Opinion NMFC Board Cricket ThreadII - Windies, Big Bash, Pakistan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windies have shown a bit, considering they’re essentially a team of unblooded kids.

Hopefully both the kids and the administration can stick fat and build over the next few years.

Windies have shown a bit, considering they’re essentially a team of unblooded kids.

Hopefully both the kids and the administration can stick fat and build over the next few years.
The problem is, every time they get a team together of good young players, most of them leave to play T20 cricket for the $
As soon as they get somewhat decent, they are back to picking youngsters

Cant see khawaja playing next game after that hit even with the extra break. Guess the public will get their wish to see one of the 3 open the batting most likely being renshaw who is in the squad

The problem is, every time they get a team together of good young players, most of them leave to play T20 cricket for the $
As soon as they get somewhat decent, they are back to picking youngsters

I think its been mentioned before somewhere, but in my opinion the ICC has to do something about firstly, scheduling of 20/20 tournaments so that they do not clash with Test Series and secondly, bringing in some sharing of finances across all Test Cricket nations/Salary Cap, so that there is an incentive for all players to play Test Cricket.

Two Test Series linger in my memory as some of the great cricket series, being the unforgettable West Indies 1960/61 tour and the South African 1963/64 series. Wonderful cricket, wonderful players. We've lost so much since then,

Did they though? I'll pay S.Joseph and McKenzie but collectively the rest did SFA. Take out their contributions and they were all out for 102 in the first innings and 79 in the second (a total of 18 sundries in that 181 as well). Joseph took half their wickets too.

Having said that, take out Head and Hazlewood from Australia and they weren't great either - far from the "all-time great" side that some media types are claiming them to be.

The last two Pakistan Tests were very good. This one was a stinker. It's patronising to say the Windies tried hard and inaccurate to say that Australia were great.

I think its been mentioned before somewhere, but in my opinion the ICC has to do something about firstly, scheduling of 20/20 tournaments so that they do not clash with Test Series and secondly, bringing in some sharing of finances across all Test Cricket nations/Salary Cap, so that there is an incentive for all players to play Test Cricket.

Two Test Series linger in my memory as some of the great cricket series, being the unforgettable West Indies 1960/61 tour and the South African 1963/64 series. Wonderful cricket, wonderful players. We've lost so much since then,

I think you'd be trying to get the toothpaste back into the tube. T20 Leagues are where the money is and all parties, including the ICC, are chasing it. There are so many cashed-up T20 Leagues that the only way to avoid them clashing with Tests is to cut back on Tests. In fact, the issue has become T20 Leagues clashing with each other. It's ludicrous that players who have played all season in the BBL are leaving literally the day before the finals to earn more money somewhere else. The only way the BBL can fix that is give more money to T20 players and perpetuate the problem.

The best Test series are still fantastic. The Ashes last year were excellent, as was India's last series here, and I'm really looking forward to England in India next week. However, the other nations CBF. Two-Test series are for the bin - India v SAf would have been great if it went to a 3rd with the series 1-1, but the Saffers bookended the series with some meaningless T20 and ODIs and the SA20 because that's where the money is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im glad some of us are still around that love the idea of the Windies being a force again Horace
but we are running out of support:

Jackson Barrett: It will soon be time to stop investing in the West Indies by playing against them​

Jackson Barrett
The West Australian
Fri, 19 January 2024

This certainly is not a Calypso summer of old.

But column inches, broadcast packages and social media coverage in the days before Australia’s opening Test against the West Indies was largely centred around their mighty contests of yesteryear — a desperate attempt at eking some nostalgia out of a series where there are few other points of interest.

There will come a time where we must let go of that nostalgia. Where Viv Richards, chest out, wielding willow and making batting look beautiful or Malcolm Marshall, Joel Garner, Michael Holding and other towering quicks — making batting look catastrophic — were the Caribbean’s kings of cricket.

Now we are nearing a point where the predicament of cricket in the once world-leading West Indies, and the dire financial straits of its board, will become irreversible.

And the question will soon become: when does Australia, and other powerhouse Test nations, stop investing in the West Indies by playing against them?

We get a fleeting glimpse on occasion of why this would be a sad state of affairs.

No one wants to see Test cricket become less accessible, and the emergence in the long-form of Ireland and Afghanistan has added plenty to the sport in recent years.

Shamar Joseph is why we don’t want this to happen.

He plays with a hint of the flare that characterised this cricket team many decades before him. In Adelaide, he made cricket fun again. Alzarri Joseph’s emergence a few years ago had much the same feeling, as did that of Tagenarine Chanderpaul last summer.

While not wishing Australia’s demise, the most engaging two hours of the shortest-ever Adelaide Test came when Joseph was slashing in a cavalier No.11 knock and when he charged in with rhythm and pace to take top-order wickets.

Cricket authorities in the West Indies are pushing the proverbial up hill in their financial arms race with Twenty20 leagues around the world. The prospect of Test players being compensated enough to wear maroon caps and resist franchise leagues is completely unforeseeable.

The International Cricket Council, its Future Tours Program and the moral obligation of the top Test-playing nations to support others beneath them are why the West Indies are still playing red-ball cricket.

In a jam-packed international schedule, where uncompetitive matches are the bane of broadcasters, fans, stadium and administrators; patience will soon wear thin.

It is not an overstatement to suggest this group of West Indian cricketers — many of who have been plucked out of first-class cricket with averages well below 30 — are playing for the conglomerate’s Test future.

Did they though? I'll pay S.Joseph and McKenzie but collectively the rest did SFA. Take out their contributions and they were all out for 102 in the first innings and 79 in the second (a total of 18 sundries in that 181 as well). Joseph took half their wickets too.

Having said that, take out Head and Hazlewood from Australia and they weren't great either - far from the "all-time great" side that some media types are claiming them to be.

The last two Pakistan Tests were very good. This one was a stinker. It's patronising to say the Windies tried hard and inaccurate to say that Australia were great.

I think you're harsh on Australia here. In the history of test cricket, games are often won off the back of exceptional performances of only 1, 2 or maybe 3 players. This time it was Head and Hazlewood. Previously it's been Cummins and/or Lyon and/or Smith and/or Marsh, or Marnus, or Starc, etc.

This is a very good Australian team because many of the current XI (not yet Green, but it will come) have contributed materially to many test wins.

I think you're harsh on Australia here. In the history of test cricket, games are often won off the back of exceptional performances of only 1, 2 or maybe 3 players. This time it was Head and Hazlewood. Previously it's been Cummins and/or Lyon and/or Smith and/or Marsh, or Marnus, or Starc, etc.

This is a very good Australian team because many of the current XI (not yet Green, but it will come) have contributed materially to many test wins.

True. It's a very good side, but on current form not a great one. This was a soft kill. If we're beating India next year over 5 Tests, or the Ashes, we'd be wanting more contributors and batters with more form than now.

I'll maintain that this was an average performance against a very weak and very inexperienced opposition.

Just looked up the 1961 Tied Test between Australia and the West Indies. Have a look at the scorecard. Just a sensational game of Test cricket. Perhaps the greatest game of Test Cricket ever.

Down to the wire with Ian Meckiff's run out to tie the Test. Here is a link to that iconic last scene.

The late great Alan Davidson, took 5 for 135 in the first innings and 6 for 87 in the second innings, plus had scores of 44 and 80. Possibly Australia's greatest ever bowler taking 186 Test wickets at 20.53 apiece, while Wes Hall took 4 for 140 and 5 for 63.

Norm O'Neill and Gary Sobers made centuries. There were 392.2 eight ball overs bowled and 1474 runs scored.

Out of curiosity roo blitz ,
Are you based over there?
Just wondered how the young participation rates are?
I get why they tried with the Hundred but did it work at all? I thought your T20 Blast (?) was doing ok from that end
Sorry m8 for late reply, I hadnt checked in for a while being the off season. I was born in UK but came here when I was only 6yo so I'm pretty much an Aussie now after 50 years in OZ. I love my test cricket in particular and always have. I have memories of watching the Centenary test and definitely remember the Roos winning the grand final both in 1977. I follow the England and Australian cricket scenes particularly closely but also follow the other teams as well. Unfortunately I think the franchise cricket is killing test cricket. Whilst the players are reaping the benefits I really think true test match skills are suffering. Watching cricket through the 80s with the great West Indian sides and watching Lillee, Chappell and Marsh etc go head to head with Botham, Willis and Gower will always remain my favourite cricket memories along with 2005. I hate the 100 ball stuff in UK. Its really not needed with T20. The worse thing they did in UK was taking test cricket away from free to air TV not long after 2005. Many youngsters are therefore not aspiring to be cricketers but soccer/football players. The nature of pitches over there means spinners are never able to master their skills. I did attend a game over there in 2005 and the atmosphere at the cricket is brilliant. The pommy supporters are quite funny especially when they have had a pint or 2 and when I was over there they were only too happy to treat a half pom/ half Aussie like myself to the cricket for the day. They had me in stitches all day with their banter and jokes. Thats why I hate the animosity between Pommy and Aussie supporters. Most are pretty good however.Whether we like it or not both supporters are very similar. Wanting to see their teams win but doing so in a good even contest.The biggest difference between Aussie and Pommy supporters/ players is that Aussies always think they can and will win and play with an arrogance and belief even it it rubs people up the wrong way. The poms always expect the worst and always seem to think they will lose from any position. The Pommy cricketers that have done best are those that have a bit of Aussie swagger, confidence and positive belief about them like Botham, Gower, Flintoff & Pietersen. Most Australian and Pommy cricketers become great m8s after they retire.

Last edited:
Im glad some of us are still around that love the idea of the Windies being a force again Horace
but we are running out of support:

Jackson Barrett: It will soon be time to stop investing in the West Indies by playing against them​

Jackson Barrett
The West Australian
Fri, 19 January 2024

This certainly is not a Calypso summer of old.

But column inches, broadcast packages and social media coverage in the days before Australia’s opening Test against the West Indies was largely centred around their mighty contests of yesteryear — a desperate attempt at eking some nostalgia out of a series where there are few other points of interest.

There will come a time where we must let go of that nostalgia. Where Viv Richards, chest out, wielding willow and making batting look beautiful or Malcolm Marshall, Joel Garner, Michael Holding and other towering quicks — making batting look catastrophic — were the Caribbean’s kings of cricket.

Now we are nearing a point where the predicament of cricket in the once world-leading West Indies, and the dire financial straits of its board, will become irreversible.

And the question will soon become: when does Australia, and other powerhouse Test nations, stop investing in the West Indies by playing against them?

We get a fleeting glimpse on occasion of why this would be a sad state of affairs.

No one wants to see Test cricket become less accessible, and the emergence in the long-form of Ireland and Afghanistan has added plenty to the sport in recent years.

Shamar Joseph is why we don’t want this to happen.

He plays with a hint of the flare that characterised this cricket team many decades before him. In Adelaide, he made cricket fun again. Alzarri Joseph’s emergence a few years ago had much the same feeling, as did that of Tagenarine Chanderpaul last summer.

While not wishing Australia’s demise, the most engaging two hours of the shortest-ever Adelaide Test came when Joseph was slashing in a cavalier No.11 knock and when he charged in with rhythm and pace to take top-order wickets.

Cricket authorities in the West Indies are pushing the proverbial up hill in their financial arms race with Twenty20 leagues around the world. The prospect of Test players being compensated enough to wear maroon caps and resist franchise leagues is completely unforeseeable.

The International Cricket Council, its Future Tours Program and the moral obligation of the top Test-playing nations to support others beneath them are why the West Indies are still playing red-ball cricket.

In a jam-packed international schedule, where uncompetitive matches are the bane of broadcasters, fans, stadium and administrators; patience will soon wear thin.

It is not an overstatement to suggest this group of West Indian cricketers — many of who have been plucked out of first-class cricket with averages well below 30 — are playing for the conglomerate’s Test future.
This article is absolute rot.

Stop investing in them?

The only reason they still play red ball cricket is because we lower ourselves to still give them a game?

Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

The fact that the ICC hasn’t been appropriately investing in them and other nations outside of the big three is exactly why we’re in this mess!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back