Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes perfect sense. There is no way they’d have made him take 35 this year if he didn’t want it imho. Absolutely nothing gained by making him wear it against his express wishes. Happy for you to think otherwise.
First pick gets 35 Whether they like it or not. For a full season.

You actually think a first year player has the pull to choose his number?
Collingwoods choice.

Nick will be wearing it next year. A no brainer. Because he wants it and the club respects his father.

Last edited:
Makes perfect sense. There is no way they’d have made him take 35 this year if he didn’t want it imho. Absolutely nothing gained by making him wear it against his express wishes. Happy for you to think otherwise.
"Happy for you to think otherwise" ???

Nick or any other first draft pick does not have a choice. #35 or take a hike.

Last edited:

Go back to sleep Molly Dolly.

Lmao you have no idea.

That's been the case since the 2010 draft up until now. Next year is likely to be a different story.

That has nothing to do with whether he will choose to wear it in future seasons and agree to break with the tradition that has been in place in recent years.

Last edited:
That has nothing to do with whether he will choose to wear it in future seasons and agree to break with the tradition that has been in place in recent years.

Right. So in this hyperthetical, he’d decline to wear it in his debut season when it was gifted to him under the 1st draftee arrangement, then have an epiphany in year 2 and ask to wear it….. right. We can see which side of the discussion makes no sense at all…. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I’ll leave it there.

Right. So in this hyperthetical, he’d decline to wear it in his debut season when it was gifted to him under the 1st draftee arrangement, then have an epiphany in year 2 and ask to wear it….. right. We can see which side of the discussion makes no sense at all…. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I’ll leave it there.

The two are unrelated. No conclusions can be drawn one way or the other as to what his thoughts are for the rest of his career.

First pick gets 35 Whether they like it or not. For a full season.

You actually think a first year player has the pull to choose his number?
Collingwoods choice.

Nick will be wearing it next year. A no brainer. Because he wants it and the club respects his father.

Yeah, no doubt they’d stand over him and bully or shame him into wearing it given how long we’ve had this tradition and how entrenched it is in the psych of we punters…..

And yes, I do think the club would respect the will of a prominent FS if they decided they didn’t want to be encumbered by that legacy. Josh Daicos, Cal and Tyler Brown a case in point. We’re offered the jumper, declined. It’s about respect. Just as the club will respect Nick’s desire to retain the number 2023 and beyond.

The only thing in question here is that there are “supporters” who apparently think he’d be made to wear it if he didn’t want it, even as the 1st draftee taken.

It was very clear in the doco he did of his draft before being drafted he wanted the number for good, not just for the first season.

I think any player would respect the number and its history and tradition by wearing it even for one year. Even if the player wasnt Nick.

It was very clear in the doco he did of his draft before being drafted he wanted the number for good, not just for the first season.

I think any player would respect the number and its history and tradition by wearing it even for one year. Even if the player wasnt Nick.
I agree. I doubt the club would allow a first draftee to decline it as well.
Club rule but about to be changed.

I remember Nick saying he wanted to keep it to honour his dad.
Prestigiacomo a family friend also.
They offered it to Josh and he said no. Nick will have it for his whole career.

Yeah, off course. They’d have run him out of the club if he didn’t want it. How moronic. You’re not worth my time, I’ll leave it there.

Yep, Nick was always going to take it. That’s not the discussion though. It’s whether he’d have been made to wear it if he didn’t want it.

Imho, he’d have been offered it even if he wasn’t our 1st draftee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly, Brayden Sier was the greatest player to wear the 35!

Clearly, Brayden Sier was the greatest player to wear the 35!

Sier wore 36

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep, Nick was always going to take it. That’s not the discussion though. It’s whether he’d have been made to wear it if he didn’t want it.

Imho, he’d have been offered it even if he wasn’t our 1st draftee.
You know that the 1st pick gets 35 because Presti wore it not because Peter Daicos wore it dont you?

1st pick gets it.

No chance a young bloke who
has waited for years to play for the club, who knows Presti personally, whose Dad also made the number famous even considered not accepting it.

Nick has already said he wants to keep it if he can.

Myself, I would first offer Nick Daicos 22, the great John Greenings number.

35 honours Presti's incredible personal sacrifice not Peter Daicos equally great contribution.

That said if Nick wants 35 and the club are happy to allow it I won't complain.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You know that the 1st pick gets 35 because Presti wore it not because Peter Daicos wore it dont you?

1st pick gets it.

has waited for years to play for the club, who knows Presti personally, whose Dad also made the number famous even considered not accepting it.

35 honours Presti's incredible personal sacrifice not Peter Daicos equally great contribution.

I loved Presti as much as the next pies supporter but…. No offence Presti. Peter Daicos made 35 famous and if his son chose to keep it, it would be a fail by the club not to allow it. A bit of a no brainer really.

Peter Daicos was a true magician. Did anything one could imagine.
Torps from the center circle, evasive skills, clutch goals.
Freakshow on display every week.

His 97 goals in 1990 is a record for a non KPF.

Leigh Mathews next best with 89..

Mathews midfield clearances and goals combined was exceptionally special.

Buckley and Pendlebury absolute stars but not at all at the same level.

Let’s not get too carried away with Nick just yet. Super first year…….But he is not his father. Nick doesn’t have the one on one skills that made his father unique. Nor his strength to run through the guts and be a goal scoring mid. Just yet. Nick is slick ball user and more of a link player. And probably won’t be able to match this years levels in his second year. As teams will do more work on him being loose. Let’s see how his second year goes before we pronounce him the messiah just yet.

And for qualification I saw most of Peters games and it was a joy to watch. As was Bucks and now Pendles. All for different reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s not get too carried away with Nick just yet. Super first year…….But he is not his father. Nick doesn’t have the one on one skills that made his father unique. Nor his strength to run through the guts and be a goal scoring mid. Just yet. Nick is slick ball user and more of a link player. And probably won’t be able to match this years levels in his second year. As teams will do more work on him being loose. Let’s see how his second year goes before we pronounce him the messiah just yet.

And for qualification I saw most of Peters games and it was a joy to watch. As was Bucks and now Pendles. All for different reasons.

Lids off, lessss go

giphy.gif

At the moment you're right that Nick is essentially a really slick, smart, hard- working receiver. However it's the glimpses of him being able to execute in a phone box that makes him potentially becoming so much more than the excellent linking player that he already is. Gerard Healy with Greg Williams' clean hands, vision and awareness in tight. That's what he could become.

1st pick gets it.

Regardless of the bolded, the player doesn’t have a choice in the matter until the club officially drops the tradition. If Nick had said “I don’t want to wear that number” the clubs response would have been, “that’s fine, you can wear it for year 1, as is our rule for all our first draft selections, and then next year you can select an available number of your choice.”

The club isn’t going to change the way they do things because a first year player demands it, regardless of who they are, and a player isn’t going to kick up a stink just because they are allocated a specific number for 1 year. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably needs to re-think their logic.

1st pick gets it.

To me, and no disrespect to past, present and future players No 22 will always be John Greening's number, 35 will always be Peter Daicos' and recently
36 will always be Dane Swan's number

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back