NFNL Div 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

A little bit of talk that AFL has proposed a start date of June 16 seems unrealistic but there has been a flattening of the curve so I guess the next month is critical.

As we know the NFL are the current number one ranked comp in the state.

30 years ago the DVFL played in the final of the Victoria Challenge Cup. The cup was played between the No. 1 ranked metro comp and the No.1 country comp. The DV had qualified by beating the Eastern FL the previous season.

The match was played on 17th March, 1990 at AFL Park as a curtain raiser to the AFL pre season final between Essendon and Nth Melb.

DVFL 11.17.83 defeated Bendigo 5.11.41
Goals: D. Shaw 4, R. Dickson 3, G. Fyffe 2, B. Langford, R. Alford
Best: G. Fyffe, R. Shaw, M. Yeomans, A. Dale, C. Keating, B. Langford, R. Dickson

"The premiership was presented to captain Brett Fowler in front of nearly 50,000 people and in its lap of honour was enthusiastically congratulated by the huge crowd on the achievement that many in the DVFL believed was impossible. It was a great result for metro footy - the country had won the last 8 titles - and a fitting climax to eight weeks on intense training under the inspired direction of coach Gary Massey."

B: A. Dale R. Windsor G. Meredith
HB: G. Seivers A. Parasis D. Boulton
C: C. Keating N. Brindley M. Yeomans
HF: R. Alford B. Langford R. Dickson
F: R. Shaw D. Shaw J. Phillippe
R: S. Willox G. Fyffe B. Fowler
INT: G. Mutz B. Smith M. Kemp S. Petrucelle
EMG: P. Signorello N. Carroll G. Turnbull

On a sour note, the Bombers won.

This might be a silly question. But if footy doesn’t go ahead in 2020 and starts up again in 20201, which looks more and more likely. Do contracts of 1 and 2 years include the 2020 year? I can see a lot of players going to country leagues because they may have more money to throw around then suburban clubs.

This might be a silly question. But if footy doesn’t go ahead in 2020 and starts up again in 20201, which looks more and more likely. Do contracts of 1 and 2 years include the 2020 year? I can see a lot of players going to country leagues because they may have more money to throw around then suburban clubs.

Probably not a silly question at all. In the end whilst in 2020 no football was played, the year still happened and as such so did the season (just with nothing happening...) so I say it counts.

How many div 1 clubs can afford to pay $50,000 this year in player payments if the season gets 9 games in at a reduced pro rata? I know NH can and most likely Greensy but I question whether Macleod hurstbridge and Bundoora have the $ in reserve.

How many div 1 clubs can afford to pay $50,000 this year in player payments if the season gets 9 games in at a reduced pro rata? I know NH can and most likely Greensy but I question whether Macleod hurstbridge and Bundoora have the $ in reserve.
Why would those 3 not be able to pay $50k? You do realise you don’t need the $50k upfront right?

I can’t speak for Macleod or Hurstbridge , but I know Bundoora is going very well off the field even in these circumstances. And I’d dare say that most of the Div 1 clubs would do the $50k comfortably.

Would all depend on what if any restrictions are in place , if they play with no crowds ( hard to police ), or restricted numbers than no one could afford to play at all . Also $50k for Div 1 means most players would have to take a huge pay cut. But if that's the case than hopefully the love of playing and their clubs would come through for the 9 games.
Everybody wants to watch or play footy ( would be great after being at home for so long ) but the main thing is for everybody to put in and get on top of this shit virus.

Why would those 3 not be able to pay $50k? You do realise you don’t need the $50k upfront right?
Weren’t these clubs battling to raise the money for match payments at the back end of last year? With no bar, canteen and reduced sponsorship revenue $50k can be a challenge to raise? Clubs who have the money in the bank are laughing but those who don’t are seriously disadvantaged

Clubs that have worked hard in off season to build sponsor dollars & other fundraising ie. coterie are better off & can meet the $50k comfortably.

if there was no social distancing the margins from canteen, bar & other revenue sources to cover the reduced spend for players & coaches, trainers would be a real bonus.

No div 1 club should have any financial difficulty meeting the revised expenditure.

Last edited:
I’m hearing the season won’t go ahead at all, nor will the VFL. Unfortunately suburban can’t play with no crowds and they won’t be letting crowds of any size for a long time yet. I hope this person who told me is wrong, but i Can’t see it happening. 12 months til round 1 is an eternity!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m hearing the season won’t go ahead at all, nor will the VFL. Unfortunately suburban can’t play with no crowds and they won’t be letting crowds of any size for a long time yet. I hope this person who told me is wrong, but i Can’t see it happening. 12 months til round 1 is an eternity!
Not what I’m hearing. VFL scrapped due to the cost involved for AFL.

Local footy will have restrictions and procedures to be released in coming weeks including education on how to reduce risk. No access to club rooms, extended break between reserve and senior games etc.

Queensland and NSW have already approved the return of grassroots sport in July. Hard to fathom that the same won’t be applied to Victoria.

Also a discussion being had about all division games being played out of grounds with fencing such as NP, whittlesea and Epping. Assuming to start Friday night, 2 games on Saturday and 2 games in Sunday.

Last edited:

Local footy will have restrictions and procedures to be released in coming weeks including education on how to reduce risk. No access to club rooms, extended break between reserve and senior games etc.

Queensland and NSW have already approved the return of grassroots sport in July. Hard to fathom that the same won’t be applied to Victoria.
How does a club pay for players, trainers, grounds and everything else with no money coming in? I want it to start badly, but I think it will hurt a lot of clubs financially if they did it with all these restrictions.

Also a discussion being had about all division games being played out of grounds with fencing such as NP, whittlesea and Epping. Assuming to start Friday night, 2 games on Saturday and 2 games in Sunday.
I hope your right!!! What do you mean 2 games on each day?

Team a v Team B early game
Team c v Team D twilight fixture
Reserves Matches to be shortened in length with no time on.
So 6 games throughout the day with all 3 teams playing? They will finish at midnight. Unless they lift the social distancing to 500 people then it’s just not going to happen. And if they do lift it to that, then you just play as per normal!

I think the onus will come back on to the players. Play for the love of the game or stay home.
I get that and yeh some players would be happy to do that. But there is a hell of a lot more costs then just players. I just think clubs will struggle with no money coming in. Will be an interesting next month or 2

So 6 games throughout the day with all 3 teams playing? They will finish at midnight. Unless they lift the social distancing to 500 people then it’s just not going to happen. And if they do lift it to that, then you just play as per normal!
That’s the only info I got. Not sure what the other scenarios are that was floated as one of the structures spoken about.

big issue is the likelihood that COVID will be around for 18 months or so until a vaccine is engineered, tested and distributed with Australia down the list of priority. So the ideology that calling the season off and starting fresh in 2021 May not be viable, no guarantees that 2021 won’t come with the same restrictions.

hopefully community sport is given the green light when it’s safe to do so.

Last edited:
I don't know exact figures, but would suspect canteen and bar make up a small portion of what it costs to run a Div 1 club...

Either way, if we do get footy players will need to take some big pay cuts this year, and hopefully that carries on in the future.

I don't know exact figures, but would suspect canteen and bar make up a small portion of what it costs to run a Div 1 club...

Either way, if we do get footy players will need to take some big pay cuts this year, and hopefully that carries on in the future.
Canteen would be a very small portion. But bar is a massive part. Bar takes money on a tuesday, Thursday, functions and Saturday home games. Clubs would lose 10s of thousands just on the bar. Take out sponsors, the only way a club makes money is through bar takings, functions, raffles etc. Can’t play with no crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 1 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back