No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do watch Gardner and our defense. There's very little "elite" about how they defend the ball in the air coming inside 50.
The bloke is literally an elite spoiler he averages over 8 a game and when he spoils it clears the contest. 3 years ago I agree he was dreadful nowadays however couldn't disagree more and again this looks like a bag Gardner because its easier then admitting he's improved a lot

Matthew Lloyd criticising Darcy Gardiner for directing his punches to the corridor inside defensive 50 instead of the boundary line.

Try watching our Gardner and his backline teammates Lloydo.

They will jump 3 men to a single marking contest, smash into each other, attempt to punch the ball, miss it entirely, and concede a walk-in joe the goose from a regulation inside 50.
We concede our fair share of Joe the Goose goals but I feel like they all occur because we have pressed up way too far and a kick into the corridor cuts us wide open.

The bloke is literally an elite spoiler he averages over 8 a game and when he spoils it clears the contest. 3 years ago I agree he was dreadful nowadays however couldn't disagree more and again this looks like a bag Gardner because its easier then admitting he's improved a lot
The original post doesn't just bag him as the only issue, it's the entire defense. But yes he noticeably still makes very poor errors in the air and just in general gamesense, positioning and is a weak one on one defender against key forwards his size.

Liam Jones could have also been judged as "elite" in some defensive areas for Carlton too, but I thought he was an exceptionally poor defender aswell. He generally conceded a lot of goals to his opponents, and his positioning/IQ/1 on 1 work was poor. Commentary teams and pundits lauded him for papering over his deficiencies with some intercept marking. I feel it's the same on here with Gardner's spoil count.

For those needing a reminder that our clubs predicament could be far, far worse, I highly recommend the Bombers thread discussing the potential new coach.

Given the club has painted itself into a corner saying they must have senior experience, some of the names and reasoning are very funny.

James Hird, Kevin Sheedy, Brad Scott, Don Pyke, Ross Lyon, Grant Thomas, Danni Laidley, Ted Lasso, Craig Bellamy.

Gold

For those needing a reminder that our clubs predicament could be far, far worse, I highly recommend the Bombers thread discussing the potential new coach.

Given the club has painted itself into a corner saying they must have senior experience, some of the names and reasoning are very funny.

James Hird, Kevin Sheedy, Brad Scott, Don Pyke, Ross Lyon, Grant Thomas, Danni Laidley, Ted Lasso, Craig Bellamy.

Gold

Surely Brendan Macartney is on that list? Even Rocket and Rohde?! :laughing:

I do watch Gardner and our defense. There's very little "elite" about how they defend the ball in the air coming inside 50.
I don’t know wtf actually goes on at training, by the looks of things on the field it must be 3hr long sessions of markers up and maybe some circle work handballing for the mids.

It just blows my mind how poor we are aerially at both ends. Without fail every high ball inside def 50 it’s 5 blokes flying for the same ball, no one putting body on their direct opponent to keep them out of the contest. Not even the most fundamentally simple concepts like keeping a sweeper staying down out the back or having someone front and centre, nope every man and his dog fly for the ball and see what happens.

Then down the other end it’s the same thing, every player including our small forwards ffs dragging their defenders to the drop zone and all trying to take mark of the year. **** me, somebody put some blocks on sacrifice their own game for once. If your teammate has the mismatch drag your opponent out of the drop zone. Simple.

And then our smalls. Get front and centre!!!! It’s really ****ing amateurs level stuff.

How can this not be addressed? if we’re being coached todo this and the players aren’t doing it I don’t care if you’re Naughty, Jamarra or Cody, spend a week in the 2s and learn to follow instructions. If we’re not being coached to do this then…

I don’t know wtf actually goes on at training, by the looks of things on the field it must be 3hr long sessions of markers up and maybe some circle work handballing for the mids.

It just blows my mind how poor we are aerially at both ends. Without fail every high ball inside def 50 it’s 5 blokes flying for the same ball, no one putting body on their direct opponent to keep them out of the contest. Not even the most fundamentally simple concepts like keeping a sweeper staying down out the back or having someone front and centre, nope every man and his dog fly for the ball and see what happens.

And then our smalls. Get front and centre!!!! It’s really ******* amateurs level stuff.

How can this not be addressed? if we’re being coached todo this and the players aren’t doing it I don’t care if you’re Naughty, Jamarra or Cody, spend a week in the 2s and learn to follow instructions. If we’re not being coached to do this then…

Its almost comical how often our defenders hurt themselves by crashing into each other in marking contests this year.

Id laugh if it didnt annoy me so much.

Matthew Lloyd criticising Darcy Gardiner for directing his punches to the corridor inside defensive 50 instead of the boundary line.

Try watching our Gardner and his backline teammates Lloydo.

They will jump 3 men to a single marking contest, smash into each other, attempt to punch the ball, miss it entirely, and concede a walk-in joe the goose from a regulation inside 50.
Yes to this….. it happens all the time. An ill directed punch is just a killer and our defenders do it constantly. Ed Richards has been not too bad at it and has made some great spoils, but boy the others, I’m constantly like 🤦🏼‍♂️🤬

Last edited:

Then down the other end it’s the same thing, every player including our small forwards ffs dragging their defenders to the drop zone and all trying to take mark of the year. * me, somebody put some blocks on sacrifice their own game for once. If your teammate has the mismatch drag your opponent out of the drop zone. Simple.

And then our smalls. Get front and centre!!!! It’s really ******* amateurs level stuff.

Couldn’t agree more….. great post.

When do you ever see Kozzie Picket flying for pack marks? He is always front and centre or drifting over the back depending on how he judges the ball flight. Too often our guys all fly against each other with no one waiting for the crumb. And similarly in the backline, everyone up for the spoil and no one down to then clear it.

Couldn’t agree more….. great post.

When do you ever see Kozzie Picket flying for pack marks? He is always front and centre or drifting over the back depending on how he judges the ball flight. Too often our guys all fly against each other with no one waiting for the crumb. And similarly in the backline, everyone up for the spoil and no one down to then clear it.
The thing is Cody is nimble enough and has enough smarts mixed with a bag of tricks to be super effective doing this too. Yes sit on Max Gawn's head occasionally on the wing but let the big boys do that inside 50.

The thing is Cody is nimble enough and has enough smarts mixed with a bag of tricks to be super effective doing this too. Yes sit on Max Gawn's head occasionally on the wing but let the big boys do that inside 50.
This. Last thing I want to do is stifle Cody’s game - his marking is one of his major strengths. More than happy to play him one out from time to time to change things up and if it’s the best option at the time sure have a crack. But for the most part we just can’t have him flying at everything when we’ve got Naughty, Marra & possibly Darcy doing just that

I don’t care what the stats say about Gardiner and his spoils. A bloke of his size should be marking the ball. And for three good spoils there’s one sheizenhauden limp bat tennis lob straight to the opposition.

And our defence doesn’t get caught out because we press far up the paddock. They get caught out because they can’t defend. The joe the goose out the back often happens when as others have said they all fly for the same ball & knock each other over. One of the most basic rules of footy - when you’re on the turf you’re out of the game.

Then down the other end it’s the same thing, every player including our small forwards ffs dragging their defenders to the drop zone and all trying to take mark of the year. * me, somebody put some blocks on sacrifice their own game for once. If your teammate has the mismatch drag your opponent out of the drop zone. Simple.

Totally agree. I don’t think it was a concern last year but certainly is this year. It tends to show up when we’re in “young and transitioning mode” with Bev which I’m sure you’d agree has been too much of the last few years. Really hope the fullness of next year sorts it out because if it doesn’t…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its almost comical how often our defenders hurt themselves by crashing into each other in marking contests this year.

Id laugh if it didnt annoy me so much.

I suspect it’s because our small defenders are under instructions to impact marking contests to mitigate how weak our talls are at defending high balls and, in particular, intercepting, along with not having a genuine medium defender. Richards has essentially taken over Easton’s role.

Gardner has become relatively proficient at aerial intercepting (38 IMs), but Cordy is still laughably poor. To illustrate, Cordy averages 0.2 intercept marks on the season, the same as Jack Macrae. Darcy has helped a lot, averaging a team high 2.7 per game since coming in, our next best being O’Brien on 2.3 and Keath on 2.1, who aren’t in the team.

I suspect it’s because our small defenders are under instructions to impact marking contests to mitigate how weak our talls are at defending high balls and, in particular, intercepting, along with not having a genuine medium defender. Richards has essentially taken over Easton’s role.

Gardner has become relatively proficient at aerial intercepting (38 IMs), but Cordy is still laughably poor. To illustrate, Cordy averages 0.2 intercept marks on the season, the same as Jack Macrae. Darcy has helped a lot, averaging a team high 2.7 per game since coming in, our next best being O’Brien on 2.3 and Keath on 2.1, who aren’t in the team.
Zone defence encourages defenders to intervene. Cordy's skills are lock down / negation rather than intercept. If our defence was one-on-one, he'd be a poor man's Stephen Silvagni, all arms and body over his opponent. Perhaps we don't do zone very well. Good post.

Good Morning, XBX

Consider meself slapped down. If you consider running for Moderator, you have my vote.
Usually I wouldn't care, but with everything going on at Essendon, I thought I'd come into this thread for a bit of a laugh. I was disappointed to see no Essendon talk today. So much so that I have now ventured across to the Bombers board.

Usually I wouldn't care, but with everything going on at Essendon, I thought I'd come into this thread for a bit of a laugh. I was disappointed to see no Essendon talk today. So much so that I have now ventured across to the Bombers board.
I get the juxtaposition between Laugh and Essendon Football Club. Have fun, there's nothing as satisfying as a good gloat.

Having a quick look at ladders I had to go back to 98 to find lower (Melbourne, 102.6%)

Their percentages were screwed by losing to West Coast and then only just beating North while every other team filled their boots against those two
Ours was 101.8% in 1997.
Yep. In going back year by year, noticed a strange fact: in 2005 three finalists finished below 100%, but we missed out with just over 100% :(

How Dodoro has survived the latest Bomber purge is astounding.

List management is a long term team building project. The list is in poor shape and has been for years…. No coach can mask multiple list management failures.
Mind boggling.

Dodoro took over the list in 1998, when it was the envy of the league.

In 1999, 2000 & 2001 they finished minor premiers and were the most dominant of premiers in 2000.

How he's turned that list steadily downwards (admittedly other issues haven't helped) to no final wins in 18 years and survived (even prospered) beggars belief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back