crow87

THE BEAST
Sep 14, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
sfc, AUCC
Could Perries be a blessing in disguise? I hope Perrie recovers very quickly and successfully for his sake and we all know you cant question the effort he puts in but it does give Kenny a good chance to prove he's a better player than Perrie will ever be. Generally I'm a little wary of stats but I think these speak pretty clearly over a large enough sample of games and the same number for each player so no advantages anywhere, here are the cold-hard facts:

Games when Pez played – 42 (excluding Sunday seeing as he got hurt). Average score by Adelaide: 91 points
Games when Pez missed – 16. Average score by Adelaide: 108 points

Games when Kenny played: 43. Average score by Adelaide: 100 points
Games when Kenny missed: 16. Average score by Adelaide: 86 points

We constantly hear how Perrie contributes to the team and how individual goals are not the most important thing, but the stats above are the team scores.

*Braces self for battering* This is not an attack on Perrie, simply stating the facts.

interesting stuff.
cannot believe the rotten luck that mcgregor has had. he has done nothing wrong, and has long served the club, yet still he gets overlooked. he's probably the best mark in our team contested, and he's not half bad to throw down back either. just amazes me what has happened to him. BRING BACK KENNY!!

would like a time period here?

style counts more than the impact of a solitary player, and are these games under the same matchday regime?

Hey - don't try to make this too complex. Stats are only fun if they're really easy to understand ...

Crows down by 5 points...Kenny to mark just inside 50... siren to go....goes back and kicks....... a point...doh.

But Geelong is then penalised for having 3 players on each other shoulders standing the mark and points are awarded to the Crows :)

Bring back Kenny.

Be good to see Kenny back. He certainly deserves a crack at it. Wouldn't read a hell of a lot into those stats though. I do see Perrie as very important to our forward structure but having said that I also think Ken should be in the side. I always thought Scott Stevens should go out but he continues to perform and has proved he can't be dropped. Will be interesting to see what Ken does with his opportunity (if he gets it), but i truly hope he plays like he can and like someone who is desperate for a spot in the side.

Could Perries be a blessing in disguise? I hope Perrie recovers very quickly and successfully for his sake and we all know you cant question the effort he puts in but it does give Kenny a good chance to prove he's a better player than Perrie will ever be. Generally I'm a little wary of stats but I think these speak pretty clearly over a large enough sample of games and the same number for each player so no advantages anywhere, here are the cold-hard facts:

Games when Pez played – 42 (excluding Sunday seeing as he got hurt). Average score by Adelaide: 91 points
Games when Pez missed – 16. Average score by Adelaide: 108 points

Games when Kenny played: 43. Average score by Adelaide: 100 points
Games when Kenny missed: 16. Average score by Adelaide: 86 points

We constantly hear how Perrie contributes to the team and how individual goals are not the most important thing, but the stats above are the team scores.

*Braces self for battering* This is not an attack on Perrie, simply stating the facts.

Gee, I could never see a post like this coming... :rolleyes:

In all honesty, stats like this are about as worthless as a dead rat in a tampon factory. It doesn't take into account who the forwards were in the team during their absences, the quality of the opposition during those games, number of entries into the forward 50, etc, etc.

That said, I'm looking forward to see how the forwards go without Sarge, and it gives Bock, Stevens, Welsh, Roo & whoever else comes in a real opportunity to step up.

It's interesting to read Rooch saying that Kenny's an automatic selection with the injury and people thinking likewise, but I wouldn't be surprised if Massie, Jericho, or even Vince gets a go ahead of him. A lot will depend on the forward structure and match ups anticipated by the coaching panel, and I wouldn't be surprised if they go for a smaller forward line to try and beat Scarlett & co for speed & space. We'll find out soon enough anyway.

If Kenny is selected it will be on merit and what he can contribute to the forward structure, and if that's the case I'd like to see him succeed and hold his spot. If he doesn't get picked this week I don't think it signals the end of his career with the AFC either - it just means he has to find better form or wait for the right opportunity to come up.

...That said, I'm looking forward to see how the forwards go without Sarge, and it gives Bock, Stevens, Welsh, Roo & whoever else comes in a real opportunity to step up.

It's interesting to read Rooch saying that Kenny's an automatic selection with the injury and people thinking likewise, but I wouldn't be surprised if Massie, Jericho, or even Vince gets a go ahead of him. A lot will depend on the forward structure and match ups anticipated by the coaching panel, and I wouldn't be surprised if they go for a smaller forward line to try and beat Scarlett & co for speed & space. We'll find out soon enough anyway....
The reason for this thinking is that Craigy has always insisted on a particular structure, 1 tall strong body to contest the mark deep in the fwd line. Now they can get around this by possibly having a ruckman there, but generally no one part from Kenny really suits the role.

I hope Kenny does play, I have missed the look of panic in his eyes.

Scarlett I think would start of Welsh?

In all honesty, stats like this are about as worthless as a dead rat in a tampon factory. It doesn't take into account who the forwards were in the team during their absences, the quality of the opposition during those games, number of entries into the forward 50, etc, etc.
In all honesty? :cool: Anyway. What do you mean stats like this? Which particular stats are useful then? I dont care for stats too much myself (outside of Dream Team) but I would say that if any count for anything at all then it would be the scoreline! How do you win a game of Footy? Somebody suggested Style? As for saying who else was in the team, the stats are over a large enough sample of games to argue that. Analogy was worth a laugh though ;) nice one :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

interesting stuff.
cannot believe the rotten luck that mcgregor has had. he has done nothing wrong, and has long served the club, yet still he gets overlooked. he's probably the best mark in our team contested, and he's not half bad to throw down back either. just amazes me what has happened to him. BRING BACK KENNY!!

I'm sick of hearing how hard done by Kenny is. His form for the past 2 years has been ordinary at best. His 2005/06 form was way below his pre 2005 form.

Also, he rivalled "Laydown Sally" in the number of times he would go to ground in the heat of battle.

I'm sick of hearing how hard done by Kenny is. His form for the past 2 years has been ordinary at best. His 2005/06 form was way below his pre 2005 form.

Also, he rivalled "Laydown Sally" in the number of times he would go to ground in the heat of battle.

In 2005 Kenny set career highs for marks, disposals, goals (31) and tackles and kicked 9 goals in 3 finals (and was clearly our best forward for the finals series), after playing as a defender till Round 9. How that's way below pre-2005 is beyond me.

In 2006 he clearly struggled physically, but like Burton till a few weeks ago was forced to play week in week out because Welsh, Perrie and Bock were filling the physio's room and we didn't have a tall option left.

On your second point, it's not like Pez is exactly McLeod-esque in his ability to stay on his feet in a contest.

There is no upside to Perrie's injury whatsoever.......McGregor cannot cover half the ground that Perrie does

Is that a bad thing though?

I don't care if Kenny doesn't cover the ground, I'd rather he stayed in the forward 50 and actually took a few contested grabs.

Crow-Mo - why are the stats invalid?

rivalled "Laydown Sally" in the number of times he would go to ground in the heat of battle.
What's her number ?

We're being killed with contested marks inside 50, so let's see if Ken can be the goods to offset comparatively limited mobility.

It'd also help if there were other method beside bomb it in big... like middies getting a bit closer and having a kick like we used to. I still wonder at that, is it a strategy to unleash our best plays when it counts - at the end of the year ?

Crow-Mo - why are the stats invalid?

you seem to be saying a metric, with no supporting background information is valid. you don't even know what that metric really is, let alone saying what is right (or wrong) with it.

and that's without going into how there is zero evidence of a correlation...

What's her number ?

We're being killed with contested marks inside 50, so let's see if Ken can be the goods to offset comparatively limited mobility.

It'd also help if there were other method beside bomb it in big... like middies getting a bit closer and having a kick like we used to. I still wonder at that, is it a strategy to unleash our best plays when it counts - at the end of the year ?
I don't think Ken's really that limited in his mobility. Just that Perrie is not good enough to play closer to goals and so to his credit takes the initiative and roams around to help the team in the best way he can. Kenny can also do it if needed.

As for lay-down sally (lets talk about Welsh), at least K-mac's gonna be able to keep the ball in a bit more than the Perrie, as soon as the ball hits the deck its gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

No-one likes to see injuries but...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back