NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

well done to Lalor, hats off I thought they were zero chance to win a game let alone 2.

Mernda 2 losses early. I’m sure Fletcher will let us know how many are “out”

We all got outs

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

well done to Lalor, hats off I thought they were zero chance to win a game let alone 2.

Mernda 2 losses early. I’m sure Fletcher will let us know how many are “out”
I’m sure Mernda had a few missing but Ivanhoe had 5 automatic selections out and 1 on the bench after half time.
We were lucky to have kicked straighter and were relieved when the siren sounded. Glad to be competitive in a new competition

Was at lalor today..

Not sure how it got so close in the end lalor looked like cruising to a 8-10 goal win late in the third.

Reservoir got the best player in the comp in cuppins.. get and watch him if you can.. absolute class. Would be a gun for any div 1 side.

Reservoir just had the edge in the midfield. Forward lines maybe even.. but reservoirs backline looked like it had 6 blokes playing their first ever game of football.

Parkes for lalor a class above.

Happy to pinch the points today Mappa. Agree that inaccurate kicking has cost Mernda in the end. Think our guys showed so real pluck as only 1 on the bench after half time. We will take it, learn and keep finding our way in a new comp.
Any chance of picking up the magic Chump phone to the council mate? Great rooms. Beer was cold. The hill is as good a place as any in the league now to watch a game. The goal posts though. Tiny.

There was at least one Mernda goal to the top end that was clearly a point, but called a goal.

I’m told there’s a special phone in the office that only rings when it’s you 😄😄😄

Any chance of picking up the magic Chump phone to the council mate? Great rooms. Beer was cold. The hill is as good a place as any in the league now to watch a game. The goal posts though. Tiny.

There was at least one Mernda goal to the top end that was clearly a point, but called a goal.

I’m told there’s a special phone in the office that only rings when it’s you 😄😄😄
I am led to believe that the club approached council in the summer re goal posts and have been placed on a 'waiting list'. One of several improvements we hope to make in the next year or so in conjunction with the IJFC.

I have to go now and take my Batmobile out for a Sunday drive!

Last edited:
coming into this round, some big match ups and potentially some match ups you will see in finals

Ivanhoe vs Old eltham
kilmore vs Epping
kinglake vs Mernda
Lalor vs parade has the potential to be the upset of the round if lalor get the chocolates

coming into this round, some big match ups and potentially some match ups you will see in finals

Ivanhoe vs Old eltham
kilmore vs Epping
kinglake vs Mernda
Lalor vs parade has the potential to be the upset of the round if lalor get the chocolates
You reckon besides OE vs IV you’ll see those match ups in finals 🤔

can see kilmore and eppng as a final, kinglake vs mernda could potentially be an upset match as well
Id be very surprised if either of those sides featured in finals....

Kilmore is going to struggle big time to make finals and Kinglake are basically no chance at 0-4 with Mernda this week

It’d be hard to see Kilmore playing finals, as they’re too inconsistent
To be fair you could say that about a number of clubs at this stage. Can see this going down to the last round.
Healthy lists are going to play a big part.

Does Gilmore go away and if so for how long?

To be fair you could say that about a number of clubs at this stage. Can see this going down to the last round.
Healthy lists are going to play a big part.

Does Gilmore go away and if so for how long?
Good points, it will be an interesting season in Div 3 this year.

Don’t get me wrong, it would be nice to see sides like Kilmore and West play finals, but it looks like it will be an uphill battle, given the starts to the season that they’ve had.

From what I’ve heard OPs have been very reliant on Gilmore and he is going travelling, so it could play a part in where they finish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t get me wrong, it would be nice to see sides like Kilmore and West play finals, but it looks like it will be an uphill battle, given the starts to the season that they’ve had.

From what I’ve heard OPs have been very reliant on Gilmore and he is going travelling, so it could play a part in where they finish.
Gilmore has been away, will be available for rest of season

Won Rounds 1 and 2 with Sam playing. Defeated Fitzroy Stars without him (would have been one of the best credentialed runners going around anywhere that day :D :D). Lost to Kilmore without him (but also missing his brother, O'Sullivan and Merkel that day... no excuses though. Kilmore were the better team).

I think it's fair to say he would play a part in where a team finishes wherever he was playing.

Last edited:

Thats the only chance ol champy chump could kick a goal (well a point).
He would just kick to height of goal post and run around screaming that he'd kicked it so the goal ump distracted and would pay it!

HW playing at almost max points and losing by 10+ goals every week does not leave a bright future for the club

What does max points have to do with a bright future? No juniors so they will always be close to max points like most clubs in that position.
What’s it have to do with it?

Well basically it’s saying they couldn’t have feasibly recruited anymore players in the off season past but they are 10 goals off the pace?

That’s not good. Using all your points but you’re not looking like challenging for finals.

What’s it have to do with it?

Well basically it’s saying they couldn’t have feasibly recruited anymore players in the off season past but they are 10 goals off the pace?

That’s not good. Using all your points but you’re not looking like challenging for finals.
Hearing on Saturday this exact discussion, lost 7 of their top 10 players being 1 pointers and recruits have all come with premium comp tags coming from surrounding div 1 clubs which has chewed the points up even though they are majority reserve grade players. Probably should have recruited from clubs like lower, st marys, watsonia to get more bang for buck points wise.

Hearing on Saturday this exact discussion, lost 7 of their top 10 players being 1 pointers and recruits have all come with premium comp tags coming from surrounding div 1 clubs which has chewed the points up even though they are majority reserve grade players. Probably should have recruited from clubs like lower, st marys, watsonia to get more bang for buck points wise.
Sounds more like a player points policy problem. Div 1 clubs can get cream of the crop players from any other clubs outside division 1 for 3 points, meanwhile division 2 and 3 need to get players from eachother otherwise would be penalised getting a player from a division 1 club. A reserves division 1 player that would have played at 3 clubs in 3 years is more points for a division 2 or 3 club (4 pointer) than a club like Banyule bringing in someone like Macaffer if he hadn’t have gone turtles this year. In wests situation being surrounded by only division 1 clubs would hurt massively without juniors or 19s. Make it make sense

Sounds more like a player points policy problem. Div 1 clubs can get cream of the crop players from any other clubs outside division 1 for 3 points, meanwhile division 2 and 3 need to get players from eachother otherwise would be penalised getting a player from a division 1 club. A reserves division 1 player that would have played at 3 clubs in 3 years is more points for a division 2 or 3 club (4 pointer) than a club like Banyule bringing in someone like Macaffer if he hadn’t have gone turtles this year. In wests situation being surrounded by only division 1 clubs would hurt massively without juniors or 19s. Make it make sense
Sounds like the player points system working perfectly. They don’t want every D1 fridge player pillaged

So what the solution Berty? Do we give them 50 points to play with over the next year or two as Reservoir and Lalor have been given this year.

The reason why points have become a challenge for West H this year looks to be two-fold:

• 8-9 blokes, who were on lower points and quality players, departed the club
  • The under 19's JV with Banyule from last year has not continued or pushed through many kids this year.

Not sure of any of the reasons that happening this year, but when you lose players on low points and have to try and replace them with players on higher points it is challenging that's for sure. Good luck to West and I hope they can find a way through a tough situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back