NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on Justy - remove the doom and gloom NFNL cloud from above your head. šŸ˜Š

No matter what, this looks to have been a good proactive move for Div 3 finals by the NFNL. We have a great race home over the next two weeks for all sorts of places in the top 5 in Div 3 also - there is a lot to be happy about!
Not doubting that at all but Im sure WHittlesea would have included the finals intake into their figures for the year wouldnt they?

Pretty sure there will have to be compensation for Whittlesea wouldnt there? So it may not be as good as what everyone thinks
compensation? sounds like they have had regualar finals for a long time and for whatever reason the facilities havent benefited or gained atention. watched a brotehr in law play a GF out there a decade ago and thankfully the weather was ok. no different to the rdfl where lancefield always had finals and often a good atmohspere but never improved the place with shelter for crowds any seating or some form of bitumen.

Does the league need to look align its season with other comps (finish of the H&A)? Potentially frees up ground availability or emergency options as they have had to explore this season.

Certainly not for this season, but perhaps worthy of consideration, I wonder if the league would ever look at a VFL Park / Elsternwick Park type arrangement at the former Bundoora Park Thunderbolts ground. Make it a neutral league facility.
I coached there for a number of years and they have ample changerooms, great lighting and doesnā€™t have juniors anymore so gets little to no traffic in the winter.
It is a bit light on for parking, and the canteen area needs a spruce up, but is a bit of a wasted facility. Much like Telfor Reserve, but thatā€™s too small for Seniors.
Tiny ground - would need to be extended 10m in every direction

Plus it doesn't have a single meter of fencing around the perimeter, doesn't have any real undercover area, no hill/terracing.

From my contact, he has stated that Whittlesea are looking at a 30k loss. That's huge for a club to lose and a massive gain to Lalor.

SWOOPINGTIME
They also didnā€™t lose anything. They just didnā€™t get to host finals like 28 other NFNL clubs.

Whittlesea isnā€™t great and imo needs a fair bit put into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 big question still remains to be seen. Between.
Lalor (1 more home games res/seniors)
Women's(2 games)
18s (6 games)
Reserves (6 games)
Seniors (6 games)
All over the next 6 weeks.
How will sydney reserve hold up. It's in good condition now (just got back from walking the dog) but there is a fair bit of moisture on the score board side. If the rain holds up a bit it might be OK but if it continues on its current pattern things might get real messy by the granny.

1 big question still remains to be seen. Between.
Lalor (1 more home games res/seniors)
Women's(2 games)
18s (6 games)
Reserves (6 games)
Seniors (6 games)
All over the next 6 weeks.
How will sydney reserve hold up. It's in good condition now (just got back from walking the dog) but there is a fair bit of moisture on the score board side. If the rain holds up a bit it might be OK but if it continues on its current pattern things might get real messy by the granny.
Depends on rain but itā€™ll take a beating youā€™d imagine. I donā€™t think itā€™ll hold up.

Itā€™s not a particularly good surface, just has very little use hence no mud atm.

I think they should have used Coventry Oval. Wouldnā€™t have required much fencing and much better venue.

Either way should be a great atmosphere at Sydney Cres! If we a similar crowd as large years GF itā€™ll be fantastic.

I think we should applaud the NFNL for making a hard but right call to move the finals.
I think Lalor hosting finals is a great opportunity for them to turn their fortunes around.
We are quick to critique, so we should be quick to acknowledge brave a IMO correct decisions.

I think we should applaud the NFNL for making a hard but right call to move the finals.
I think Lalor hosting finals is a great opportunity for them to turn their fortunes around.
We are quick to critique, so we should be quick to acknowledge brave a IMO correct decisions.
Applaud?

Whittlesea has been below average for years and finally has become untenable.

The league should in no way be congratulated they moved a finals series off a mud pit.

Lalor is small. Itā€™s disappointing not to have sides show cased on a large ground

Applaud?

Whittlesea has been below average for years and finally has become untenable.

The league should in no way be congratulated they moved a finals series off a mud pit.

Lalor is small. Itā€™s disappointing not to have sides show cased on a large ground
Are bigger grounds automatically guaranteeing better quality games than smaller grounds? Not in my experience. Played Grand Finals at Cramer Street and one on a smaller Ground. The smaller ground had a better quality game and the atmosphere was incredibly better.

Are bigger grounds automatically guaranteeing better quality games than smaller grounds? Not in my experience. Played Grand Finals at Cramer Street and one on a smaller Ground. The smaller ground had a better quality game and the atmosphere was incredibly better.
Nothing guarantees anything. Iā€™ve seen good and bad games on either sized ground.

But the general norm is finals are played on large grounds to best present good quality football.

Iā€™d much rather watch Mernda vs Stars at Epping Rec than Lower Plentyā€¦

Nothing guarantees anything. Iā€™ve seen good and bad games on either sized ground.

But the general norm is finals are played on large grounds to best present good quality football.

Iā€™d much rather watch Mernda vs Stars at Epping Rec than Lower Plentyā€¦
Then it being at Lalor should have no consequence on how the competing teams will be showcased as there are no guarantees? The norm is because the league wants to make the most money, not create the best experience for players and fans.

Lalor is plenty big enough to host a quality game and create a terrific atmosphere. Having played Grand Finals at Cramer street and Whittlesea, despite it hosting more people, was nowhere near as an enjoyable experience as a smaller ground. The smaller ground game was one of the best quality I've ever played in, the crowd felt closer and louder and by all reports, the viewing experience of the crowd was fantastic as the ball was never miles away.

Last edited:
I don't think Lalor is so small that it can't host a final, but definitely would always prefer something with a bit of space - more 1v1's, less ability for a team to clog it up.

Then it being at Lalor should have no consequence on how the competing teams will be showcased as there are no guarantees? The norm is because the league wants to make the most money, not create the best experience for players and fans.

Lalor is plenty big enough to host a quality game and create a terrific atmosphere. Having played Grand Finals at Cramer street and Whittlesea, despite it hosting more people, was nowhere near as an enjoyable experience as a smaller ground. The smaller ground game was one of the best quality I've ever played in, the crowd felt closer and louder and by all reports, the viewing experience of the crowd was fantastic as the ball was never miles away.
I think Lalor is fine for this series . Just wouldnā€™t make it the norm from here on out.

I agree itā€™ll be a fantastic atmosphere

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back