NFNL Div 1 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Ikon Park (Optus Oval). EDFL play at Windy Hill, time to move it to a proper venue with seating
Ikon park holds 21,000 people. Could you imagine regular finals crowd in a stadium that size. Zero atmosphere… no parking and no where near the league..

Mont, Bundoora, Heidelberg, Boro all look to be featuring heavily… lock in Panther place, or get a couple of temp stands for the far side and use Latrobe.

Eltham would be a great finals venue for atmosphere and viewing experience.

I know finals have been played there in my era, perhaps not the GF though

What exactly is the criteria for being allocated finals games? If it was based on viewer comfort/experience, facilities, condition of ground etc then Epping & Whittlesea would not be in the top 10 venues IMO
If it is as simple as ground fencing to maximise revenue then temporary fences could be erected at more suitable grounds?

I imagine the Epping & Whittlesea make good money for hosting finals? On that basis alone rotation is needed

I don't think Clubs make money as NFNL hire people to run canteen and bars so they can make money. In the old days Clubs used to run them but I am sure that changed.

I think the temporary seating and fencing at Latrobe is what they should be looking at. We have to try that ground I reckon.

However with the kickbacks the league and board get for using Preston we will never move.

I don't think Clubs make money as NFNL hire people to run canteen and bars so they can make money. In the old days Clubs used to run them but I am sure that changed.

I think the temporary seating and fencing at Latrobe is what they should be looking at. We have to try that ground I reckon.

However with the kickbacks the league and board get for using Preston we will never move.
Latrobes already fenced isn’t it?

But yep temp seating there and you’d be laughing. They use to do it for junior finals

NorthernBastard not sure what the fascination is with Eltham. It’s a crap surface and there is sweet FA parking, may as well play at Hurstbridge, Monty or Lower Plenty.

I know parking would be crap but what about Northcote Park and Bill Lawry oval. Would be a great atmosphere if that had a big crowd for finals.

Personally I still think Whittlesea and Epping are the best 2 grounds to play finals on with Heidelberg.

Unless the redvelopment has a 5 story car park then no thanks.

Great ground but horrible to access
HBFlanker inwould have thought it would be about the players and playing on the best ground and atmosphere.

If that’s Bill Lawry oval than why not play there. Yep parking would be terrible but most clubs who are playing on the day hire buses for players, supporters etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HBFlanker inwould have thought it would be about the players and playing on the best ground and atmosphere.

If that’s Bill Lawry oval than why not play there. Yep parking would be terrible but most clubs who are playing on the day hire buses for players, supporters etc.
I havent been there as yet but mates of mine reckon Watsonia's new ground (Binnak Park) is the best surface and facilities in the league?
Why wouldnt you play finals there?

NorthernBastard not sure what the fascination is with Eltham. It’s a crap surface and there is sweet FA parking, may as well play at Hurstbridge, Monty or Lower Plenty.

I know parking would be crap but what about Northcote Park and Bill Lawry oval. Would be a great atmosphere if that had a big crowd for finals.

Personally I still think Whittlesea and Epping are the best 2 grounds to play finals on with Heidelberg.
One of the Best elevated views in the league on the wing, new facilities. Parking all around the ground, behind the ground, at tennis courts, and at the library. Could definitely handle it

Cant agree here. If that was the case then finals would have been at BLO a long tiem ago.

Theres a wide range of factors that are considered

At least with BLO it runs EAST-WEST.... The traditional spring Northerly doesn't favour 1 end! Would you get sun-glare kicking to the western end late in the day?

Last time I was at Eltham in footy season the surface was good, has been a couple years.

In terms of parking, I'd say there is quite alot of parking within a short walk, plus a train station.

One of the Best elevated views in the league on the wing, new facilities. Parking all around the ground, behind the ground, at tennis courts, and at the library. Could definitely handle it
Yep Eltham has heaps of parking. Surface is good as well.

What about Vic Park?
Can’t think of anything worse than heading into the city to watch a game of NFNL. Zero parking.

Round 12 and a few huge games this week.

Hurstbridge (10th 2-9)vs Macleod (7th 4-7) A massive clash especially for Hurstbridge as they try to get back on the winners list after 8 consecutive losses. They do get Jordan and Perrin back this week which strengthens them. For Macleod last week was very disappointing with only Doherty kicking 2 goals and coaches votes leading from the front. They have also lost Leggett but do get McKeown back. No good form for either team, going with Hurstbridge to break that losing streak and possible move off the bottom of the ladder. Hurstbridge by 14 points.

Greensborough (4th 5-5-1) vs Montmorency (2nd 9-2). Big game at War Memorial park, can the Boro start to show so consistency after losing to West Preston last week. No Tom Bell last week and Caddy not hitting the scoreboard it was left to Z McCubbin to lead the way with 2 goals. For Mont, they just keep going on their winning way, Fitzgerald kicking 10 last week to extend his lead at top of goal kickers, he now has 40 for the season. Wale-Buxton and Binion both in coaches votes last week. They strengthen their side by getting Lin Jong back as well. Too much firepower in Mont’s line up. Monty by 27 points

Nth Heidelberg (5th 4-7) vs Northcote Park (8th 3-8) Heartbreak again last week for the doggies going down to Heidelberg by 4 points to leave them 6 points adrift of Greensborough and West Preston for that 4th and 5th spot and finals. Jesse Tardio leading the way with more coaches votes which takes him to outright lead on 57, 3 more than Matt Smith from Heidelberg. The cougars travel to Shelley reserve full of confidence after last weeks win over Macleod which saw them move a game clear of relegation. They will fancy there chances for 2 in a row with McNiece and Amad both in good form. The lose though of J Perry, Schroder and Tallaritti is big and with those outs Nth Heidelberg to take the points. Doggies by 17 points.

Heidelberg (1st 10-1) vs Bundoora (3rd 9-2) Huge game at Warringal and one footy followers should get along to. Heidelberg continue on their winning ways and with Gilmore and Smith having outstanding season they got over Nth Heidelberg last week. Minogue sits on 29 goals and in top 5 and will look to kick another 4 like he did last week. For Bundoora Jorgensen kicked 7 majors last week and with Zaharakis playing his best game they will look to draw level with Heidelberg. Going with Bundoora by 7 points.

Whittlesea (9th 3-8) vs West Preston (5th 5-5-1). Another tough day for the eagles last week with only M Wild being multiple goal scorer and Andrews and Fitzgerald getting a coaches vote. They do get captain Dimasi back this week. West Preston had there beat win last week and get Lirosi and Valladares back this week. The eagles do have a good record against the roosters but too much to play for this week. West Preston by 37 points.
Enjoy the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 1 discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back