NickNat has zero confidence in his kicking...

Remove this Banner Ad

Audacious

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Just got home from the game. We all know he is handball happy and he is usually quite skilled with it. However there are times when the handpass hurts your team and today we saw it.

3rd quarter was running towards goal with no-one in front of him. 50m out, had the wind behind him, but rather than shoot at goal he handpassed to a contest... Then again in the 3rd quarter running off the half-back line he refused to kick the ball and sold a teammate into trouble with a nothing handpass rather than playing the percentages and booting the ball. 1st quarter he tried handpassing to himself instead of trusting his ability to kick the ball down the wing.

Its starting to get embarrassing. I honestly dont care if he has an up and under kick which is hit and miss. You cant go handpassing the ball at every opportunity when clearly a kick to a target or at goal is the much better team option.

I seriously hope the Eagles staff work on his kicking over the pre-season so he has more confidence when he has possession of the ball.

What the? His progress has been fantastic, any short comings he has will be ironed out. I think now is well and truly a time to highlight the positives, not the negatives.

• Banned
What the? His progress has been fantastic, any short comings he has will be ironed out. I think now is well and truly a time to highlight the positives, not the negatives.
i disagree. You dont become a better player by focusing on your positive side, while neglecting deficiencies in your game.

Now watching on TV i noticed NickNat take a good mark on the wing, but then handpass to Swift who was 1m away and in a worse position. NickNat then sheparded the North player who was already lying on the ground :eek:

Im sorry if you just want to highlight his good points. If your watching on TV, he does some really good things in the 3rd quarter setting up goals. But the handpass happy mentality needs to be worked on. Naitanui can be an elite player and right now one of the most glaring things in his game is his complete lack of confidence in his kicking. Everyone at the ground notices this too, so its not just me.

i disagree. You dont become a better player by focusing on your positive side, while neglecting deficiencies in your game.

Now watching on TV i noticed NickNat take a good mark on the wing, but then handpass to Swift who was 1m away and in a worse position. NickNat then sheparded the North player who was already lying on the ground :eek:

Im sorry if you just want to highlight his good points. If your watching on TV, he does some really good things in the 3rd quarter setting up goals. But the handpass happy mentality needs to be worked on. Naitanui can be an elite player and right now one of the most glaring things in his game is his complete lack of confidence in his kicking. Everyone at the ground notices this too, so its not just me.

Perhaps you should change your user name to "everysilverlininghasacloud"?

It may come as a shock to you that a 19 year old 202cm ruckman is not the finished article. It may also come as a shock to know that the Eagles do a game DVD of every single act by every single player during a game and analyse that with the players.

A 19 year old who makes the odd decision error and who looks to handball instead of kick (because he is pretty much elite at one and modest at the other) is hardly the stuff requiring an Inquisition.

Yes, he does tend to look to handball first and he does occasionally make decision errors as a result. I am also absolutely certain he is far from the finsihed product.

Did you also notice that his ruckwork was responsible for our highest scoring quarter of the year?

Or we you too busy chatting to fellow crowd members about his inability to play full back with the prowess of Darren Glass?

WOW at 18 his game is not perfect... Gee thats a surprise..... FFS give him a break....

Yes his kicking confidence is very poor... there someone has agreed with you .. does that make you feel better.

As has been said previously he ruck work today was simply sensational for a kid with only a handful of games.

Annoyed me a little bit when he could have kicked the goal, wouldn't hurt to be able to kick it to the hot spot...but his handballing is very good.

this thread is not about his ruckwork. Please stay on topic.
Just thought it was an important point that you didn't mention. He is playing very well for a 19 year old who has had to carry the ruck a few games in his first season, and one who is coming off a knee injury earlier in the year.

I would like to see him kick it more, but I'm perfectly happy with how he is progressing. It will be another few years before he is really ready, I'm content with looking at the positives of the young players rather than the negatives. I don't see this being a big problem, and his advantages at the moment far outweigh that problem.

Perhaps you should change your user name to "everysilverlininghasacloud"?

It may come as a shock to you that a 19 year old 202cm ruckman is not the finished article. It may also come as a shock to know that the Eagles do a game DVD of every single act by every single player during a game and analyse that with the players.

A 19 year old who makes the odd decision error and who looks to handball instead of kick (because he is pretty much elite at one and modest at the other) is hardly the stuff requiring an Inquisition.

Yes, he does tend to look to handball first and he does occasionally make decision errors as a result. I am also absolutely certain he is far from the finsihed product.

Did you also notice that his ruckwork was responsible for our highest scoring quarter of the year?

Or we you too busy chatting to fellow crowd members about his inability to play full back with the prowess of Darren Glass?
What is it with Eagles supporters being so precious about Naitanui? I never said he was the finished article, or demand that he reach his potential by the end of this year. Your inquisition remark and Darren Glass stab are typical of a supporter who is so sensitive to any constructive criticism of an Eagles player.

I already acknowledged that he set up goals during the game, but i want to discuss why he is so deterred from kicking the ball. Is that too much to ask? Why bother making a post in reply to a thread that does nothing than ask silly questions and make stupid statements?

Back on topic - are there any Swan Districts supporters who can shed some light on what his kicking is like, or why he is so reluctant to put boot to ball? Ive seen his youtube highlights and he kicked some good goals on the run.

WOW at 18 his game is not perfect... Gee thats a surprise..... FFS give him a break....

Yes his kicking confidence is very poor... there someone has agreed with you .. does that make you feel better.

As has been said previously he ruck work today was simply sensational for a kid with only a handful of games.
so u make 1 concessions and ill make another. His ruckwork today was very good.

SPOILER**

The tap in the 3rd quarter from a centre bounce to embley was great, and he followed up with a similar effort not long after as well. Was probably directly responsible for 2 goals today.

However, id like to hear from Swan Districts fans what his kicking is like..

Its starting to get embarrassing. I honestly dont care if he has an up and under kick which is hit and miss. You cant go handpassing the ball at every opportunity when clearly a kick to a target or at goal is the much better team option.

I seriously hope the Eagles staff work on his kicking over the pre-season so he has more confidence when he has possession of the ball.

What is it with Eagles supporters being so precious about Naitanui? I never said he was the finished article, or demand that he reach his potential by the end of this year. Your inquisition remark and Darren Glass stab are typical of a supporter who is so sensitive to any constructive criticism of an Eagles player.

Nothing to do with sensitivity. Just can't understand how someone can be so completely clueless as to watch NickNat today and their first reaction is to start a thread about his non-kicking being "embarassing".

My inquisition remark followed my comment that clearly, in case you weren't aware (and awareness doesnt seem your strong suit), the coaches are already working on his game.

I already acknowledged that he set up goals during the game, but i want to discuss why he is so deterred from kicking the ball. Is that too much to ask? Why bother making a post in reply to a thread that does nothing than ask silly questions and make stupid statements?

A. You actually had a crack ateveryone who pointed out that his positives FAR outweigh any negatives AND he is 19 and developing nicely.

B. You start this thread with your OP and you accuse me of silliness and stupidity :rolleyes:

In case it wasnt made clear, I suspect you are clueless i.e. having not a single clue. My post reflected my being flabbergasted by your ability to focus on a minor issue in context and avoid and actively criticise anyone who pointed that out.

A simple concession that you went of half-cocked and started a silly thread is all that was required. :)

In fairness to the OP it was one thing I felt today watching the game as well - I'd like to see Naitanui kick the ball more often than he does.

What I am unsure of is whether he lacks confidence in his kicking or that he is just trying to bring other players into the game using handball which is very creative for a bigman.

I'm sure that the understanding that sometimes it is better to kick than handball will come though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Handball to the first target you see and block to make space, that im sure is a directive given by the coaching staff to every one of our players. Such is the ability of the Naita handball he seems to do it more often then most, but in future when he gets a few games under his belt and more used to the speed he will be the only player in the competition that will have the supporters yelling "Just HANDBALL the bloody thing"!!

Its a weapon.

Your right though with one of the scenarios where he was inside 50 moving towards goal he should of kicked it. Is it worth a thread? possibly.. im sure that actually taking responsibility to kick goals when inside 50 is something that he will work on. Mabye he is just taking the the direction of the coaches too literally atm, im sure he is capable though infact ive seen him kick snaps at WAFL and AFL level.

In fairness to the OP it was one thing I felt today watching the game as well - I'd like to see Naitanui kick the ball more often than he does.

What I am unsure of is whether he lacks confidence in his kicking or that he is just trying to bring other players into the game using handball which is very creative for a bigman.

I'm sure that the understanding that sometimes it is better to kick than handball will come though.

No-one disputes any of this Keyser. One does wonder how anyone could watch NN today and the most important thing they could think to do was comment on the "embarassment" they felt from his non-kicking.

Its an absurd way to view NN's game today. One suspects Audacious would have watched Fred Fanning kick 18.1 and discussed how embarassing it was that he kicked that point.
:)

No-one disputes any of this Keyser. One does wonder how anyone could watch NN today and the most important thing they could think to do was comment on the "embarassment" they felt from his non-kicking.

Its an absurd way to view NN's game today. One suspects Audacious would have watched Fred Fanning kick 18.1 and discussed how embarassing it was that he kicked that point.
:)
http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=1942

Career so far: 13 kicks, and 66 handpasses.

You cant tell me that there isnt something wrong there. You can be a smart arse all you like, but the stats dont lie.

Nothing to do with sensitivity. Just can't understand how someone can be so completely clueless as to watch NickNat today and their first reaction is to start a thread about his non-kicking being "embarassing".

My inquisition remark followed my comment that clearly, in case you weren't aware (and awareness doesnt seem your strong suit), the coaches are already working on his game.

A. You actually had a crack ateveryone who pointed out that his positives FAR outweigh any negatives AND he is 19 and developing nicely.

B. You start this thread with your OP and you accuse me of silliness and stupidity :rolleyes:

In case it wasnt made clear, I suspect you are clueless i.e. having not a single clue. My post reflected my being flabbergasted by your ability to focus on a minor issue in context and avoid and actively criticise anyone who pointed that out.

A simple concession that you went of half-cocked and started a silly thread is all that was required. :)
lol so im the one who is clueless eh? Im asking for any keen WAFL fans (in particular Swan Districts) to shed some light on NickNat and his kicking ability. YOu obviously are clueless as to what his kicking is like as well, otherwise you would make a post on it rather than try and attack my credibility.

In response to your reply (which you cant actually do for mine):

a) i didnt have a crack at everyone highlighting his positives.
b) you are still making stupid and silly comments that are not on topic.

Do you have anything to add other than attacking me, or do you like most of us have stuff all knowledge on Naitanui and his kicking skills.

Please grow up, and stop trying to be patronising. No matter how clever and witty you think you are, you're not.

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=1942

Career so far: 13 kicks, and 66 handpasses.

You cant tell me that there isnt something wrong there. You can be a smart arse all you like, but the stats dont lie.

The stats tell us he handballs a lot more than he kicks... and?

You said it was embarassing. Anyone who watched NN today and came away with their first thought being embarassment has no idea.... its really that simple.

So what exactly?

Adam Cockie: 28 K 58 HB

Mark Seaby 18 K 34 HB

Matt Priddis 187 K 277 HB

Darren Glass 55 K 181 HB

Daniel Kerr 79 K 138 HB

Patrick McGinnity 31 K 54 HB

Tom Swift 50 K 81 HB

Dean Cox 139 K 145 HB

Obviously Cox, Kerr and Glass lack confidence in their kicking.

lol so im the one who is clueless eh? Im asking for any keen WAFL fans (in particular Swan Districts) to shed some light on NickNat and his kicking ability. YOu obviously are clueless as to what his kicking is like as well, otherwise you would make a post on it rather than try and attack my credibility.

In response to your reply (which you cant actually do for mine):

a) i didnt have a crack at everyone highlighting his positives.
b) you are still making stupid and silly comments that are not on topic.

Do you have anything to add other than attacking me, or do you like most of us have stuff all knowledge on Naitanui and his kicking skills.

Please grow up, and stop trying to be patronising. No matter how clever and witty you think you are, you're not.

Lets not get into a discussion about relative cleverness, it wouldnt end well for you.

On topic, Nick Nat can kick. I have watched him plenty of times at WAFL level and he is an ok kick although he tends to have an up and under (slow kick) style.

His handballing though is elite. Of his 79 disposals, 52 have been contested. Given he is playing inside, winning 70%+ of his disposals in a contested manner, he is playing in a handball first game plan and he isnt an elite kick then a very high handball to kick ratio is likely. There have been 5 or 6 occasions when he should have kicked but generally the handball has bene the right option. Its not that difficult.

Regardless, how the hell did you watch that game and think "embarassing" when you saw NN's game?

Naitanui was good today, love how he always plays on no matter the circumstances. Creates run and some excitement.

He has a lot to work on, kicking especially and some elements of his ruck technique need to be refined/ taught further.

This thread is indicative of an article written in the age on friday, which quoted bigfooty and stated that for some reason AFL fans seem only to focus on the negatives.

On topic, Nick Nat can kick. I have watched him plenty of times at WAFL level and he is an ok kick although he tends to have an up and under (slow kick) style.

His handballing though is elite. Of his 79 disposals, 52 have been contested. Given he is playing inside, winning 70%+ of his disposals in a contested manner, he is playing in a handball first game plan and he isnt an elite kick then a very high handball to kick ratio is likely. There have been 5 or 6 occasions when he should have kicked but generally the handball has bene the right option.
why couldn't u have written that 1st?

Naitanui was good today, love how he always plays on no matter the circumstances. Creates run and some excitement.

He has a lot to work on, kicking especially and some elements of his ruck technique need to be refined/ taught further.

This thread is indicative of an article written in the age on friday, which quoted bigfooty and stated that for some reason AFL fans seem only to focus on the negatives.

But sometimes thats fun.... did you know Palmer can't kick and Pavlich is a choker?
;)

By the way, I agree with your NN comments.

why couldn't u have written that 1st?

Because he's an angry, angry man.

But he is right, he tends to get right under his kicks, almost a mechanical, like is practising his technique with each kick. Doesnt look natural, but he can kick and will get better with time.

Remove this Banner Ad

NickNat has zero confidence in his kicking...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back