Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Who will win a final first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another good, direct and hard hitting article in The Age from Kane. Oliver mentioned

Melbourne has created its own demons – and now it is to enter football’s version of hell.

A drought-breaking premiership has been followed by consecutive straight-set exits from finals and now no finals action at all.

The slide points to a bleak future at Melbourne.

The player list is ageing and lacking depth. For all the denials, the club’s culture is questionable, as is the professionalism of a team that only three seasons ago appeared on the verge of a dynasty.

Coach Simon Goodwin’s game style has become predictable and boring.

“Contest and defence” are his repetitive catchcries, but he has been unable to fix the glaring issues on ball movement and scoring that have been so obvious in the past three seasons.

Melbourne needs to confront the reality that it is about to fall off the cliff and become irrelevant in the premiership race.

Just a little more than 16,000 fans turned up to see the Demons lose to the Giants by four points in round 20. The AFL will surely downgrade the Demons when it releases the fixture for next year, gone will be the primetime slots, meaning the crowds will only get smaller.

Goodwin is not the only one to blame for the failure to maximise a once-powerful list. A series of questionable list-management decisions have left the club in a hole.

1. Clayton Oliver’s contract.

Melbourne in 2022 – a year before Clayton Oliver fell out of contract – extended the troubled midfielder’s contract until the end of 2030.

Since signing the new deal, with his financial future guaranteed, Oliver has been nothing but a distraction. Last season was tumultuous; he managed only 15 games, missing 10 with a hamstring injury and a serious foot infection.

His altercation with the club’s head of strength and conditioning, Selwyn Griffith, created unwanted headlines.

The Demons had to deny they put Oliver up for trade at the end of 2023, but they did demand he meet their expected standards.

His hospital visit with an unexplained medical episode in October and departure from a pre-season training camp in December only fuelled concerns.

Despite the interrupted pre-season, Oliver surprised many by lining up in the opening round against Sydney, and has played 20 games this year.

However, he is a shadow of his best, and his performance has declined in every key midfield statistic.

The decision to lock him into a long-term deal now was a significant error that will chew up the club’s salary cap and heap pain for years to come.

2. Trading Brodie Grundy​

Trading dual All-Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy to premiership contender Sydney for a mere pick No.46 and a future second-round selection was another glaring error.

It was a gift for the ladder-leading Swans.

Etc

Kane Cornes is kidding himself if he thinks the Clayton Oliver contract wasn't a good idea at the time.

Clubs should always sign up players who are among the elite in the game to long term deals.

Shit happens, things go wrong, bad luck. I'd be furious if we had a top 5 mid, a 3xAA and current AA player, and didn't attempt to keep him at the club long term

The deal is only questionable in hindsight, there is no way anyone going back to 2022 would have said it was a poor decision

Kane Cornes is kidding himself if he thinks the Clayton Oliver contract wasn't a good idea at the time.

Clubs should always sign up players who are among the elite in the game to long term deals.

Shit happens, things go wrong, bad luck. I'd be furious if we had a top 5 mid, a 3xAA and current AA player, and didn't attempt to keep him at the club long term

The deal is only questionable in hindsight, there is no way anyone going back to 2022 would have said it was a poor decision
Agree overall with concept but the obvious question involves him specifically and the serious issues that have come to light in the last 12-18 mths. If there was any INKLING of drug issues, serious “complex” mental health issues or other bad behaviours (kicking walls in, bending windscreen wipers at training) then I think it is reasonable to question giving him a 7 year extension- a year in advance - at 1m plus

Clearly we will likely never know

The big fish jumped right into the boat
Friends Mar GIF by DevX Art

Frustratingly inconsistent player with no winner attitude gets turfed out of his loser club by the 3 time premiership coach they’ve employed to break the cycle.

Crows: where do we sign?

Maybe there’s a reason Hardwick doesn’t like him.
Agree, he loved the gold coast when he could swan about with no accountability and play every week, as soon as a tough Premiership coach arrives and said hey I need consistent effort, he's thinking about leaving and going to checks notes a bottom 4 club

Frustratingly inconsistent player with no winner attitude gets turfed out of his loser club by the 3 time premiership coach they’ve employed to break the cycle.

Not sure why Hardwick played him back when he had a good season as a forward last year and then later played him forward again?

Agreed.

A player Hardwick doesn't want is a massive red flag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a load of crap. So 7/8 could potentially give up home ground advantage if a State Govt bids on it. So not only do 9/10 teams get a chance they don’t deserve, they could host the games. ****ing afl money hungry ****wits

Oh just what we want, more games at the G.

You know that is what will end up happening.

Fair. WeeBlake brings up some good points too.

But in truth Dusty's finals performances are a close 2nd to his 3 Norm Smiths. For me there has been no greater player in Finals in the history of the AFL.

There was a clip on AFL360 regarding Dusty’s player rating in the finals - literally off the charts - Rated 1 in the GFs (obviously) and also in a number of finals.

May have paid less games than Pendlebury but if you had the choice of player on GF day, it would be Dusty all the way. He literally won the 2020 GF off his own boot.

Agree, he loved the gold coast when he could swan about with no accountability and play every week, as soon as a tough Premiership coach arrives and said hey I need consistent effort, he's thinking about leaving and going to checks notes a bottom 4 club
Maybe a bit of tough love and exposure here might toughen him up

The thing that makes it strange is the absence of any 'divisions', meaning that the wild cards aren't challenging 'winners'. I see it more as a statement that the top six have 'earned' finals, 7th and 8th are lucky to be there, and therefore that in an extended finals they have to fight for the right.

I don't really feel any sense of injustice for teams that really aren't that good.

Every year in the NFL there's a similar debate about higher ranked wild card teams travelling to divisional winners, and the answer imo is 'well win your division, why feel bad for losers?'.

I'm not sure I feel strongly about it. Strategically, is the shift actually in our interest?

The event that ought be rotational / bid on is the grand final.
It just adds an extra "round" of Footy to extend the season by a week.

With the Opening Round, GatherRound and Wild Card Round the AFL extend the season by 3 weeks.

Probably a request by the Media Rights owners.

The AFL is a theatre league. The actual substance of the sport is irrelevant.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back