No o'keefe deal done

Remove this Banner Ad

I can only imagine how frustrating it would be for him...something simple made so bloody difficult.

He has avoided showing any disapproval and frustration at the stupidity of this week.... despite the way the media like to invent rubbish and err on the nasty side.

All class. Must have his reasons and they're his business.

Hope he can come to an arrangement with Sydney.... but if its important he needs to go back home then he's earnt the right to have that pathway made easy.

those clubs will now get him for a bargain price if he decides to leave. hooray for them. if he decides to stay, hooray for you. i doubt they were being pig headed and lazy. rat cunning is probably more accurate.

You do realise that he's not available on timeshare?

Only one of those clubs will get him.

Bollox is absolutely right.
ROK would improve any team. Jeez even the premiers think he's fairly handy.

For not one team to offer a pick for ROK (even plus Sydney's pick 12) shows the lack of foresight of Melbourne based teams.

It's all well and good to talk about draft picks and planning for the future, but all clubs are doing that. Here was an opportunity to step away from the norm and improve your team immediately and not one club took it.

So ROK will probably go into the PSD, do some financial engineering on his demands and end up at Carlton.

And every supporter will come on decrying the deal, when their club had an opportunity to make an offer, but rolled over and left an AA standard player get to Carlton for nothing.

Well that would be pointless!

They might as well have given us their first pick (16) to guarantee getting him then.

On SEN tonight it was claimed the Hawks went back to the Swans last night with pick 16 and our third round pick for Okeefe and second round pick, the Swans declined

So i reckon ROK has wanted to get to the Blues all along, Sydney may well have been screwed

On SEN tonight it was claimed the Hawks went back to the Swans last night with pick 16 and our third round pick for Okeefe and second round pick, the Swans declined

So i reckon ROK has wanted to get to the Blues all along, Sydney may well have been screwed

You are just one of about 500 hawthorn supporters who will be trying to justify the stupidity of it all...clinging to media specualtion and attemting to invent and twist any sort of rubbish u hear just to make it look as though it was the other guys fault.

The deal didnt change all week...hawthorn knew what was required, the price, his price, and expressed strong interest. Knowing the price and the likely expenses they even went to Sydney to interview him.

Tyre kicking as an attempt to procure a bargain instead of an exchange. Knowing the price they should have just said NO so that OKeefe wasnt screwed around.

Not interested in excuses for them. Hawthorn fans wanted him...it was a VERY VERY fair price and the club expressed solid interest. No reason given for pulling the deal and screwing him but plenty of EXCUSES being offered.

You people just don't get it. The Hawks never made an offer to Sydney.

The ROK to Hawks deal was a mirage. Most of the stuff written this week was fabricated. Hawks new they couldn't fit him into the TPP, so they didn't take it any further.

Blues were the only team from Day 1 in the hunt.

There will undoubtably be 10 or more little convenient leaks from hawthorn regarding this complete waste of time at a respected players expense.

I'm sure hawthorn fans will cling to the convenient ones.

When it comes time for a hawthorn player to move or be traded...tough luck.

You are just one of about 500 hawthorn supporters who will be trying to justify the stupidity of it all...clinging to media specualtion and attemting to invent and twist any sort of rubbish u hear just to make it look as though it was the other guys fault.

The deal didnt change all week...hawthorn knew what was required, the price, his price, and expressed strong interest. Knowing the price and the likely expenses they even went to Sydney to interview him.

Tyre kicking as an attempt to procure a bargain instead of an exchange. Knowing the price they should have just said NO so that OKeefe wasnt screwed around.

Not interested in excuses for them. Hawthorn fans wanted him...it was a VERY VERY fair price and the club expressed solid interest. No reason given for pulling the deal and screwing him but plenty of EXCUSES being offered.

I see where you're coming from Bollox - but are you happy that ROK is now going to leave Sydney without your club getting ANY compensation? Mate I'd be spewing.

Put it this way - one rumour was that Sydney wanted Jordan Lewis. Say the shoe was on the other foot and Lewis was out of contract and wanted to move out of Melbourne. If the hawks turned down Sydney's 2nd round pick + a player instead of NOTHING I'd be furious at them.

I'm not being a smartarse here, by the way.

Spot on.

"We recognise that Ryan is worth pick 16, but we've made a philosophical decision as a football club that we don't want our first selection in the draft to be pick 34," Hawthorn list and recruitment manager Chris Pelchen said.

=

"He's worth 16 but we're not willing to pay what he's worth."

ROK will be playing at Carlton next year if he doesnt re- sign with Sydney.. Why would an interstate side recruit him and pay him 550k a year if he doesnt want to be there.. Too bigger risk. He wants to come home. We would have the most left in the cap out of the Melbourne teams. On SEN this morning it was reported that Icke or Swan said we had enough room for 3 ROK's. That 600k omment would have already taken into account us getting Warnock. All we have to do is make the first year of his contract high enough that he gets through to us. Im pretty sure even if he nominates for the natonal draft he still has to nominate his price. If thats the case, if we are the only ones who could afford him, we could use pick 90 and still have a pick in the PSD.. But its more likely hewill just nominate for the PSD where we will get him..

All sounds fantastic for the Blues hey?

Guess what? All you have to do now is jump over the Hawks, Cats, Bulldogs, Swans, Pies & any one else that will be serious threats for the 2009 flag. Yes the Swans as well. Roos coaches for p'ships! Not for priority picks. It breeds success. This Carlton team contains too many players that are used to losing.
And you'd better make a fist of it because Judd will be another year older in 2010 & all your young stars will start to think like Rhino more & more with every signature they sign for supporters. They will DEMAND big money starting in 2010 & it will only get worse.

Finishing bottom for 3 or 4 for consecutive years will most certainly deliver to your club a cluster of young stars that will provide you with a window of opportunity for a flag, but with it will come the curse of having a star studded line up for more then 3 years. It happened at West Coast, it will happen at Hawthorn (at least they have their flags) & it will continue to happen.
O'Keefe at Carlton however, will still not give you a defence that can shut down a forward line on fire!!

Good luck with it all. We will watch what happens with interest!

All of the other teams could to if we cheated the salary cap :D

You tosser Essendon also got done for cheating the cap but got a slap on the wrist and every club has done it in past

Also on that great radio station SEN Greg Denham said he had been talking to Greg Swan and Swanny sais that they fit in 3 ROK'S into cap so as Sticks said were Carlton **** THE REST

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You tosser Essendon also got done for cheating the cap but got a slap on the wrist and every club has done it in past

Also on that great radio station SEN Greg Denham said he had been talking to Greg Swan and Swanny sais that they fit in 3 ROK'S into cap so as Sticks said were Carlton **** THE REST

its not so much that you will be exceeding your cap for next year but its more whether you will be willing to pay players like okeefe warnock judd etc what they want and be able to keep the players in the future.

what happens in 2 years when you are still paying those three players plus fev etc big big dollars and murphy, gibbs, kruezer etc want new deals? you will have heaps of other clubs offering 3 times as much as you can pay for them. make no mistake its your kids that are going to make you win a premiership not players like okeefe, although they would contribute. it seems that in enlisting all these big names you are likely to lose the thing that will make you a good side in the first place. just my opinion though

Ratten's reported comment that the Blues never seriously tried to trade for ROK might well infuriate other clubs to make sure they don't get away with it. Every single club has, at some stage, faced losing an out-of-contract player they don't want to lose and very often it is the "go-home" factor at work. When was the last time a club lined up a player of ROK's quality, realistically thinking they could snare him through the PSD and didn't even make a half sensible attempt to trade for him rather than screw over another club? Carlton obviously benefitted from the Stevens situation but I can't recall if Stevens ever expressed enough interest in the Blues to suggest it was worth Port trying to trade him there. The pre-occupation IIRC was the trade with Collingwood.

At least part of the problem is the very structure of the AFL that encourages clubs who don't think they can compete in the following year to be as crap as possible. Whether you label it tanking or not, the inducements to try and be the best you possibly can even if you realistically have no chance at a flag are non-existent. Indeed, crapness continues to be rewarded, not punished.

If draft picks were decoupled from finishing position and/or serious financial inducements were introduced to encourage teams to finish as high as they could, suddenly an extra few clubs who already have such young lists that throwing more kiddies into the mix is meaningless, might rid themselves of the delusion that the aim is to have the youngest list in the comp because that story is an easier sell to fans facing a year of mediocrity from their side than actually trying to entertain them by improving competitiveness.

The big loser out of this may well be O'Keefe - especially if one takes at face value that his prime driver is to get back to Melbourne. I realise that may not be it. And if it is more about money and Williams or Worsfold or Harvey step in to stop him having his cake and eat it, well that's just bad luck!

Before people step in and accuse me of being bitter, don't bother. Maybe I am, though I think it is more disappointment than bitterness. If he genuinely just wanted to go back to Melbourne, I'd have no issue with that. I do have any issue with two clubs seemingly trying to screw another club - yes, in this instant, my club - without any apparent genuine interest in trading fairly.

This whole shomozzle will bring forward free agency for players. How ridiculous a player of O'Keefe's quality be left in limbo. Salary caps are doing enough to limit any one club from soaking up all the best players, so let the draft system die.

Re: O'Keefe to Essendon or Carlton in PSD...

Not sure where your logic is coming from here, Carlton have a list full of kids and with the excpetion of Judd and Fevola who would you suggest would be taking up such great portions of the salary cap?
So Nick Stevens, Jarrad Waite, Heath Scotland and Marc Murphy are on $5 a year?
How could Carlton possibly be under cap pressure with only 2 AA this year? Warnock coming to Carlton for what will most likely be the estimated amount u spoke about being 350k a yr, is quite a non issue as that is what carlton has been paying Hackland, who will be 99% be delisted, since it used the money to entice him from StKilda. Cap issue is clearly not an issue and your comment is quite honestly...wrong
Judd on $6mil for 5 years, Fev on $2mil for 3 years, Warnock either on $1.5mil for 4 years or $1.2mil for 3 years.

So amount per year for those three is:
Fev = $666k per year
Judd = $1.2mil per year
Warnock = $350k per year
So that is $2.21mil for 3 players, and that has to be accomidated for at least the next 3 years.

Now I don't know exactly what the Salary Cap is but I think it is around $8mil(Someone correct me), so that means for 41 other players there is around $6mil at most, that is an average of about $146k per player, right there seems viable, but throw in higher contracts for more valuable players and things become iffy, Waite, Gibbs, Murphy, Scotland, Stevens and soon to be Kruezer will all ask high prices next time contract talks come around, Waite, Scotland and Stevens most likely to be earning at least $350k per year if Warnock is, hell you would expect the whole list to be earning that much with Warnocks resume.

And add O'Keefe who is asking for $600k per year for 3 years and you begin to see my point.

So do you understand now?

Richmond supporters are really obsessed with us!
Juddy not picking them is still hurting. Warnock must be the iceing .. oh well time heals all they say.

So amount per year for those three is:
Fev = $666k per year
Judd = $1.2mil per year
Warnock = $350k per year
So that is $2.21mil for 3 players, and that has to be accomidated for at least the next 3 years.

Now I don't know exactly what the Salary Cap is but I think it is around $8mil(Someone correct me), so that means for 41 other players there is around $6mil at most, that is an average of about $146k per player, right there seems viable, but throw in higher contracts for more valuable players and things become iffy, Waite, Gibbs, Murphy, Scotland, Stevens and soon to be Kruezer will all ask high prices next time contract talks come around, Waite, Scotland and Stevens most likely to be earning at least $350k per year if Warnock is, hell you would expect the whole list to be earning that much with Warnocks resume.

And add O'Keefe who is asking for $600k per year for 3 years and you begin to see my point.

So do you understand now?

Well summarised.

Even if you deflate your figures by 10-20% it's still a horrible payment scheme. Even with front-ended contracts etc it's just no good. Good luck to them if it comes off - but geez, it's just asking for trouble in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

No o'keefe deal done

Remove this Banner Ad

Back