Nicky Winmar to take legal action against Newman, Scott and Sheahan

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely I was. We have no idea what discussions took place.

I wonder why he didnt go for 18D and instead went for the financial route.

So again an apology is made and settlement is paid and you are questioning Winmars actions still?

Such a weak way to go about stuff to go after the 'victim'.

Winmar is extremely sensitive for a bloke convicted of assaulting a cab driver.

I understand he wants the record set straight, but this is merely a few blokes giving their OPINION on a podcast.

Surely he has better things to do.

So three high profile football people basically call you a liar and want to rewrite the facts of an event -- verified by not only Winmar but also by The Age photographer who took the photo. An event that was significant in highlighting racism towards Indigenous players and one of the most important events in AFL history and Winmar is accused by you of being sensitive.

Nah, I'm definitely fine. I'm just posting what I'm seeing you do. Nothing complicated about it.

What about yourself? How are you going?

Got any other angles about what might of happened?

Im sure there are a few angles.

We know Winmar punched a guy then kicked him when he was on the ground.

Says a bit about his character. Certainly opens up questions.

So three high profile football people basically call you a liar and want to rewrite the facts of an event -- verified by not only Winmar but also by The Age photographer who took the photo. An event that was significant in highlighting racism towards Indigenous players and one of the most important events in AFL history and Winmar is accused by you of being sensitive.

A few of his teammates must think he is a liar as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im sure there are a few angles.

We know Winmar punched a guy then kicked him when he was on the ground.

Says a bit about his character. Certainly opens up questions.

Well our character is always on display.

You don't need to be in the public eye for that.

You can look at what people post on a footy board and have a fair idea of the kind of person they are as well.

Isn't that right HairyO?

Well our character is always on display.

You don't need to be in the public eye for that.

You can look at what people post on a footy board and have a fair idea of the kind of person they are as well.

Isn't that right HairyO?

Yes. There are apologist woke types who will ignore everything that doesnt suit their narrative.

Right raffrox?

Sam Newman ‘vindicated’ in defamation win (paywalled)

Footy Show great Sam Newman has won a confidential settlement from four media organisations, including his long-time employer Channel 9, and an apology from an award-winning photographer, over online articles about the famous Nicky Winmar “jumper lift” which he claimed defamed him.

Newman and fellow AFL great Don Scott launched legal action in the Federal Court in November against photographer Wayne Ludbey, the DailyMail.com Australia, ESPN.com.au, Nine Entertainment Co and Verizon Media Australia claiming they suffered reputational damage from interviews Ludbey gave to the DailyMail.com Australia and ESPN.com.au last year.

As part of the settlement, Ludbey provided a written apology to Newman and Scott.

Newman said... “We are satisfied with the outcome and delighted with the apology.”

If anyone ever doubts that Newman is a racist piece of sh*t - watch this. It's a special segment on the Footy Show designed to discuss and highlight the racism Chris Lewis was subjected to during his AFL career and the impact it had on him. Dermot Brereton acknowledges that Hawthorne targeted him with Racism, and apologises for it. Dermott comes across OK. He says he was uneducated and did the wrong thing.

Newman actually says to Brereton that there was nothing in it and it was just "gamesmanship"...........During a segment discussing the impact of racist comments.....to the person that says they did the wrong thing.....in front of the person that was racially abused.....on national TV.

And it is his only contribution in the whole 15-minute segment.

How this racist idiot was given so many years on television speaks volumes to the general public.

6:40 is where he starts, but you need to watch the full video to see how out of place his racist comments are.

I think you’re drawing a very long bow there saying Newman was racist in his remarks during that segment.

All he did was basically ask Brereton if his taunting of Lewis in 91’ GF was pure racist motivation for the sake of it or was it a tactic to put Lewis off his game and rattle him.

We all know it was about Hawthorn players using vulgar language of the racist kind to put him off and not some KKK style attack on a black man.

Newman is basically a snob. A Geelong Grammar educated Anglican WASP who thinks he’s superior to the average person. He thinks of himself as an intellectual and a refined person of note.

But he’s a w***er and a misogynist and a really boring type of guy who admits he hasn’t many friends because he’s so insufferably pompous.

He’s not a bad person who goes out of his way to attack people but he has put his foot in it dozens of times over because basically he’s not that bright at all.

He adores Trump ffs. That says it all.

You either like him or loathe him.

If anyone ever doubts that Newman is a racist piece of sh*t - watch this. It's a special segment on the Footy Show designed to discuss and highlight the racism Chris Lewis was subjected to during his AFL career and the impact it had on him. Dermot Brereton acknowledges that Hawthorne targeted him with Racism, and apologises for it. Dermott comes across OK. He says he was uneducated and did the wrong thing.

Newman actually says to Brereton that there was nothing in it and it was just "gamesmanship"...........During a segment discussing the impact of racist comments.....to the person that says they did the wrong thing.....in front of the person that was racially abused.....on national TV.

And it is his only contribution in the whole 15-minute segment.

How this racist idiot was given so many years on television speaks volumes to the general public.

6:40 is where he starts, but you need to watch the full video to see how out of place his racist comments are.

Probably the worst post I've ever read. I deserve an apology for having suffered through those 100 words.

I think you’re drawing a very long bow there saying Newman was racist in his remarks during that segment.

All he did was basically ask Brereton if his taunting of Lewis in 91’ GF was pure racist motivation for the sake of it or was it a tactic to put Lewis off his game and rattle him.

We all know it was about Hawthorn players using vulgar language of the racist kind to put him off and not some KKK style attack on a black man.

Newman is basically a snob. A Geelong Grammar educated Anglican WASP who thinks he’s superior to the average person. He thinks of himself as an intellectual and a refined person of note.

But he’s a w***er and a misogynist and a really boring type of guy who admits he hasn’t many friends because he’s so insufferably pompous.

He’s not a bad person who goes out of his way to attack people but he has put his foot in it dozens of times over because basically he’s not that bright at all.

He adores Trump ffs. That says it all.

You either like him or loathe him.
No he didn't just ask Brereton - he put a statement to Brereton that there was nothing to worry about and it was just gamesmanship. To his credit, Breteton looked really uncomfortable with what Newman was trying to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicky Winmar to take legal action against Newman, Scott and Sheahan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back