Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Who will win a final first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANB screams one of port's missing pieces

Could well be, would of been a good replacement for Boak but he is playing on.

I still don't see how Houston is worth pick 6 let alone some of the suggestions that they will get Luko and pick 6 for Houston or ANB and pick 6 for Houston.

I rate Houston highly but to give up pick 6 you want a player who you can build your team around. That role is relatively easy to fill compared to a key forward for example or an absolute gun midfielder.

Crows have won something this year - best free kick differential

Vocal footy fans are influencing matches with an umpiring analysis revealing clubs playing in front of partisan home crowds are more than 100 free kicks better off this season.
Collingwood coach Craig McRae’s declaration that Dan McStay “would’ve been paid (a 50m penalty) at the MCG” on Friday night sparked intrigue over whether clubs travelling interstate get a raw deal.

McRae doubled-down this week saying “it was real” – and the data backs up the premiership coach.

Adelaide has been gifted the best run in front of their home fans when compared to their free kick tallies on the road.

The Crows have won the overall tally by 13 when clubs travel to Adelaide Oval to face them. They have lost the count by 29 on the road – an overall difference of +42.

Former Crows coach Neil Craig dubbed their supporters “the 19th man” in 2008. Privately, some umpires call it the “roar factor” and concede that parochial fans do impact their decision-making on a subconscious level.

On current ladder positions non-Victorian clubs would host all four finals in week one and potentially all eight finals until the premiership decider at the MCG.

It could be just the fourth time in 61 years that none of Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon or Richmond feature in September.

Finals-bound clubs Fremantle (+17) and Sydney (+13) came out strongly.

FREE KICK BREAKDOWN​

TEAMHOME CROWD FREESAWAY CROWD FREESDIFFERENCE
Adelaide+13-29+42
Brisbane+20+24-4
Carlton+5+11-6
Collingwood+5+7-2
Essendon+12+9+3
Fremantle+18+1+17
Geelong0-32+32
Gold Coast+46+18+28
GWS-51-6-45
Hawthorn-2-11+9
Melbourne-10-15+5
North Melbourne+14+3+11
Port Adelaide-1-8+7
Richmond16-37+21
St Kilda -9+5-14
Sydney+18+5+13
West Coast+14 -8+22
Western Bulldogs -20+8-28
* Home crowd defined as hosting an interstate club or Geelong’s home games at GMHBA Stadium

In a season of tight margins crowd noise could prove decisive in the race for the premiership.

The analysis excluded all neutral matches, only focusing on clubs hosting matches from interstate or in Geelong’s case all of its games at GMHBA Stadium.

The Cats have broken even for free kicks down the highway, but lost the count by 32 when playing outside of Victoria.

That has delivered them a +32 free kick swing when playing in front of their local crowd.

The biggest outlier was Greater Western Sydney, which has lost the free kick count by 51 at home and by only six when travelling.

But the Giants also average the fewest fans at their matches (12,422). Melbourne president Kate Roffey also suggested the effect was real when she urged Demons members to replicate the Collingwood Army.

BIGGEST WINNERS​

Adelaide +42
Geelong +32
Gold Coast +28
West Coast +22
Richmond +21
Fremantle +17
Sydney +13

“We’re on a mission to actually be louder and more obnoxious,” Roffey said.

“We need to be better at supporting our players and getting those umpire whistles to go our way.”

In 2017 former St Kilda coach Alan Richardson dubbed the effect the “noise of affirmation” after the Saints lost the count 8-23 against the Eagles in Perth.

“Our game is very grey, particularly from an umpiring perspective … with issues like holding the ball.

“You go in there (asking yourself) did he duck? Did he have prior opportunity? Did he dispose of the ball correctly? The umpire has to weigh all this up.

“And then there’s this incredible noise that potentially gives the umpire some form of affirmation. Or if you’re an opposition player there is no noise, there is no affirmation that the umpire is receiving.

“My experience is the no calls that are the bigger issue. I got really frustrated on the weekend and it’s the non-calls. That’s the point I’m trying to make about this ‘noise’, the influence it has on the umpires.”

Geelong coach Chris Scott said back then that the Eagles had perennially got a golden run at home.

“It’s not just one or two years. It’s over a long period of time,” Scott said.

“And I think the umpires, to their credit, when you make that point, they agree with you.

“Maybe they haven’t publicly and … I might be stretching it, but my understanding is that when there’s a big crowd reaction, it’s human nature for you to respond and I think that they acknowledge it’s real.

“It’s not conscious but it might be a subconscious reaction.”

Vocal footy fans are influencing matches with an umpiring analysis revealing clubs playing in front of partisan home crowds are more than 100 free kicks better off this season.
Collingwood coach Craig McRae’s declaration that Dan McStay “would’ve been paid (a 50m penalty) at the MCG” on Friday night sparked intrigue over whether clubs travelling interstate get a raw deal.

McRae doubled-down this week saying “it was real” – and the data backs up the premiership coach.

Adelaide has been gifted the best run in front of their home fans when compared to their free kick tallies on the road.

The Crows have won the overall tally by 13 when clubs travel to Adelaide Oval to face them. They have lost the count by 29 on the road – an overall difference of +42.

Former Crows coach Neil Craig dubbed their supporters “the 19th man” in 2008. Privately, some umpires call it the “roar factor” and concede that parochial fans do impact their decision-making on a subconscious level.

On current ladder positions non-Victorian clubs would host all four finals in week one and potentially all eight finals until the premiership decider at the MCG.

It could be just the fourth time in 61 years that none of Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon or Richmond feature in September.

FREE KICK BREAKDOWN​

Adelaide+13-29+42
Brisbane+20+24-4
Carlton+5+11-6
Collingwood+5+7-2
Essendon+12+9+3
Fremantle+18+1+17
Geelong0-32+32
Gold Coast+46+18+28
GWS-51-6-45
Hawthorn-2-11+9
Melbourne-10-15+5
North Melbourne+14+3+11
Port Adelaide-1-8+7
Richmond16-37+21
St Kilda-9+5-14
Sydney+18+5+13
West Coast+14-8+22
Western Bulldogs-20+8-28
* Home crowd defined as hosting an interstate club or Geelong’s home games at GMHBA Stadium

In a season of tight margins crowd noise could prove decisive in the race for the premiership.

The analysis excluded all neutral matches, only focusing on clubs hosting matches from interstate or in Geelong’s case all of its games at GMHBA Stadium.

The Cats have broken even for free kicks down the highway, but lost the count by 32 when playing outside of Victoria.

That has delivered them a +32 free kick swing when playing in front of their local crowd.

The biggest outlier was Greater Western Sydney, which has lost the free kick count by 51 at home and by only six when travelling.

But the Giants also average the fewest fans at their matches (12,422). Melbourne president Kate Roffey also suggested the effect was real when she urged Demons members to replicate the Collingwood Army.

BIGGEST WINNERS​

Adelaide +42
Geelong +32
Gold Coast +28
West Coast +22
Richmond +21
Fremantle +17
Sydney +13

“We need to be better at supporting our players and getting those umpire whistles to go our way.”

In 2017 former St Kilda coach Alan Richardson dubbed the effect the “noise of affirmation” after the Saints lost the count 8-23 against the Eagles in Perth.

“Our game is very grey, particularly from an umpiring perspective … with issues like holding the ball.

“You go in there (asking yourself) did he duck? Did he have prior opportunity? Did he dispose of the ball correctly? The umpire has to weigh all this up.

“And then there’s this incredible noise that potentially gives the umpire some form of affirmation. Or if you’re an opposition player there is no noise, there is no affirmation that the umpire is receiving.

“My experience is the no calls that are the bigger issue. I got really frustrated on the weekend and it’s the non-calls. That’s the point I’m trying to make about this ‘noise’, the influence it has on the umpires.”

Geelong coach Chris Scott said back then that the Eagles had perennially got a golden run at home.

“And I think the umpires, to their credit, when you make that point, they agree with you.

“Maybe they haven’t publicly and … I might be stretching it, but my understanding is that when there’s a big crowd reaction, it’s human nature for you to respond and I think that they acknowledge it’s real.

Ridiculous "analysis". All it proves is that the Crows are mightily hard done by when playing away.

FREE KICK BREAKDOWN​

Adelaide+13-29+42
Brisbane+20+24-4
Carlton+5+11-6
Collingwood+5+7-2
Essendon+12+9+3
Fremantle+18+1+17
Geelong0-32+32
Gold Coast+46+18+28
GWS-51-6-45
Hawthorn-2-11+9
Melbourne-10-15+5
North Melbourne+14+3+11
Port Adelaide-1-8+7
Richmond16-37+21
St Kilda-9+5-14
Sydney+18+5+13
West Coast+14-8+22
Western Bulldogs-20+8-28

BIGGEST WINNERS​

Adelaide +42
Geelong +32
Gold Coast +28
West Coast +22
Richmond +21
Fremantle +17
Sydney +13

So the data shows we get ****ed the third hardest when playing away

And have the 7th best differential at home

FREE KICK BREAKDOWN​

Adelaide+13-29+42
Brisbane+20+24-4
Carlton+5+11-6
Collingwood+5+7-2
Essendon+12+9+3
Fremantle+18+1+17
Geelong0-32+32
Gold Coast+46+18+28
GWS-51-6-45
Hawthorn-2-11+9
Melbourne-10-15+5
North Melbourne+14+3+11
Port Adelaide-1-8+7
Richmond16-37+21
St Kilda-9+5-14
Sydney+18+5+13
West Coast+14-8+22
Western Bulldogs-20+8-28

BIGGEST WINNERS​

Adelaide +42
Geelong +32
Gold Coast +28
West Coast +22
Richmond +21
Fremantle +17
Sydney +13

What a bizarre article... Our free kick differential at home is 7th best (i.e. mid table) and our free kick differential away is one of the worst in the league...

What the author of the article is using is a differential between two differentials to somehow suggest we're the team that benefits here? By having the most free kicks paid against us away from home we're the ones who benefit?

The Herald Sun are p!ssing on us and telling us it's just rain.

EDIT: The AFL are p!ssing on us, their willing media are providing the sympathetic weather report.

FREE KICK BREAKDOWN​

Adelaide+13-29+42
Brisbane+20+24-4
Carlton+5+11-6
Collingwood+5+7-2
Essendon+12+9+3
Fremantle+18+1+17
Geelong0-32+32
Gold Coast+46+18+28
GWS-51-6-45
Hawthorn-2-11+9
Melbourne-10-15+5
North Melbourne+14+3+11
Port Adelaide-1-8+7
Richmond16-37+21
St Kilda-9+5-14
Sydney+18+5+13
West Coast+14-8+22
Western Bulldogs-20+8-28

BIGGEST WINNERS​

Adelaide +42
Geelong +32
Gold Coast +28
West Coast +22
Richmond +21
Fremantle +17
Sydney +13

lol at the massive GWS home crowd helping them at home!

So is that article saying we get more frees at home, but all teams get more frees at home, however when we play away we get royally screwed more than the average?

If so, duh.
Basically, except GWS

Article is stupidity at the next level. Well I am on a discounted $14/monthly deal for all papers - you get what you pay for….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Straight sets again
I am confident Swans, Lions and GWS are all superior. Probably Cats too.

I am not sure I would want to be relying on some (most) of their KPPs in big finals

Like last year they are winning virtually all close games. 5 close wins under a goal and another one under 10 points, many against non top 8 teams

Ridiculous "analysis". All it proves is that the Crows are mightily hard done by when playing away.
I had to read it about 5 times to understand what they were saying. Classic Vic media looking at us getting absolutely reamed away from home and using that as evidence that we get too good of a run at home.

They really are a bunch of gaslighting flogs.
Spot on.

The real motive was laid bare last night with Sam Landsberger on Fox discussing the article.
He passed it off as heightening the OBVIOUS home town calls.
He then went on to say how many Victorian sides will be playing finals interstate this year .

There is the kicker and reason for his see through “journalism” to use the term loosely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back