Opinion Non-Crows AFL 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Davies is a massive flog and he's part of the problem down there.

They're obsessed with selling this belief to the public that they're better than us, but it's just all hot air because what is there to actually be jealous of? We have more AFL flags, more supporters, more financially stable and a much bigger profile than they do.

There's literally nothing at all that we'd even be remotely jealous about, even at our lowest we've shown that we're still in front of them with memberships and attendances.

Thankfully for us they're way more interested in trying to convince their supporters that they're better than us than they are in actually trying to achieve it.
Agreed and just like Hinkley, I hope Chris Davies never leaves that football club.

I will never understand this.

She's a bit of an anomaly !!!

Her Dad is a Port supporter and she was a teenager when Port went into the AFL so it just ended up that she started supporting them because of her Dad.

Here's where it gets weird though, the Crows are her 2nd side :confusedv1:

We've been together for over 20 years and I've never been able to work it out either !!!!

Which bit?

Marrying a Port supporter or a Norwood supporter also supporting Port?

It's all a bit much to take in....

I'm actually somewhat to blame for this too

She was only ever a casual fan, but after meeting me and seeing just how football obsessed I was it's encouraged her to really embrace football too. She goes to pretty much every Crows home game and she has a Port membership too.

Here's where it gets weird though, the Crows are her 2nd side :confusedv1:
This is a thing. I have a family member who will support either Crows or Port. She will go for the Crows in showdowns but otherwise barrack for any SA side. I keep telling her to pick a lane but she's 90 years old. ¯\(ツ)

Have you noticed that all the 1870 crap and the SANFL flags only started becoming important to them once they began to realise that they're a mid tier club in the AFL.

Back in 97 it was all about how Port were going to dominate the AFL and win flags every year.

All we heard were these grandiose predictions and hypothetical premierships that Port were destined to win. They didn't care whether they were Port Power or that they wore teal because they were going to "dominate the AFL".

Gradually that mentally had died off and now all they have is to massively over inflate their history because they have nothing else.
Mid tier??..

since when have they been a mid tier club in the AFL?..

they are in the bottom tier... Are in debt and can barely stay afloat financially without being granted handouts.

hell.. even North Melbourne is debt free and operating in the black.. and it’s a bottom tier club.

the big clubs are the ones with the largest supporter base’s. It’s what gives them the financial stability as it ensures they attract the top sponsors, sell the most memberships and tickets to games, importantly have the largest TV/Kayo viewers and sell tons of merchandise..
3D1AC7BA-EB0F-47AC-8EE9-D78F2E07493F.jpeg
Roy Morgan are a very reputable polling/statistics gathering organisation.. nearly always near or on the money.

Mid tier??..

they are in the bottom tier... Are in debt and can barely stay afloat financially without being granted handouts.

hell.. even North Melbourne is debt free and operating in the black.. and it’s a bottom tier club.

the big clubs are the ones with the largest supporter base’s. It’s what gives them the financial stability as it ensures they attract the top sponsors, sell the most memberships and tickets to games, importantly have the largest TV/Kayo viewers and sell tons of merchandise..
View attachment 1658405
Roy Morgan are a very reputable polling/statistics gathering organisation.. nearly always near or on the money.

Do they really think the SA clubs have 0.97 million supporters while the WA clubs only have 1.06 million supporters?

That is definitely not right given the population difference

This is a thing. I have a family member who will support either Crows or Port. She will go for the Crows in showdowns but otherwise barrack for any SA side. I keep telling her to pick a lane but she's 90 years old. ¯\(ツ)
This was driven by KG ''back in the day'' who got on the ''I support anyone who beats the Vics'' train

I have always been about us needing to beat every team to win a flag

I do hold a special place for Port getting beaten but I dont actively support them losing or winning - unless it helps us improve ladder position

This was driven by KG ''back in the day'' who got on the ''I support anyone who beats the Vics'' train

I do hold a special place for Port getting beaten but I dont actively support them losing or winning - unless it helps us improve ladder position

It's definitely true, if we're the striving and doing everything we can to be best that we can possibly be then it doesn't really matter what is happening down at Alberton.

Mid tier??..

View attachment 1658405

I honestly consider them to be mid tier

They are above GC, GWS, North, St Kilda and the Bulldogs.

They're most probably on the same footing as Freo, It's hard to compare teams financially because both us and Port are being absolutely bled dry financially by the SANFL and we're currently disadvantaged financially more than any other team in the league is.

Do they really think the SA clubs have 0.97 million supporters while the WA clubs only have 1.06 million supporters?

Supporter 14+, it sounds about right to me

Quick question regarding Kayo (not sure where to put this).

If you have a 2 screen subscription, even though you can use simultaneously on 2 devices, does it restrict the actual devices you can use? Can I change from device to device and not be restricted so long as only 2 devices are being used at any one point in time?

The reason I ask is that at one stage Foxtel restricted devices you can use and you had to remove a device to add another. It was restricted at a device level (I assume MAC address) and not a login level.

Any clarification would be appreciated. Cheers
I only have a 1 screen subscription and I watch it on both my laptop and ps5.

So I'd assume it'd be the same with a 2 (or 3) screen subscription.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My wife is a Norwood supporter and supports Port in the AFL and she actually hates all the prison bar crap.

She came home from the Showdown and told me that when they unveiled the prison bar banner at the northern end that she deliberately didn't stand up and clap and said that she wasn't alone in not acknowledging or caring about it.

I've lost track of the amount of times she told me how she's sick to death of the club and supporters being so obsessed with it. She loves the original AFL guernsey and for her that's what she associates with Port and the 2004 premiership, it pisses her off that the club continually ignores their early AFL history and their original guernsey.

Next year is 20 years since their 1 and only AFL flag so if the club once again spends next year banging on about black and white prison bars and not acknowledge their original guernsey then that club will never get it. Eventually continually pandering to a group of boomer and Gen X Port supporters will start to wear thin with the younger supporters that have zero connection to that era.
Probably the worst combination I could think of.

The arrogance of a Port supporter with the stupidity of a Norwood supporter?

I'll be honest, It comes to upbringing.

I grew up in Sydney, so had no knowledge of how much the average Port fan (under 30) is an arrogant c***.

So in 2007 I did want Port to win (Wanted the 4peat in 2004 though - but didn't care when Port won it) for SA pride.

I did attend 1 Port showdown (2nd 2006 showdown) and had a bad experience. But I thought, probs a one off.

But having moved here in 2008 and a few more shit experiences, after 2013 I went 'not going to attend an away showdown again' (That didn't eventuate. 2014 and 15 were special occassions (for the wrong reasons on the 2nd one) 16, 17 and 19 were with friends who wanted to go, 21 was to do the roof climb, 22 and 23 were with free tickets)

Mid tier??..

View attachment 1658405
On pure numbers, I agree with that split

HOWEVER, Like Sydney, ours are casual fans as there's the perception 'cant get tickets, wont go'.

So alot of our fans are casual fans. Whereas, I find it alot rarer for Port fans to just be casual.

The "common sense department" would suggest some rubbery figures there. Brisbane Lions ahead of the Crows and many others.
The old saying “There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.” or more appropriate
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination”

The "common sense department" would suggest some rubbery figures there. Brisbane Lions ahead of the Crows and many others.
The old saying “There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.” or more appropriate
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination”
Not really.

You ask a random in the street of Brisbane 'Which AFL team do you support?'

There'd be 4 responses.

1) 'insert other team' (Probably 20%)
2) 'Brisbane' - From a diehard fan (Probably 20%)
3) '**** GayFL - From an NRL fan (Probably 20%)
4) 'Brisbane' - From a casual fan (Probably 40%)

In regards to Brisbane/Sydney/Gold Coast/GWS I'd probably deduct 60% off their figure for a more accurate number, as well as maybe 20-30% off West Coast and Adelaide too.

Those 6 clubs would have lots of casual fans, in the non-traditional states, more so because they dont care about the sport and just named the local team because they check the scores and nothing else, and for Adelaide/West Coast, because there's the perception they can't get tickets.

Not really.

You ask a random in the street of Brisbane 'Which AFL team do you support?'

There'd be 4 responses.

1) 'insert other team' (Probably 20%)
2) 'Brisbane' - From a diehard fan (Probably 20%)
3) '**** GayFL - From an NRL fan (Probably 20%)
4) 'Brisbane' - From a casual fan (Probably 40%)

In regards to Brisbane/Sydney/Gold Coast/GWS I'd probably deduct 60% off their figure for a more accurate number, as well as maybe 20-30% off West Coast and Adelaide too.

Those 6 clubs would have lots of casual fans, in the non-traditional states, more so because they dont care about the sport and just named the local team because they check the scores and nothing else, and for Adelaide/West Coast, because there's the perception they can't get tickets.
Like I said. rubbery figures :think:

Interesting to note from those Roy Morgan figures that four of the top six are not Melbourne clubs.

In saying that though, five of the bottom seven are also non Melbourne.

I don't think this graph will ever move around much, especially with GWS and GCS. Destined to always be at the bottom, unless something remarkable happens.

And always the first team in the market will continue to be better supported.

My wife is a Norwood supporter and supports Port in the AFL and she actually hates all the prison bar crap.

She came home from the Showdown and told me that when they unveiled the prison bar banner at the northern end that she deliberately didn't stand up and clap and said that she wasn't alone in not acknowledging or caring about it.

I've lost track of the amount of times she told me how she's sick to death of the club and supporters being so obsessed with it. She loves the original AFL guernsey and for her that's what she associates with Port and the 2004 premiership, it pisses her off that the club continually ignores their early AFL history and their original guernsey.

Next year is 20 years since their 1 and only AFL flag so if the club once again spends next year banging on about black and white prison bars and not acknowledge their original guernsey then that club will never get it. Eventually continually pandering to a group of boomer and Gen X Port supporters will start to wear thin with the younger supporters that have zero connection to that era.
I associate that jumper with 119 and the Ultimate Showdown.

Last edited:

I actively supported them losing their Prelim Finals in 2020 and 20021. :$

Genuinely believe they would have won the 2020 Flag had they beaten the Tigers.

Port not winning a flag, means we can post in peace on here.

I actively supported them losing their Prelim Finals in 2020 and 20021. :$

Genuinely believe they would have won the 2020 Flag had they beaten the Tigers.

Port not winning a flag, means we can post in peace on here.
You need to stop digging that hole for yourself.:)

Awkward Cat GIF by Abitan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back