NFNL Div 2 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Eltham don’t bounce between divisions yearly like Lower Plenty!
You’re talking about 2 completely different clubs with access to different resources. Eltham have a far bigger supporter base, greater avenue for community support via businesses and much richer history of past players. Not to mention millions of dollars over many years to expand and improve facilities.

Both clubs have very good people who are passionate, work hard and selflessly.

The fact that Lower has been able to thrive and survive in the comp and with a league “powerhouse” 40 metres away is credit to everyone involved over many years.

In finishing I think the job by both clubs with pre game ceremony was fantastic and well delivered by Andrew Hall. Was great to have a former player and local veteran in Joel Sardi attending as well. Joel is an inspiring human being in general.

You’re talking about 2 completely different clubs with access to different resources. Eltham have a far bigger supporter base, greater avenue for community support via businesses and much richer history of past players. Not to mention millions of dollars over many years to expand and improve facilities.

The fact that Lower has been able to thrive and survive in the comp and with a league “powerhouse” 40 metres away is credit to everyone involved over many years.

In finishing I think the job by both clubs with pre game ceremony was fantastic and well delivered by Andrew Hall. Was great to have a former player and local veteran in Joel Sardi attending as well. Joel is an inspiring human being in general.
Well said and just a little more on Joel 8 months after Joel returned from his deployment in Afghanistan, he had a devastating fall that left him a Quadriplegic. Joel was not compensated for his injury as it was unrelated to his work, but a few weeks after the accident, his local RSL reached out to offer support and help in doing whatever they could for Joel.

Well said and just a little more on Joel 8 months after Joel returned from his deployment in Afghanistan, he had a devastating fall that left him a Quadriplegic. Joel was not compensated for his injury as it was unrelated to his work, but a few weeks after the accident, his local RSL reached out to offer support and help in doing whatever they could for Joel.
He’s an absolute inspiring individual who is always teaching us to value everything we have in life.

You don’t need to explain yourself to an moron. Lower have done fantastic with what’s at their disposal.

Thanks Stewie, it was great that your committee and club where 100% behind the service and it was an honour to stand there as a Veteran and deliver the service and having Joel with me was fantastic. He is a outstanding young man that everyone who has met him knows, I personally know, as a Vet, local football clubs are invaluable to us and Lower Plenty are fantastic for Joel and his life. They should be proud of that.

Great to see Banyule and St Mary's in a top 4 clash this week - Who would have thought that before the season started? Only early in the season but both clubs travelling well.

On a separate note I saw quite a few games of football over the weekend both Div 1 & Div 2 and the standard of umpiring is a huge concern - Some umpires are not fit enough to keep up with the play and make 'blind' calls as a result.
I think the NFL has to work with all clubs to recruit umpires from players that are not getting a regular game of football - Umpires are so critical to the game and both the standard and very poor numbers should be a concern to all clubs

On a separate note I saw quite a few games of football over the weekend both Div 1 & Div 2 and the standard of umpiring is a huge concern - Some umpires are not fit enough to keep up with the play and make 'blind' calls as a result.
I think the NFL has to work with all clubs to recruit umpires from players that are not getting a regular game of football - Umpires are so critical to the game and both the standard and very poor numbers should be a concern to all clubs

Umpiring is a huge issue, they are short of numbers but we keep hearing they are doing all they can, I note a young lady did a Div 1 game recently which is fantastic and wondering how she went.

I think they really need to look on where they pool umps from, I cannot see past players as a very viable option (could be wrong) but I can see maybe heading to the Uni and showing students there the benefits (especially financial) is one option. Maybe having a decent presentation at Centerlink (never been there so not sure if that can happen) Maybe past players is an option I have no idea. I am just spitballing here.

If a Ump does a Fri game (I think there will be more and more of them) a Sat game or two and a few junior games on a Sunday they can make over $400 tax free, they do not all have to be field, have a break in goals for example. They need to really promote that I think. When you do the sums you can make yourself a pretty decent summer holiday bank.

I heard over the weekend that they had reduced the pay for umps (rumour but believed it) if true that is not helping. Apparently it was due to covid and clubs could not afford it but I think clubs would rather pay to ensure umpires than not.

This is bigger than NFNL as I think the issue is everywhere. Hopefully the AFL are looking into it. Its a long term issue.

Umpiring is a huge issue, they are short of numbers but we keep hearing they are doing all they can, I note a young lady did a Div 1 game recently which is fantastic and wondering how she went.

I think they really need to look on where they pool umps from, I cannot see past players as a very viable option (could be wrong) but I can see maybe heading to the Uni and showing students there the benefits (especially financial) is one option. Maybe having a decent presentation at Centerlink (never been there so not sure if that can happen) Maybe past players is an option I have no idea. I am just spitballing here.

If a Ump does a Fri game (I think there will be more and more of them) a Sat game or two and a few junior games on a Sunday they can make over $400 tax free, they do not all have to be field, have a break in goals for example. They need to really promote that I think. When you do the sums you can make yourself a pretty decent summer holiday bank.

I heard over the weekend that they had reduced the pay for umps (rumour but believed it) if true that is not helping. Apparently it was due to covid and clubs could not afford it but I think clubs would rather pay to ensure umpires than not.

This is bigger than NFNL as I think the issue is everywhere. Hopefully the AFL are looking into it. Its a long term issue.
Yes the umpires pay got cut 100%

They need to up it. Like a boundary gets around $50... yes it’s only 2 hours work but not many can run more than 1 game so would you really drive to Kilmore for $50 and waste half your Saturday? Should be min $100 for any role

It’s true that umpires pay was reduced, and yes it was because of Covid. They are back up to their pre-Covid fees from next season - the NFNL president confirmed all of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with all of the above. If umpiring standards are truly a problem then the clubs should be making a case to the league to say that they don't need the small (?) financial relief which a reduction in umpiring fees brings and to bump up the payments again.

What would also help is the crowd not feeling it is their duty to abuse umpires for some kind of perceived marginal gain. Pretty embarrassing and they will be the first to complain when the half decent ones pack it in.

Last edited:
Panther - Too strong, could diamo cause an upset? Not totally off the cards Panther - 23

PH - Bounce back from a very poor performance - PH 13

Thomastown - Should get the win, lower very good at home - 24 points

St Mary’s - big upset at the cave. st Mary’s flying 8 points

Watsonia -Too strong, Fitzroy in for a long long season 45 points

Yes the umpires pay got cut 100%

They need to up it. Like a boundary gets around $50... yes it’s only 2 hours work but not many can run more than 1 game so would you really drive to Kilmore for $50 and waste half your Saturday? Should be min $100 for any role
15% pay cut but did the NFNL pass that reduction onto the clubs ?

5 from 5 last week with Lower getting the chocolates over Eltham
Round 4 and some great games coming up
Eltham travel again this time to Diamond Creek and will need to bounce back after last weeks loss. They won’t want to slip to 2-3 as double chance this year will be huge. Massive opportunity for Diamo to go to 4-0, so as they say a real “8” point game. For me Eltham to bounce back. Eltham by 27 pts
Epping vs Panton hill will be a good one. The redbacks were very disappointing last week while Epping worked hard against Diamo. For me, at home it’s the pingers by 14 pts
The battle of the bears will be a beauty, Lower had a great win last week and take that confidence into this week. On their own dung hill they will bottle the Thomo bears up. In a high scoring encounter for me, Lower Bears by 13 pts
Winless Fitzroy and Watsonia look to open there 2021 account. Stars showed some signs last week but Watsy have been unlucky in their games with several close losses. Watsy to open their account come 5pm Saturday. Watsy by 32pts
St Mary’s travel to Banyule full of confidence but Banyule at home is probably the biggest challenge in div 2 footy. With Stanton back I think Banyule will be too strong for st Mary’s who will work hard all game though. Banyule by 23 pts
Enjoy the weather and great footy!!

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 2 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back