Opinion Non-Crows AFL 4: The Centre Cannot Hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took me a bit of googling to remember, but I just realised Port traded their 2022 2nd round pick to move from pick 14 to pick 12?

So, Sinn cost them pick 18, Ladhams and the '22 2nd?

The 2021 and 2022 draft will only give them two early picks IN TOTAL. Josh Sinn and whoever they get this year.

This seems like terrible list management.

Yep they went all in on assistants and missing pieces the past two years

2020 no shame to lose against Richmond but a home PF in a celebration year, it was their best shot

Last year, Jesus..Kenny all chilled out in the lead up, they’re advertising trips to Perth for the GF, then the game is over before they even touch the ball

Now their good assistants are gone and their players are ageing and injured, and the youngsters have fallen in a hole

Reminds me of Brisbane after winning three flags, Lethal has said they had to decide whether to rebuild or try to squeeze one more flag, which didn’t work

Port had the same decision to make but seems they chose wrongly

And without the three-peat beforehand
I really thought Port would go backwards this year - and it was because Ken suddenly wouldn't have any depth in his coaching staff.

To give the devil his due, their team of assistants have been close to the best in the AFL the last few years, but they couldn't afford to replace them when they left.

Now it's just the shallow end of the pool for talent.

Have Kayo Minis for the 2022 afl season disappeared for anyone else? They were there a couple of days ago and pre season games for 2022 are still there, but no regular season games

Gotta say I’m pretty annoyed about the reaction to this: Kennett makes a dad joke of no import, to break the ice to a partner of a (well paid) player. You can picture the moment, but awkward, not much to say, makes a dad joke and invites the jokey slap back.

Partner takes offence

So Jeff apologises. He then takes the step of sitting down to hand write a letter of apology, to take the time out of courtesy because they’ve taken offence.

Now they are spitting on that courtesy and gesture. Arseholes

What more could he have done????

In a revealing interview with Mark Robinson, AFL legend Michael Long details his concern for nephew Cyril Rioli as the former premiership Hawk’s racism standoff with Hawthorn drags on.

Uncle Michael Long is hurting.
He’s hurting for his nephew Cyril Rioli. “He needs help,” Long said.
Uncle Michael has not spoken to his nephew for almost four years, despite them both living in Darwin.
“We love our nephew but we’ve seen the change in our nephew and it’s not the way we’ve brought him up. We brought him up to have respect, but he’s changed and he needs to get professional help,” Long said.
Long believes his nephew has cut himself off from the world and needs to find his way back.
“He needs to address it himself,” Long said.
“We didn’t bring him up this way. A lot of people helped Cyril along the way and there were a lot of family and friends who got Cyril to where he got to, and he became estranged to a lot of family and friends.
“As a man he needs to stand up and take control of his life.
“And he knows a lot of people love him.”
Uncle Michael is also hurting for Hawthorn, and Jeff Kennett, and Rioli’s former teammates.

He’s hurting for the Rioli and Long families in Darwin and on the Tiwi Islands, where respect has been the cornerstone of their upbringing, in the blackfella world and in the white-dominated footy world.

He’s hurting because when he read what Cyril and his wife Shannyn revealed of their hatred towards Kennett and the Hawks last week, he believed he was reading the thoughts of a nephew he loved, but a nephew who was lost.

NO CONTACT

Cyril really doesn’t answer any messages from family or former Hawk teammates, some of whom he played in four premierships with.

He was close to Jarryd Roughead and “Poppy” (Paul Puopolo), but they are now distant.

Former teammates have noted the change in Rioli.

Eyebrows were raised several years ago when one former teammate organised to go fishing with mates in Darwin and contacted Rioli about helping to organise the fishing day.

Rioli apparently said no worries, but as the weekend loomed, he contacted his former teammate and the fishing trip was cancelled.
As Uncle Michael details his despair and concern in this interview, he breaks down in tears several times, for Cyril is a like a son to him.

But at some point in his adult life, Cyril changed.

For several years, and even before he returned to the Northern Territory midway through 2018 and subsequently retired at the end of the 2018 season, the cheeky, grinning, loveable Cyril became sullen and withdrawn.

Family members have been concerned about his social behaviour for some time.

Uncle Michael won’t detail exactly what.

‘PEOPLE WANT TO HELP HIM’

“He needs to address it himself,” he said. “Cyril knows what he needs to address and there’s plenty of people out there who want to help him.”

It’s been a week since Cyril and his wife, Shannyn Ah Sam-Rioli, went public with their allegations of race-related incidents at Hawthorn when Cyril was at the club.

In a scathing attack, they also declared they would never return to Hawthorn until Kennett was gone.

Hawthorn president Kennett on Thursday announced the club was investigating the Rioli matters.

“We are taking them seriously and any failings will be addressed,” Kennett wrote to Hawks members.
Long said he was saddened when he read last week’s article, but not for the reason that saddened mostly everyone else.

“That article I read … that’s not Cyril, that’s not his go,” Uncle Michael said.

“He’s been four or five years out of the game … and for that article to come out that way it did … I was saddened to read how it came across about Jeff Kennett and the Hawthorn Football Club.

‘THERE WAS GOOD LEADERSHIP’

“There were a lot of Indigenous players at the club at the time — Shaun Burgoyne was there, Lance (Franklin) was there and before that Chance (Bateman) … there’s good leadership there.

“I don’t think any of those players spoke out about racial issues and I’ve never heard anything, and his mum has never said anything to me about this.

“I don’t know where it’s coming from.”

Yep, 1 goal loss in the prelim to the winners, you never live that down or forget it.

It's a story of what coulda been, and the legacy Kenny coulda have.

Now he's lost the players and is too old and seen too much.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ruined Duursma as well. Dropping that mark that arguably cost them a premiership hasn’t been nearly the same since albeit did get injured as well last year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That makes a lot of sense, as does this passage:

“Family members have been concerned about his social behaviour for some time.
Uncle Michael won’t detail exactly what.”
Certainly taken a different turn now.
Won’t contact family only the media.

What gives me the irrits is the PA crap that they ram down everyone's throats:

1870 (no relevance to the Power)
We exist to win premierships (every f*&^% club exists for this reason)
The creed (do they really expect a 19 year old recruit to give a shit about this)
The most loyal supporter base (spare me - they drop off as soon as it gets too tough)
The pre game entertainment (who gives a rats? Do they go to the footy to watch their club or to sing INXS)?
The prison bars (I guess if they wore them in the showdown and last night they would have won)

I've got a couple of close mates who are power supporters and even they are saying that its time to move on from all the propaganda e.g. the prison bars - they won a flag in 2004 wearing a power guernsey - doesn't this guernsey mean anything to them?

The fact is that they are no different to any other AFL club. They need to get that through their thick heads.

They need to try and be different to remain relevant. Obviously many of their supporters didn’t even grow up barracking for the Magpies but it makes them different from us to say they have greater history
And the Creed seems to have gone the same way as the 19th man

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It took me a bit of googling to remember, but I just realised Port traded their 2022 2nd round pick to move from pick 14 to pick 12?

So, Sinn cost them pick 18, Ladhams and the '22 2nd?

The 2021 and 2022 draft will only give them two early picks IN TOTAL. Josh Sinn and whoever they get this year.

This seems like terrible list management.

**** me, have they got Ned Guy on staff?

I can't quite put together how Geelong can compile all these stars from other teams and still stay below the salary cap
Same way Dangerfield family have been earning more off field than on field...

Yep, 1 goal loss in the prelim to the winners, you never live that down or forget it.

It's a story of what coulda been, and the legacy Kenny coulda have.

Now he's lost the players and is too old and seen too much.
He has lost two prelims by less than a goal.

Lost to the Hawks under Kenny in 2014 by 3pts, had more scoring shots than the Hawks too, 29 to 22. Would have played Sydney at the G in the GF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back