NMFC's Media Strategy: Smart or Vindictive?

Remove this Banner Ad

excellent play on words. 4 out of 5 possible golden ziebells

ziebellaward.jpg
ziebellaward.jpg
ziebellaward.jpg
ziebellaward.jpg

I like this very much.

Yep, though I did have a mate who won a few Arias back in the day.

I suspect you do too.

My next door neighbour's a Legend, or whatever they call that lifetime achievement award thingy they present at The Aria's each year.

Yep, though I did have a mate who won a few Arias back in the day.

I suspect you do too.

If you're talking about the guys from Human Nature then, yep, I read you loud and clear, mate.

New post discussing North's media strategy here:
http://roobeauty.wordpress.com/2010/02/25/in-bed-with-the-hun/

What do you think?

What do I think? Thanks for asking Rev. I think it is testament to you that a blog suggesting bias against a large newsapaper in favour of a larger one would get dozens of responses (from some of our best posters) and create legitimate debate and even receive clarification from a high ranking club official.

Considering your contention is based on 3 articles, and is easily proven wrong by the post by No Bull that references reporting by *almost* every member of the Age's sporting staff, I think it's almost a miracle that you have created this much debate.

Nice work. :thumbsu:

Nice opening, Rev, and good response from Heath.

Honestly, the fact the Age aren't chasing footy stories this time of year, think it's a holiday from football reporting - e.g. running the AAP cheat sheet on Ziebell in contract to the Hun's big story and photo - says it all about their priorities. They just do not get sport the way the Herald Sun does, and will never get the footy readership. I still read the Age for news and other stuff, because the rest of the Hun is rubbish, but the tabloid is all over the Age for football and I'm delighted we are part of the biggest-selling paper's coverage. A shame some good people - Emma Quayle, Rohan Connelly and a few others - are stuck where so feew people read them. And post-"relocation", Caro can bite me.

Nice opening, Rev, and good response from Heath.

Honestly, the fact the Age aren't chasing footy stories this time of year, think it's a holiday from football reporting - e.g. running the AAP cheat sheet on Ziebell in contract to the Hun's big story and photo - says it all about their priorities. They just do not get sport the way the Herald Sun does, and will never get the footy readership. I still read the Age for news and other stuff, because the rest of the Hun is rubbish, but the tabloid is all over the Age for football and I'm delighted we are part of the biggest-selling paper's coverage. A shame some good people - Emma Quayle, Rohan Connelly and a few others - are stuck where so feew people read them. And post-"relocation", Caro can bite me.

That filthy animal can double bite me. I can't forget how she derailed our season last year with her constant ramblings and venom regarding a rediculously blown out of proportion chook.
And, IMO, their new footy website lacks visual clarity (as well as decent reporting).

What do I think? Thanks for asking Rev. I think it is testament to you that a blog suggesting bias against a large newsapaper in favour of a larger one would get dozens of responses (from some of our best posters) and create legitimate debate and even receive clarification from a high ranking club official.

Considering your contention is based on 3 articles, and is easily proven wrong by the post by No Bull that references reporting by *almost* every member of the Age's sporting staff, I think it's almost a miracle that you have created this much debate.

Nice work. :thumbsu:

I'm happy to stand corrected on the article - Heath's response does kill any notion that The Age have been left out in the cold, as I suggested.

However, I stand by the suggestion that the Herald-Sun receives preferential treatment. As a commentor on my blog has rightly pointed out, The Age stories are hardly exclusives, as opposed to the juicey info handed to the Hun's lap. And while I only cited 3 examples, there are plenty of others over the past 6 months.

To me, it is clear NMFC have a clear preference for looking after the Herald-Sun if it comes down to a choice. Which, frankly, is understandable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heath's response does kill any notion that The Age have been left out in the cold, as I suggested.

From your own blog -- "When researching details on current issues, best to check with the horse’s mouth before publishing. This is called fact checking." (http://roobeauty.wordpress.com/2009/08/04/journalism-101/)

Why didn't you email Heath to seek clarification before you posted? Or did you just want to put the issue 'out there', chuck in a couple of backhanders ('vindictive' 'in bed with the Hun') and attract traffic to your blog?

Also from your blog (http://roobeauty.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/whats-with-all-the-caro-bashing/) -- "Caro has been copping it from all directions throughout her now substantial career reporting on the AFL. Frankly, I don’t get it, and I’m beginning to get pretty ****ing sick of the personal attacks she cops. The footy media is full of shit journalists, but Caro isn’t one of them................The truth is Caroline Wilson can write, she has good contacts within the AFL, has a nose for a story, isn’t afraid to ask the tough questions and is yet to go to the gutter - all traits of a good, ethical journalist..............Some say she makes shit up under the guise of confident sources, yet they seem to know nothing about the confidentiality issues surrounding journalists’ sources."

Are you related to Caro?

From your own blog -- "When researching details on current issues, best to check with the horse’s mouth before publishing. This is called fact checking." (http://roobeauty.wordpress.com/2009/08/04/journalism-101/)

Why didn't you email Heath to seek clarification before you posted?

I am an amateur blogger, not a professional journalist. I occasionally email NMFC staff on issues (example here). Sometimes I get a response, sometimes I don't - which is understandable. I am realistic about what level of credence the club would give to someone like me who has a very limited reach/audience. I find it a bit rich to expect someone like me to have the contacts, credibility with the club and the time to provide the same level of journalism as a full-time professional working for a major media outlet. And I see no problem with criticizing poor journalism when I see it.

Or did you just want to put the issue 'out there', chuck in a couple of backhanders ('vindictive' 'in bed with the Hun') and attract traffic to your blog?

I'll let other people make up their own mind about whether the article is measured and accurate or not.

Also from your blog (http://roobeauty.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/whats-with-all-the-caro-bashing/) -- "Caro has been copping it from all directions throughout her now substantial career reporting on the AFL. Frankly, I don’t get it, and I’m beginning to get pretty ****ing sick of the personal attacks she cops. The footy media is full of shit journalists, but Caro isn’t one of them................The truth is Caroline Wilson can write, she has good contacts within the AFL, has a nose for a story, isn’t afraid to ask the tough questions and is yet to go to the gutter - all traits of a good, ethical journalist..............Some say she makes shit up under the guise of confident sources, yet they seem to know nothing about the confidentiality issues surrounding journalists’ sources."

Are you related to Caro?

A couple of things:

1. I did a follow up post on the post you quote in response to the criticism I received from it, where I take a less forgiving view:
    But there’s no question Wilson stuffed up. The misleading comments I cite earlier expose her swallowing the AFL’s bait. While they are small oversights they had huge ramifications; too big to ignore.
  2. The post you quote is from more than 12 months ago. I have no problem in admitting that my verdict on Wilson has changed significantly in this period - which has been published a number of times (here, here and here).

I still dont get it, RB can you please explain.

Although rather co-incidentally I am at the zoo today with my wife and daughter.

At the end of the day, if I never read another piece about North by Thammy Lane or Cawo, my world will be brighter and happier and Heath can punt pieces to Jake Niall and Rohan Connolly and Sam Edmunds and Emma Quayle and Chrstine Amanpour and the boys at the Al Jazeera Doha Centre and even dig up ****ing Jonathon Swift himself for all I ****ing care.

If the abundant use of 'weasel words' was a mark of quality journalism, Caro would be the best writer on the planet.

Sadly.....or rather, fortunately....it's not.

The Age could not have met the printing deadline obviously. Nothing stopping online publishing, but they would've looked pretty silly.

In my opinion, it's 6 of one, half-a-dozen of the other. Clearly the Herald-Sun have given North a pretty good run for a while now, and they have substantially higher readership. But it probably wouldn't have hurt anyone to send the press release re: JZ to both publications.

The Hun is for the working class like factory workers, tradies, blue collar workers etc. NM is club for the the ordinary hard yakka aussies not for the posh posh hawthorn or the pretender collingwobles. Right move i say.

The Hun is for the working class like factory workers, tradies, blue collar workers etc. NM is club for the the ordinary hard yakka aussies not for the posh posh hawthorn or the pretender collingwobles. Right move i say.

What a crock of schizen, its 2010 not the 1930s, we are all equal. North is run by a guy from WA, Collingwood by a toff from Toorak in disguise as a boof from Broady ..

Bogans everywhere !!

And this sort of class politics nonsense belongs in the 1870s. NMFC is a club for all.

Remove this Banner Ad

NMFC's Media Strategy: Smart or Vindictive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back