Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 164 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 412 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Only if you're simplistically binary about awards, and can't recognise the fact Naicos was on his way to winning every individual award that was on offer before he missed the last 4 home and away matches to fall just short...
Thats just a bunch of people pretending or assuming that he might have won awards, had he played those games. Last time I checked, the records didn't say - 2023 brownlow medalist Lachie Neale with **** next to his name.
Greg Williams should have won 3 perhaps even 4 brownlows, but he didnt. Thats just the way it goes sometimes. Time for you to move past 2023 Naicos

Yes, he could be the GOAT? But how would we know, we can only compare him against his peers, all other comparisons are just fun guesses.
The AFL's current move to taller players might count against him. The Pies have used him very well, and I think that's helped him shine. I'm not saying he's weak, or a shirker, I think not getting the stuffing knocked out of you when your role 'quaterback' is smart play.
He'll be required to be starting midfielder you'd think and as his career progresses, he'll get buffeted by some heavy bodies. It still sticks out to me that someone like Bont or Cripps are midfielders and not KP. I'd hate to have them colliding with me nearly every stoppage, or similar types for a large part of your career. I'm sure he'll take his knocks when that's his role, but that will wear him out I'd reckon due to size/weight disparity.
Or I'm just tottaly wrong. Time will tell.
But Pies have done well with the Daicos lads.

Nick Daicos.

We have never seen a player do what he has done in his first two seasons. Many people have said he was the best first/second year player since Chris Judd. Chris Judd didn't do what Nick Daicos has done in his first two seasons.

Injury causing him to miss the final four matches of the 2023 home and away season was the only thing that stood in the way of him sweeping every individual award on offer, though he still managed to finish top three in the Brownlow, AFLCA Coaches Award and AFLPA MVP, in only his second season.

He topped off his year to return from injury for the Preliminary and Grand Final, playing influential games in both matches to be rewarded with his first premiership for the club. Reflecting on the play that resulted in the De Goey goal that put Collingwood back in front in the late stages of that game, it is highly doubtful that Collingwood win the Grand Final without Nick Daicos doing what he does best.

We need to track his career progression as he pushes for GOAT status, and what better way to do that than through use of a spreadsheet:
View attachment 1909755

I'm predicting it is a matter of when, not if, we're anointing Nick Daicos as the AFL GOAT.
Lol

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Nein. 2nd son of Peter the Great is a poor man’s Mark Mercuri.

Lightweight, nimble, superb short kicking. But he can’t mark like Mercuri.

And that’s a fact ..jack

Good contributor to the Pies game though. Can’t dispute that.

Thats just a bunch of people pretending or assuming that he might have won awards, had he played those games. Last time I checked, the records didn't say - 2023 brownlow medalist Lachie Neale with **** next to his name.
Greg Williams should have won 3 perhaps even 4 brownlows, but he didnt. Thats just the way it goes sometimes. Time for you to move past 2023 Naicos
As I said, people are either simplistically binary and judge a player based on how many awards they win, or don't win, or....

People like me look at a player's career - someone like Greg Williams - and have him comfortably in the top 10 players they have seen play the game, and whether they won 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 Brownlows, wouldn't change one iota about how highly they rate them. They still played at the level they played at throughout their career.

As I said, people are either simplistically binary and judge a player based on how many awards they win, or don't win, or....

People like me look at a player's career - someone like Greg Williams - and have him comfortably in the top 10 players they have seen play the game, and whether they won 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 Brownlows, wouldn't change one iota about how highly they rate them. They still played at the level they played at throughout their career.
Naicos has a long, long , long way to go to get to the heights of the immortals, so to speak .
Well that's the benchmark spoken about in here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only due to a disqualification.
A Brownlow is a Brownlow, he won it fair and square without any stomach injections

The challenge has been set, at least one Brownlow in the next 2 years to equal Cotchin

A long way to GOAT, Daics will pick them off one by one

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

A Brownlow is a Brownlow, he won it fair and square without any stomach injections

The challenge has been set, at least one Brownlow in the next 2 years to equal Cotchin

A long way to GOAT, Daics will pick them off one by one

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah legit he’ll be good and believe it or not I’ll back him up. These other blokes will still be living in the past and say the comp is weak or some shit yet again.

The current list with claims for GOAT (imo);
Lethal, Gaz, Gaj, lockett, carey.

Rate him as the best young talent in the comp and the best 2nd year player i can recall.
But has a ways to go and some strings to add to reach the elite echelons.

Didnt know what to expect from his early hype thru to his drafting and debut, but has not disappointed.
Has his dads smoothness and a bit of pendles with his movement.

Are you broken?

His best ever season for metres gained was 2016 when he averaged 378 metres gained per match, but he averaged 26.9 disposals that season meaning he got 14 metres per disposal, and that was his best ever season.

In comparison Daicos averaged 31 disposals this year with a metres gained of 465 metres per match meaning he averaged 15 disposals per match (already beating Cotchin's best season) and Gulden averaged 26.8 disposals with 554 metres gained per match meaning a total of 21 metres per disposal.

Last edited:
His best ever season for metres gained was 2016 when he averaged 378 metres gained per match, but he averaged 26.9 disposals that season meaning he got 14 metres per disposal, and that was his best ever season.

In comparison Daicos averaged 31 disposals this year with a metres gained of 465 metres per match meaning he averaged 15 disposals per match (already beating Cotchin's best season) and Gulden averaged 26.8 disposals with 554 metres gained per match meaning a total of 21 metres per disposal.

They might want to skipper a few flags before they start thinking they have Cotchin covered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back