Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry yes athleticism is overrated because athleticism for for athletics - it's a combination of physical factors for athletics.

Athleticism has it's place in all sports but it's given far too much weight by people who don't understand football.

In it's purest form athleticism relates to strength, power, fitness, agility, balance etc. It isn't specific to athletics. Daicos' pivot, leap, agility, endurance, balance, acceleration, & explosiveness are athletic attributes.

These are the raw materials that enable a human to compete at the highest level.

People charged with developing talent recognise this. It is why younger players are given extra strength / power / VO2 work over the preseason. Their coaches recognise that they won't be able to make the most of their skills unless they can physically compete.

My statement was that there are 3 factors that make someone elite:

• Physical attributes
  • Situational awareness
  • Sport specific skill

You tend to prioritise the last 2 and call them "being a footballer". They can't be divorced from the first. That's undisputable.

Last edited:
In it's purest form athleticism relates to strength, power, fitness, agility, balance etc. It isn't specific to athletics. Daicos' pivot, agility, balance, acceleration, & explosiveness are athletic attributes.

These are the raw materials that enable a human to compete at the highest level.

People charged with developing talent recognise this. It is why younger players are given extra strength / power / VO2 work over the preseason. Their coaches recognise that they won't be able to make the most of their skills unless they can physically compete.

My statement was that there are 3 factors that make someone elite:

• Physical attributes
  • Situational awareness
  • Sport specific skill

You tend to prioritise the last 2 and call them "being a footballer". They can't be divorced from the first. That's undisputable.
Disagree jathanas but that's what it's all about.

For the record both my parents were state level sports people and I was a junior state basketballer so I'm not completely ignorant.

Athletic traits are the BASIS that all sports build from but just the BASIS.

You miss the point in that athletic traits are given far too much focus in regards to any sports outside athletics.

They are an important bedrock to build on but never more than that.

For the record both my parents were state level sports people and I was a junior state basketballer so I'm not completely ignorant.

You miss the point in that athletic traits are given far too much focus in regards to any sports outside athletics.

Junior level sport, even at state level is a far cry from AFL.

Consider this:

• Pendles without the endurance to run for 4 quarters. His smarts would go to waste because he wouldn't be able to get to a contest.
  • McCreery without the 140kg bench and acceleration. His tackles would be shrugged off, the ones he managed to get to that is.
  • Collingwood as a side in '22 without the ability to run hard in the last 10 minutes of the game. The team would not have won as many close finishes without the strength and conditioning program.

"Basic" athletic traits are measured and individual programs are put in place that track and improve them. The professionals employed by the club rightfully focus on them. This is high performance in the modern world.

Junior level sport, even at state level is a far cry from AFL.

Consider this:

• Pendles without the endurance to run for 4 quarters. His smarts would go to waste because he wouldn't be able to get to a contest.
  • McCreery without the 140kg bench and acceleration. His tackles would be shrugged off, the ones he managed to get to that is.
  • Collingwood as a side in '22 without the ability to run hard in the last 10 minutes of the game. The team would not have won as many close finishes without the strength and conditioning program.

"Basic" athletic traits are measured and individual programs are put in place that track and improve them. The professionals employed by the club rightfully focus on them. This is high performance in the modern world.
Well I can see we view this through different lenses mate it's all good let's just let it lay.

Sorry yes athleticism is overrated because athleticism for for athletics - it's a combination of physical factors for athletics.

Athleticism has it's place in all sports but it's given far too much weight by people who don't understand football.

If you have 2 equal footballers but one can run further, sprint faster, stronger and jump higher they will be the superior player.

That is what athleticism is.

Most stars of the game tick a few boxes in the athlete department.

Oh your parents are athletes, glad I know that now, cause if I hadn’t heard it before I might doubt your takes about things.

Nick already back in the gym looking at Maynard’s Instagram. This kid just has it… all the talent and drive to become a legend.
giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus ****ing Christ… 🤦🏼

In other breaking news Dwayne thinks water is wet and sheep have wool
I mean, we all love Nick and want him to be a superstar, but it's not blindingly obvious to say that Nick Daicos will be a Top 10 player in the league next year.

That means he wins our best and fairest comfortably, in all likelihood, and is that what we all have money on?

I mean, we all love Nick and want him to be a superstar, but it's not blindingly obvious to say that Nick Daicos will be a Top 10 player in the league next year.

That means he wins our best and fairest comfortably, in all likelihood, and is that what we all have money on?
If you were going to make a wild prediction about a second year player making the top 10 in the year who would you nominate?

That part is blindingly obvious.

As far as I’m aware there’s no lack of speed or athleticism, real or perceived. He’s quick off the mark, and commentators have been consistently raving about his ability to keep running and getting to contests, his tank is huge for a kid of his age.
The only question mark is strength, but that’s common for younger players and easy to fix over the course of a couple of preseasons. Just look at his brother, Nick will grow in to his body in the same way.
Agreed. I’d say Nick is genuinely quick.

I've put all my allocated pant money for next year on it.

Win Win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back