Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 21, 2005
the G.. home of the pies!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Well there you have Nick Maxwell has finished in 5th place in our best and fairest. Was he the 5th best player all year? Surely his votes have been inflated? His year was ok but no where near his All Australian years in fact i thought Maxwell dropped off the pace this year. Discuss.

What is this thread supposed to achieve?
All Australian years?He has only had one 2009.
Thought he had a handful of very good games this year,we all know he isn't blessed with super talent.

He bleeds black and white and no one should question his effort and desire when he pulls on the Collingwood jumper.
Great leader IMO.

What is this thread supposed to achieve?
All Australian years?He has only had one 2009.
Thought he had a handful of very good games this year,we all know he isn't blessed with super talent.

He bleeds black and white and no one should question his effort and desire when he pulls on the Collingwood jumper.
Great leader IMO.

My guess is this thread was meant to achieve a discussion on whether maxwell was the 5th best player at collingwood this year. I didn't see where the op questioned his effort or desire nor his leadership ability. pre emptive defensive post?

in answer to the op, no i don't think he was the 5th best player all year, i don't think his votes were inflated, his form was not as good as his aa year. players that do the team things well generally poll well in club bnfs - these are the things that good foundations are built upon.

My guess is this thread was meant to achieve a discussion on whether maxwell was the 5th best player at collingwood this year. I didn't see where the op questioned his effort or desire nor his leadership ability. pre emptive defensive post?

in answer to the op, no i don't think he was the 5th best player all year, i don't think his votes were inflated, his form was not as good as his aa year. players that do the team things well generally poll well in club bnfs - these are the things that good foundations are built upon.
Maybe you're right.
There were only three or four standouts this year and that's how it turned out.
The rest you could have thrown a blanket over.

Who in your opinion was more worthy of 5th?

Maybe you're right.
I think he thoroughly deserves 5th,Where would you place him and who do you think should be in front of him?
I dont think i would have walked away from a game this year and had Maxwell in my best five players from rounds 1-23 let alone the 5th best player at Collingwood in 2012. I thought he was just tracking at times. If he is worthy of the 5th place there should be no question of him giving up the captaincy next year.

Personally if I think you were someone who watched every game this year and not based the judgement from previous years I would find it hard to have Maxwell as the 5th best player in 2012.
Thought he was very good this year and held the defence together well as he usually does.

I did watch every game this year.Some multiple times.
Agree to disagree then.

Thought he was very good this year and held the defence together well as he usually does.

I did watch every game this year.Some multiple times.
Agree to disagree then.
Which games in particular did you think he played well in and who did he beat? Name say his best 3 games. Just interested.

Maybe you're right.

Thought at the very least jolly and reid were better. think jolly also should be getting bonus points because we have such a heavy reliance on him, he practically rucks by himself and the last two games against west coast (one with and one without) showed how important and good he is for us. Cloke also had a better year, we just expect more from him so we mark him harsher - he also had people turn on him because of the contract saga.

in saying this if more of players played like maxwell we would be a much better team, you just have to look at lenny hayes to see how good a player is when you mix talent with heart.

I also think Maxwell finishing 5th shows how badly our real depth of quality players as fallen away this year.

probably a combination of injuries and form of key players. maxwell finishing top 5 shows how much up side is in the team, this is a positive sign imo. when our players get some continuity and consistency in their game i think we will be a vastly improved side in 2013

Which games in particular did you think he played well in and who did he beat? Name say his best 3 games. Just interested.
Funnily enough it was a couple of games we were belted in round 3 (would like to forget that one).
Also against the hawks round 17 iirc........maybe I'm blinded by the never say die attitude he has even when the rest of the team are down and we are getting a hiding,but Maxy keeps trying his guts out.
Yes thought Reid had some great games,but also some bad ones.Maybe expect more from Reid after his great year in 2011.

Maybe you're right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well there you have Nick Maxwell has finished in 5th place in our best and fairest. Was he the 5th best player all year? Surely his votes have been inflated? His year was ok but no where near his All Australian years in fact i thought Maxwell dropped off the pace this year. Discuss.

don't know about 5th place, I assume maxwell polls well in the key criteria used for this award. Anyway, in the games I saw this year Maxwell played consistent good footy, replete with the 1%'s he's renowned for. Maybe not as good as 2009 but not that far off and massive improvement on 2011.

I don't know what pace you think he dropped off? Certainly wasn't the pace of his teammates in the backline or the team in general.

Just goes to show how bad a yer a few payer had. Reid and Thomas finishing equal tenth reflects very average years for both those boys and does not reflect the talent either of them have.

Obviously better judges see what the OP doesn't
Dunno about "better" judges. It's subjective opinion.

On a board I frequent, the end result we came up with on a weekly 54321 voting system:
1. Dayne Beams
2. Scott Pendlebury
3. Dane Swan
4. Travis Cloke
5. Darren Jolly
6. Ben Reid
7. Steele Sidebottom
8. Jarryd Blair
9. Dale Thomas
10. Heath Shaw
11. Harry O'Brien
12. Nick Maxwell

Again, nothing's definitive about subjective opinion, and the club also may have non-game day points allocated, but in terms of raw numbers, Max wasn't even half of 5th placed Jolly.

For mine, based on my perception though the a hazy year of heavy drinking during games, Maxwell at 5 is way over the top relative to game performance.

He had a good year, I wasn't that surprised although I though Jolly would have finished above him. He did win the Gavin Brown award which suggest he is doing all the little things which the coaches no doubt value highly.

Nick is recognised by the club as a vital cog. I tend to agree with his attack on the ball is an example to all. Played injured for a lot of the year and stands tall in all situations, hates losing. He may not have the skill and flair of others, but his run is vital and his leadership is imperitive in the backline. Not sure why others continually question his importance.

Experts that have been associated with the club and football all their lives at the elite level versus the OP.. I think it's the very definition of better
Are these the same "experts" who recruited in a proven dud in Simon Buckley, and somehow or other extended his contract past the obligatory 2 year commitment, despite repeated off field discretions and the fact that on field he is like a lamb thrown into a lion's den?

Reality is mate, this is an interwebz discussion board and I reckon the OP has a very valid point. I'd have put Max around the 10-14 mark to be honest. I dunno the exact criteria for the Copeland, but if there's any off field points allocated, then I'm sure this is where Max cleans up. But on field...

I love Maxie's character and commitment. If only every guy on our list felt as lucky as he does to wear the black and white.

In my view though he wasn't a top 5 player this year but I can respect that other supporters with far better judgement than mine rate him higher.

Maybe you're right.

Half the team.

Maxwell had an Ok year with terrible disposal and decision making with the ball.

5th is a joke even top 10 would raise eyebrows if most are honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Maxwell finishes 5th in b and f

Remove this Banner Ad

Back