melican, himself a long time player and official at Macleod footy club. Makes for a handy local/state government combination for getting facilities upgrades

Off topic but something that’s annoyed me for quite some time, local member Anthony Carbines, and the correlation between upgrade works for the club he vocally supports (Macleod), its co-tenant Rosanna CC and its junior club-

3. Macleod Junior FC has been demolished with plans to build a brand new state of the art facility.

This is fantastic. My son played cricket against Macleod recently and it was at Greensborough college so works have already started at Macleod park i believe.

Good to see more improvements being made around the league.

All that matters is for the league to shift liability…

Make no mistake if they can’t be sued it’ll be play on.
So what's the solution to it? If it's just about shifting legal responsibility. How would do we deal with it?

It's ok to get on here and have a different view, even bitch, as it's a forum and that's what happens. But I'd be really interested to hear some solutions to how the NFNL, the clubs and the players work through it all?

How do you support the coaches around this?
Support the players?
Support the competition we are part of?
Support your staff (trainers/medics)?

Or do we kick it under the carpet and say too hard and our people don't mean enough to us to try and find some solutions.

Chump

So what's the solution to it? If it's just about shifting legal responsibility. How would do we deal with it?

It's ok to get on here and have a different view, even bitch, as it's a forum and that's what happens. But I'd be really interested to hear some solutions to how the NFNL, the clubs and the players work through it all?

Support the players?

Or do we kick it under the carpet and say too hard and our people don't mean enough to us to try and find some solutions.

Chump
We already have solutions. Clubs atm are required to have the player sit out and require a doctors cert to resume play.

If that time period extends then so be it. Unfortunately there will be clubs and players who bend those rules, hell we saw that in the afl this year.

I believe players will end up signing a “at your own risk” style contract with the league.

From HS

How will a new-look Bundoora shape up under Heath Scotland?​

31 for 31: Bundoora’s off-season changes are well documented, so who are the next generation of leaders to keep the Bulls in the finals hunt?

Bundoora is a “clean slate” heading into the 2024 NFNL Division 1 season.
The Bulls, under new coach Heath Scotland, will have a different look to previous years but still expect to be challenging for finals.

A significant turnover in personnel over the off-season has provided plenty of opportunity for young players to step up and take ownership.

The likes of Jesse King, Jackson Davies, Joel Lamotte, James Sekulovski and Nathan Phillips all played 19 games or more last year and will be asked to step up again this season.

Youngsters such as Zane Barker, Harry Butterworth, Liam Mallia and Hayden Bolzon will be given more responsibility.

Club captain Luke Collins, Lachie East, Danny Younan and Peter McEvoy remain key players and provide much-needed experience.

Scotland said there would be some surprises when the team ran out for Round 1.

“There’s a couple of boys that have stood up for me and will get an opportunity early,” Scotland said.

“I’ve really been impressed with Liam Mallia, a young kid with a big body.

“I think he’ll see some midfield minutes for sure, I know there’s a pull to get him forward but I’m really liking how he’s training.

“Jesse King has probably been our best pre-season trainer.

“A number of boys have an opportunity to step up, you look at (James) Mefflin and (Brandon) Compt, who haven’t played a lot of senior football.

“I’ve seen young guys step up to take strong leadership and raise training standards that are going to earn opportunities.”

After farewelling several senior players, Bundoora received a late boost with VFL-listed forward John Jorgensen recommitting.

After being announced by Ovens and Murray club Wangaratta Rovers, Jorgensen decided to return to Yulong Reserve and has also switched from Essendon VFL to the Northern Bullants.

“He’s focusing on VFL, clearly, but it’s good to secure him and he’ll be pivotal piece to our team and shape of our side,” Scotland said.

“At the end of the day, he was debating leaving, but was at training last week and has signed on the dotted line.”

The Bulls secured one of the most prized off-season recruits with delisted Carlton midfielder Sam Philp signing on for when he’s not on Port Melbourne VFL duties.

Jack Briskey and Tasmania State League Team of the Year big man Sam Green will also split their time between Port Melbourne and Bundoora.

Brayden King (Old Ivanhoe), Matt Morison (Thomastown) and Michael Fitz-Gerald (Montmorency) are also on board.

The Bulls will head to Tatura for a weekend training camp and match simulation against the Goulburn Valley club.

Practice matches against Essendon District clubs East Keilor and Greenvale will follow before the Division 1 season begins with a trip to old rival Montmorency.

Scotland was pleased with how the players were tracking a month out.

“It’s coming along nicely, the boys have put a good block of work in,” he said.

“We’ve just finished a month of education, game-method training, so implementing how we want to play with ball in hand and how we want to defend the ground.

“We’ll be strong in our defensive principles but that won’t be a negative game style, I’m all about taking the game on and we’ve got attacking flair.

“I think we’ve got some quality players that can challenge with ball in hand.

“Our team probably won’t be settled and have a clear identity until the middle of the year because we’re working through a new gameplan with new players.

“There will be some ups and downs but I’m confident we can start the year with a bang and get our game going by half way.”

The new facility was instigated by the Macleod Cricket Club and has been in the pipeline for a few years. Also the fact that the North East Link has taken residence of Windsor Park, where the juniors also play, for the next 5 years, perhaps it may have been a bit of a trade off / compensation . I wouldn't be complaining too much about that situation.

Yea I wouldn’t make anything of those rankings. Some of them are actually quite funny.

It's doing exactly what they want, generating discussion and no doubt followers to their pages.

Doesn't hurt anyone and no one can give an honest go at them as no one watches every game, purely stats and reputation.

We need something to talk about on here I suppose, seems everyone is itching for round 1.

It's doing exactly what they want, generating discussion and no doubt followers to their pages.

Doesn't hurt anyone and no one can give an honest go at them as no one watches every game, purely stats and reputation.

We need something to talk about on here I suppose, seems everyone is itching for round 1.
Couldn’t agree more it’s no doubt run by some blokes fronting their own cash. It’s there time and money.

To me it looks like there giving exposure in a way that hasn’t been done before.

I might not agree with the lists but it’s given me something to talk about.

I certainly am not putting up my own list and am happy hiding behind a big footy alias.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was the eltham vs pines game so low scoring? 20 points a piece

Maybe the wind?

Sounded like Whittlesea vs Eltham was impacted.

I popped into Keilor vs Heidelberg and the game was mainly played at 1 end due to the wind, made the game a tad scrappy too.

Interesting to read the new Mont coach thinks they have been harshly judged over last few years....Might have something to do with Supporters / Club thinking that they are better than the rest but reality is that they arent and they will continue to be harshly judged until they actually win the Silverware and not continually falling over when it counts.

From HS

Montmorency coach Nick Rutley discusses club’s gameplan and expectations

31 for 31: Montmorency coach Nick Rutley has a simple expectation for 2024 and has been pleased with the Magpies’ DNA as he implements a new gameplan.

Playing finals and winning finals, that’s Montmorency coach Nick Rutley’s expectation for 2024.

The Magpies will look to improve on last season’s straight sets NFNL Division 1 finals exit with a new-look gameplan.

Rutley admits it could take four to six weeks for the new system to bed in fully but has been pleased with pre-season preparations.

“I want to be playing finals and winning finals, it’s as simple as that,” the former Carlton AFLW coach and Williamstown VFL assistant said.

“People talk about talent, recruiting or numbers on the track – but it can be misleading.

“Yes, Harvey Hooper and Cal Brown are going to be playing for us but they’re VFL listed and that’s their priority.

“We need to teach a totally new gameplan and make sure it’s embedded and continue to grow it.

“Everyone wants success now and success in September, so our challenge is to work out what Montmorency was good at last year and try and grow that and what they were lacking and bring that up to an improved level.

“We might look a bit messy in the first four to six weeks but it’s all purposeful to make sure we’re playing footy at the right time of year.”

Rutley said the club had a strong contested football mantra that would hold it in good stead.

“They’re probably a little bit harshly judged, Jonno (Manzoney) and Garry (Ramsay) had this team top-two, top-three and playing finals but the expectation is you have to win,” Rutley said.

“The commentary around how long since they’ve won one, finals at Preston, but I strip it back to a really good team one-on-one and at the contest and we’ve been able to build on that.

“I’m really happy that’s part of their DNA.”

Montmorency has been active in the pre-season, securing VFL talent Nash Holmes full-time from Deer Park.

Box Hill Team of the Year star Callum Brown and Port Melbourne captain and reigning best-and-fairest Harvey Hooper have signed on but will remain focused on their VFL commitments.

Ayham Bajramov (Heathmont) and Jacob Naismith (Bundoora) have also joined.

The Magpies will be without gun ruckman Liam Wale-Buxton after he moved south to join Mornington Peninsula club Sorrento, while Jake Spencer has hung up the boots after a mid-season ACL tear.

The likes of captain Sam Binion, Rosbrook Medal runner-up Marcus Lentini and back-to-back Division 1 leading goalkicker Patrick Fitzgerald will again be important cogs.

However, Rutley has been impressed by a number of unheralded Magpies that he is looking to to take the next step.

“I think Benny Paterson has been really good and Nick Green has been really good, they’ve stood out,” he said.

“We’ve got a lot of talent at VFL and Northern Knights but we’ve got some good hard-nosed Montmorency homegrowns, (Alex) Bernardi hasn’t missed a beat and neither has Jesse Thompson, they’ve been super.

“We had a laugh, I spoke to the group and the big fella (Fitzgerald) was standing up the back and I said ‘do you need to kick 80 goals every year’ and he said no.

“I said ‘good, because we don’t want to kick it to you 140 times a game either’, it’s a luxury to have him down there and we can use his football IQ and presence to go through other avenues.”

Montmorency will ramp up preparations for Round 1 with practice matches against Eastern power Balwyn, East Doncaster and Essendon District club Greenvale and play and under-23s match against neighbours Lower Plenty.

The Magpies face grand finalists Bundoora and Heidelberg in a blockbuster opening fortnight of the season, starting April 13.

Support the players?

Chump

I think the only real solution is that it will one day be mandatory to have a senior trainer for each game who is a paid, qualified medical professional and can make the call.

Sounds major but it already happens a fair bit. A few years back I was involved with a club which never had trainers, so we ended up having a deal with a local sports injury clinic that included them providing a qualified head trainer (physio / osteo / whatever, not 100% sure) for each game. Quite a few clubs do similar.

It was mixed with sponsorship so it worked out alright, they got a lot of referred business because pretty much anybody who was involved with the club who got injured would end up going there.

Still cost the club around $1000 per week. Tbh it worked well for us, helped the trainer was a good bloke that everybody got on with and who got really engaged with the boys and their fitness, he wasn't just in it for money and was a great fella to have around every Saturday as part of the team and the journey.

Clubs will say we can't afford it but it will just be another cost of running the club. Revenue needs to go up, other costs come down to pay for it.

It is their call on concussions and as a paid professional, their liability.

The reality is you end up with concussions being diagnosed for almost every half-serious head knock. There's no black and white test for concussion and if the doc has any doubt at all, they're not risking their professional standing etc for the sake of a local footy game. So they rule them out.

The club has to back them and ensure coaches / players / others don't challenge their authority on it.

I think that's where we will get to, it's a case of liabilities and you cannot pin liabilities on volunteers as they just walk away.

How do we feel about long weekend practice matches?

I was surprised to see a few clubs have them, would have thought a lot of players and support staff are keen to make the most of these opportunities before a long hard season ahead.

How do we feel about long weekend practice matches?

I was surprised to see a few clubs have them, would have thought a lot of players and support staff are keen to make the most of these opportunities before a long hard season ahead.
Whos playing? I have only seen Heideberg. But yes you’d think most players would enjoy this time off

Pub Rumour file #365
  • Para Rd club may have a returning big guy.
  • New Div 1 club has a Collingwood linked young gun.
  • Club near the lake with four new big signings to come but all VFL listed to limited game time.
  • Town with no pub but a dozen players in NT may come back with a mate or two that have decent CV.
  • Club with no ground for start of season signed very decent Div 2 big bloke.
All rumours, all possible false, season needs to start soon.

Pub Rumour file #365
  • Para Rd club may have a returning big guy.
  • New Div 1 club has a Collingwood linked young gun.
  • Club near the lake with four new big signings to come but all VFL listed to limited game time.
  • Town with no pub but a dozen players in NT may come back with a mate or two that have decent CV.
  • Club with no ground for start of season signed very decent Div 2 big bloke.
All rumours, all possible false, season needs to start soon.
My interpretation:
  • Wale Buxton back to Monty
  • Eltham has signed a Collingwood linked young gun - Bianco
  • West preston signing guys that they won’t see
  • Hurstbridge about to become one of the teams to beat in 2024
  • Tom Keys has signed for Heidelberg

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back