Noah Balta - Does he have the AFL's rarest skill set?

Remove this Banner Ad

Which club went down that road exactly?
Pushing out most of their mature players to focus on youth? North are the most obvious example.

Slash & burn doesn't work, because no A-graders are going to want to move to your club. because any chance of success is too far away, so you end up over-relying on on the kids before they're ready, then are stuck trying to bring in middling talent.

I'd say 5 years is probably the maximum a player should be considering, unless they have a career start like Daicos and sign through to FA.

Sure, players want security but anything more than 5 is irresponsible, IMO.

Yep, brilliant. In a planet where Battle and Perryman are getting 6 year deals on $900k+ BZP is going to tell all his premium players you can't have a deal longer than 5 years unless you are squib Daicos.

Cue mass exodus.

I've got news for you BZP. If Noah Balta was at Eagles, he would be getting contracted until 32 years of age, just like is happening at Richmond.

Pushing out most of their mature players to focus on youth? North are the most obvious example.

Slash & burn doesn't work, because no A-graders are going to want to move to your club. because any chance of success is too far away, so you end up over-relying on on the kids before they're ready, then are stuck trying to bring in middling talent.

Geelong built a dynasty essentially from high draft picks.

Hawthorn built a dynasty from high draft picks.

Richmond built a dynasty from high draft picks.

Melbourne had a cleanout and won a flag 7-8 years later.

Richmond are letting 4 players in the 25-27yo range go. They will retain 8 Premiership players on their list. And Taranto, Hopper, Miller, Ross, Mansell, Rioli Jnr who are already established within the team. Plus 5 x top 30 draft picks from 2021. Plus a player like Campbell who seems to have found a place for himself in the team.

This is not North melbourne because North Melbourne didn't have players to sell to net them 6 or more rd 1 draft picks in a strong draft.

It is unprecedented. So you will just have to wait 4-5 years and see how the Tigers new draftees are progressing. Along with likely 2-3 decent free agents and some decent trades the club is likely to secure over the next 3-4 years.

Gee, clubs really are getting dumber.

You literally have the Clayton Oliver situation right there(+ previous issues with Brodie Grundy, Adam Treloar, etc) and Richmond go and do this.

So, so dumb.

I can't imagine anyone else was offering him a similar contract they had to match to keep him.
The problem is the landscape of the AFL right now, everyone is getting 6-7 year deals, if Richmond didn't do it someone else would have. I totally agree though... it's getting ridiculous.

If it's seven years at $1,000,000 then yes, I agree it's stupid.
If it's seven years at $500,000 then I think most footy followers would think that is good business.

Probably lies somewhere in-between.

Wonder if it is indexed to increases in TPP. $700,000 might seem cheap in the 2031/32.

The problem is the landscape of the AFL right now, everyone is getting 6-7 year deals, if Richmond didn't do it someone else would have. I totally agree though... it's getting ridiculous.
No they wouldn't.

Tom Lynch getting paid $1.5m next year and can't even get on the park 'working out' for you? Yes, helped with the 2 flags but now you're stuck paying a bloke who will barely play and you can't even trade him out.
I'd trade back the 2 flags if it meant we had another million in cap space next year for sure, good take.

Wow at that contract! He genuinely has always reminded me of Ratogulea. Great frame, athleticism but you just are always thinking imagine if he new what to do how good he could be!

Remove this Banner Ad

Noah Balta - Does he have the AFL's rarest skill set?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back