NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a walk around Lalor this morning it's a bit soft at the score board pocket but still in pretty good condition. Their ground wouldn't be the worse choice for finals.
Pros.
Ground is holding up well with only a couple more games there.
Fully fenced with only 3 gates in.
Best canteen in the league.
Decent bar.
Close to Lalor train station

Cons.
Not the best change rooms.
No really good viewing area if the weather's crap.
Minimal parking around the area.
At least Lalor has some undercover area. Whittlesea has zero.

Lalor’s ground is a bit small… but it’s not the worst choice

I know for a fact that head office read these articles and I’m sure the pressure is on them to make a hard call.
If the ground isn’t up to scratch for a finals series then simply choose the next best option.
We all understand that finals are a great revenue source so it’s up to the league to show their product in the best conditions available.
I guess time will tell what kind of leadership we have at HQ.

I know for a fact that head office read these articles and I’m sure the pressure is on them to make a hard call.
If the ground isn’t up to scratch for a finals series then simply choose the next best option.
We all understand that finals are a great revenue source so it’s up to the league to show their product in the best conditions available.
I guess time will tell what kind of leadership we have at HQ.
duty of care?
stakeholders (clubs) pay fees so in this world of user pays common sense should kick in soon.
if its about fencelines as you all suggest just bloody hire temporary fencing at a more appropriate venue the league will still turn a substantial profit

I'm sure alternative plans are being worked through - available grounds, fencing, budgets, etc in the event that the selected ground for Div 3 is not up to scratch come the first week of finals.

I'm sure alternative plans are being worked through - available grounds, fencing, budgets, etc in the event that the selected ground for Div 3 is not up to scratch come the first week of finals.
I’d think so.

I went to a junior final gf maybe 2015 at diamond creek. The entire oval was fenced with temp fence. It’s possible.

Epping & Ivanhoe should make finals with both playing Lalor in the last two rounds.

Only spanner in the works is if Old Eltham can roll Parade in the last round & assuming they win against HW next week.

Will be a big game in the last round with Mernda v Ivanhoe, winner likely to snare the valuable second chance in such an even season.

Epping & Ivanhoe should make finals with both playing Lalor in the last two rounds.

Only spanner in the works is if Old Eltham can roll Parade in the last round & assuming they win against HW next week.

Will be a big game in the last round with Mernda v Ivanhoe, winner likely to snare the valuable second chance in such an even season.
That’s a huge clash for Ivanhoe. Win top 3 locked. Pies VFL and AFL playing Friday so you would think both Selwood and Otten can get back in time.

Having Selwood last Saturday mustve been huge Chumpy one? With pies unlikely to feature in sept, (as a Carlton man, I hope pies make it) you should have Selwood/Otten play finals.
How Marcel didn't get in votes Saturday? 2 goals in a row got your blokes up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw photos from Whittlesea yesterday, couldn’t possibly play finals on it. I know the league have said it is staying but surely they need to have a back up plan

Kilmore isnt much further, than whittlesea, it is gated, a good sized ground and probably one of the best available grounds in the comp when looking at the criteria that is needed.
Does it matter if their twos are playing finals?
Way too far to be considered.

With Fitzroy, Mernda and Parade featuring heavily I’d be looking at grounds that can attract the most people.

Latrobe surely. Can they come to a deal? Heaps of parking, best surface. Would be appropriate for viewing for most games. Portable grand stands could be used for GF

Coburg City Oval would have been great but unfortunately VAFA has booked it.

Northcote would be a decent option besides parking.

Lalor is a little small for finals and no parking.

Diamond Creek, Eltham, Heidelberg imo would be a decent options is fencing is an option.

A lot of grounds are feeling the affects of winter rain and high volume of traffic.
I’m sure the local farmers wouldn’t put their prized steers on the oval at Whittlesea in its current condition.

Once the NFNL put a line through it I just hope for their sake they give plenty of notice.

What kind of nick is Crisp park in? Option?

Having Selwood last Saturday mustve been huge Chumpy one? With pies unlikely to feature in sept, (as a Carlton man, I hope pies make it) you should have Selwood/Otten play finals.
How Marcel didn't get in votes Saturday? 2 goals in a row got your blokes up?
One week at a time Rover. Let's see how this week pans out before we worry about finals.

As for Marcel - was very good - but we also has some internal roles being done that we felt were significant in getting us over the line.

Last edited:

With Fitzroy, Mernda and Parade featuring heavily I’d be looking at grounds that can attract the most people.

Latrobe surely. Can they come to a deal? Heaps of parking, best surface. Would be appropriate for viewing for most games. Portable grand stands could be used for GF

Diamond Creek, Eltham, Heidelberg imo would be a decent options is fencing is an option.

This weekend would not have helped that's for sure.

Let's see what happens from H/O and any thoughts on what plan B could be IF it needs to be moved for those lucky enough to play finals.

One thing for sure - it won't be Ivanhoe - absolute bog now!! Happy we are finished playing games on it to be honest as was getting very bad in the middle.

Junior finals have been played at Kilmore. Once you turn left off Plenty Road and get onto the Ring Road, you don’t hit another set of traffic lights if you take the back route off the Hume up O’Grady’s Road to JJ Clancy Reserve.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back