Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

I am fully expecting them to at the last minute when it looks like Houston won't get them what they want for pushing him out, another player with worth being told to look around. They are DESPERATE to get into this draft AND Draper is their primary target. I heard this a long way out from a couple of my Port mates who are in and around the club. Will be interesting to see if they can make it happen now if Houston ends up staying
I believe you but they don’t need another mid. This would be a good one for them to sit out. Their midfield is fine for the next 5 years at least. They’d be better off getting whatever picks for Houston than trading for a decent defender and a forward.

What a shmozzle

No wonder port can’t win finals when all their players are such lightweights

I had more respect for Lever and Cameron who said I’m outta here and **** you to us.

It's all still posturing.

This whole notion that a club holds the whip hand when a player is contracted is a complete falicy. It increase their bargaining power but once a player wants out the club loses some power.

I think he will end up at the Kangaroo's on huge money that he can't refuse. They would have money to burn.

They seem willing to give up their future 1st plus some which with a third club involved could get Port what they want.

Last edited:
I believe you but they don’t need another mid. This would be a good one for them to sit out. Their midfield is fine for the next 5 years at least. They’d be better off getting whatever picks for Houston than trading for a decent defender and a forward.
I disagree, I think they know where its really won and lost and if they can put extra top end talent in there and roll deep, it means they win more ball all over the ground. The other thing it would do is to free up Rozee to float across half forward and he instantly becomes a very dangerous forward match up for them. I can absolutely see why they would be going hard to get into the top end of this draft.

That segment he did after their loss to Sydney was a train wreck.

Several times he said that PA were a young team....in the same breath he then said ' but we don't talk about that at PA'

He is a nutjob.
Just not the P.A.Way.
We get what we deserve.
There's a reason it's not called the "Reaching Greatness Fund" 😁

Luke Parker requests a move to North.

I see this working out as well as Liam Shiels.

I'm happy for F/S and Academy selections to continue, but the price paid has to more accurately reflect the value of the players being selected. Teams shouldn't be able to match a pick #1 bid with a handful of 2nd round picks.

Personally, I think any club matching a 1st round bid must include a pick within 10 picks of where the bid comes in. Thus, if a bid comes in at pick #1, the "match" would need to include a pick in the 2-11 range. Second and later rounds can continue as they do at present.

Clubs could obtain the required picks through pre-draft trading or live trading, but if they can't obtain a pick in the required range before the time limit expires, then they are unable to match the bid.

It's quite likely that this would require clubs to relinquish an A-grade player, in order to match a bid on a potential A-grade player in the draft. This would restore fairness to the system.

So … if you don’t have a pick in the top 12, and your father-son is pick 1 quality - you miss out?

That’s never going to fly. Especially when you think about the future pick movement that is coming.

Is going always be points of some type and it’s never going to make sense or be fair.

They might drop the requirement for # of games altogether. Just whichever team you played the most games for.

The mother-son / father-daughter will be the next thing that gets everyone up in arms. Why shouldn’t the same rules apply? One of Roo’s daughter goes into the draft pool OR imagine Marinoff having a son coming through the draft that we didn’t have first option on!!

I love the idea that you have the option to play where your dad / mum did.

Academies are another level in my opinion, either we all have em - or no one does!! Too easy to exploit.

Shiels was fine and I'm sure has provided plenty of mentoring to the young group.

Worked pretty well for Hodge and Birchall at Brisbane long term didn't it.
Absolutely did.

I dont think this works as well for North, from a playing perspective. Off field im sure he can provide leadership.

So … if you don’t have a pick in the top 12, and your father-son is pick 1 quality - you miss out?
You manufacture a trade, in order to obtain a pick in the top-11, or you miss out. If that means trading out an A-grade player, in order to draft a potential A-grade player, then so be it.

Clubs have a pretty fair idea of where bids are likely to come, and have plenty of time to make the required trades - during the trading period (players & picks), pre-draft trading (picks only), or even live trading during the ND itself.
That’s never going to fly. Especially when you think about the future pick movement that is coming.
Actually, that just makes it easier for them to obtain that vital top-11 pick.
Is going always be points of some type and it’s never going to make sense or be fair.
I'm not suggesting that they do away with the points system - just that one of the picks used for points needs to be in the same ballpark as the pick being matched.
They might drop the requirement for # of games altogether. Just whichever team you played the most games for.
Depends on what happens with AFLW eligibility.
The mother-son / father-daughter will be the next thing that gets everyone up in arms. Why shouldn’t the save rules apply? One of Roo’s daughter goes into the draft pool OR imagine Marinoff having a son coming through the draft that we didn’t have first option on!!

I love the idea that you have the option to play where your dad / mum did.
Agreed, 100%.

I'm not against clubs being able to select F/S players (or M/S, F/D or M/D for that matter). I'm just trying to address the problems with the current bidding system, attempting to make it fairer. Note that the whole purpose of the Draft is competition equalisation, so addressing the inequality of the bidding system should be seen as a positive.
Academies are another level in my opinion, either we all have em - or no one does!! Too easy to exploit.
I have mixed feelings about the academies. GC in particular have long struggled with player retention. Giving them priority access to local players via an NGA should reduce the "go home factor", and help them address their player retention problems. The same applies to GWS, to a lesser extent.

However, long-established clubs like Brisbane & Sydney have no player retention problems, and thus no real justification for having priority access to NGA players.

I'm happy for them to have Academies, developing local kids and increasing the number of players drafted from NSW & QLD, but they shouldn't have any advantages in drafting these kids than the clubs in SA/WA/Vic have with their academies. GWS & GC should lose advantage NGA drafting rights too, if/when their player retention issues are satisfactorily resolved.

You manufacture a trade, in order to obtain a pick in the top-11, or you miss out. If that means trading out an A-grade player, in order to draft a potential A-grade player, then so be it.

Clubs have a pretty fair idea of where bids are likely to come, and have plenty of time to make the required trades - during the trading period (players & picks), pre-draft trading (picks only), or even live trading during the ND itself.
I get the option - maybe you are right - but the old "we'll get him in 3 years" would be very strong ... which create a false market price imo.

I don't get the NGA at all - it's a joke. Borlase was deemed Egyptian? The whole thing is manipulated beyond repair. If they keep moving the goal-posts it just screws over some clubs and benefits others. I reckon ANYONE should be able to pick an NGA player at anytime - but that's just part of the problem as you point out.

The state-based stuff I'm not sure how to solve ... how do you stop a player like JHF going to North for 2 years and back again without blocking players like Curtin getting to Adelaide? Dunno. ANY manipulation causes a new set of problems. Maybe it's a free for all and that is how it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t mind father son. Every club has the same opportunity when it comes to this.

Academies and zones though. Either get rid of them, or give them to every club.
The academies have a role, if it is consistently applied, as it actually encourages the clubs to take an interest in junior development, rather than just taking the cream from whichever regions have the best systems.

The issue at the moment is it is only applied to some privileged clubs.

I don't get the NGA at all - it's a joke. Borlase was deemed Egyptian? The whole thing is manipulated beyond repair. If they keep moving the goal-posts it just screws over some clubs and benefits others. I reckon ANYONE should be able to pick an NGA player at anytime - but that's just part of the problem as you point out.
NGA is about trying to broaden the game's support base, by attracting players from non-traditional demographics. Borlase was born in Egypt, which is why he qualifies. Yes, it's an unusual circumstance, but not a reason for saying that we shouldn't be trying to encourage African-born players into the game.

All clubs have access to players under the NGA rules - but the northern clubs have additional draft concessions for recruiting them. This is understandable for clubs like GC, and to a lesser extent GWS, who have problems with player retention - so anything which increases the number of local players on their list is seen as helping. It's not required for the established clubs - Sydney & Brisbane - who should not have the same level of access to their NGA players.
The state-based stuff I'm not sure how to solve ... how do you stop a player like JHF going to North for 2 years and back again without blocking players like Curtin getting to Adelaide? Dunno. ANY manipulation causes a new set of problems. Maybe it's a free for all and that is how it is.
You can't stop players from moving, but you can help clubs recruit players who are less likely to want out - and that's what the northern NGA draft concessions are all about.

This is a terrible philosophy ....the worse you are the more money we'll give you

What happened to encouraging being good at running your Club .....incentivise excellence ! ....this is what's wrong with the AFL, amongst a myriad of other things

If you can't compete, amalgamate ....actually build an elite competition ....because currently, it's no-where near elite as a spectacle, it's just an entertainment vehicle to generate revenue .....eventually though, fans won't cop mediocrity

1727840538513.jpeg

This is a terrible philosophy ....the worse you are the more money we'll give you

What happened to encouraging being good at running your Club .....incentivise excellence ! ....this is what's wrong with the AFL, amongst a myriad of other things

If you can't compete, amalgamate ....actually build an elite competition ....because currently, it's no-where near elite as a spectacle, it's just an entertainment vehicle to generate revenue .....eventually though, fans won't cop mediocrity

View attachment 2129033
Why is Sydney getting $16 mill? Why is Sydney getting more than us?

Biggest club in NSW should be in the same group as West Coast Collingwood Richmond and Hawthorn, what are they getting so wrong that they need the extra funding?

View attachment 2129033
The AFL shouldn't be propping up 3 Vic teams still

The AFL shouldn't be propping up 3 Vic teams still
And yet, St Kilda is technically bankrupt ....but continues to spend money hand over fist, using the AFL as collateral

How many times are that mob going to change training bases

View attachment 2129033
That we are on the same level as Fremantle and not West Coast is an absolute blight on the people who have run our club.

And yet, St Kilda is technically bankrupt ....but continues to spend money hand over fist, using the AFL as collateral

How many times are that mob going to change training bases
With Tassie coming in, they look most likely to fold, the AFL should tell them now.

Stkilda players Tassie has first dibs on their stars... Not that there's many of them.

With Tassie coming in, they look most likely to fold, the AFL should tell them now.

Stkilda players Tassie has first dibs on their stars... Not that there's many of them.
Say what?..

Would you say no to Rowan Marshall, Jack Sinclair, Nasiah Wangannen-Milera, Max King, Mattaes Phillipou, Darcy Wilson, Jack Higgins, Mitchito Owens, Jack Steele and Callum Wilkie?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Non-Crows AFL 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Back