Opinion Non-Crows AFL 9

Which team will finish the 2024 season higher ranked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great concept but I don’t think I’ll do it again. Four games of footy in four days is just a bit much for me (my boys did 6!). Loved the vibe around the city area and also loved sitting in different sections of the oval. Best view by far was in the eastern stand, top level, row b, dead centre. You can see everything from there. It’s brilliant! One thing I saw from there that you can’t see in tv or from lower levels, is how badly positioned the umpires are. No wonder they miss stuff.

Get where you're coming from. I did Thursday night, Mt Barker Sat, Dogs v Cats Sat night, Food and Wine from about 11am, Tigers v Saints at Norwood, back to Food and Wine for Temper Trap, then in for the Baker Boy/Jet show at Adelaide Oval.

I rested all yesterday. Will be booking in leave for next year and doing it all again.

I know you shouldn't compare gather round games to regular Adelaide home games but the contrast was stark. Over the years I've begun to kinda hate our home games.

We have zero atmosphere, yeah it picks up a bit when we're winning, but it's just masking a bigger issue. Something needs to be done.

I'm not talking about pre match enentertainment the club think they can fix it with that kinda stuff, it's useless. I'm talking about the demographic of our crowd. It's nothing new, but here we are still no change.

I get that having 40k odd people every year renewing their same seat isn't exactly 'a problem' to the club.

At a very minimum we need support from the AFL to implement a better seat return system. From what I heard if you returned a ticket for a gather round game you just automatically got your refund, wasn't contingent on the ticket being resold and was cash, not a future membership credit.

Maybe something like that would be enough to bring in 5-10k more fresh blood each week. Sell a more GA tickets as well?

What can be done?

Get where you're coming from. I did Thursday night, Mt Barker Sat, Dogs v Cats Sat night, Food and Wine from about 11am, Tigers v Saints at Norwood, back to Food and Wine for Temper Trap, then in for the Baker Boy/Jet show at Adelaide Oval.

I rested all yesterday. Will be booking in leave for next year and doing it all again.

I know you shouldn't compare gather round games to regular Adelaide home games but the contrast was stark. Over the years I've begun to kinda hate our home games.

We have zero atmosphere, yeah it picks up a bit when we're winning, but it's just masking a bigger issue. Something needs to be done.

I'm not talking about pre match enentertainment the club think they can fix it with that kinda stuff, it's useless. I'm talking about the demographic of our crowd. It's nothing new, but here we are still no change.

I get that having 40k odd people every year renewing their same seat isn't exactly 'a problem' to the club.

At a very minimum we need support from the AFL to implement a better seat return system. From what I heard if you returned a ticket for a gather round game you just automatically got your refund, wasn't contingent on the ticket being resold and was cash, not a future membership credit.

Maybe something like that would be enough to bring in 5-10k more fresh blood each week. Sell a more GA tickets as well?

What can be done?
Gather round is a novelty, an attraction people want to go.

To go to a Crows game general admission half reasonable seats you’re looking $90 plus and there are seats available, so it’s not availability, it’s the level of interest and the cost that’s the issue

Gather round is a novelty, an attraction people want to go.

To go to a Crows game general admission half reasonable seats you’re looking $90 plus and there are seats available, so it’s not availability, it’s the level of interest and the cost that’s the issue

Generally speaking it's just scraps that are available for sale each home game, isn't it?

If you hardly ever go, eventually go, get nosebleeds at a no atmosphere game, do you go again?

Generally speaking it's just scraps that are available for sale each home game, isn't it?

If you hardly ever go, eventually go, get nosebleeds at a no atmosphere game, do you go again?
No, still seats available on third level of eastern stand for Essendon game that aren’t too high up. It’s a great view from there as get all the ground and plenty of hospitality. That’s with a week and a half to go too, would have even better seats available. It’s $95 which is too expensive.

No, still seats available on third level of eastern stand for Essendon game that aren’t too high up. It’s a great view from there as get all the ground and plenty of hospitality. That’s with a week and a half to go too, would have even better seats available. It’s $95 which is too expensive.

That is a ridiculous amount. Who are we really gouging there? The people not in a position to be season ticket holders.

They could slash prices, open up GA bays (there's currently zero GA bays, I believe) take other measures to get new people to matches and it would all be at a cost to the bottom line, for now. I get how hard of an issue it is. No one wants to implement change where the benefits won't be seen til they are gone.

There surely is a short term price that needs to be paid for the long term betterment of the club. They have even spoken about this issue, they know of it. The only two moves I know of is the shitty seat return program and some competition you enter for attending all games (do they still do that?), which only addresses no shows.

It needs an out of the box solution. I'm not sure on the specific current numbers so forgive me. 40k 11 x game season ticket holders would bring in the same amount of money as 80k season ticket holders made up of 5x and 6x game holders. Which is better?

Sounds like a stupid, crazy idea, but we need something weird like that.

Could we sell 80k of those tickets right now? Probably not, we should be able to, but it's a reflection on how little we have grown.

Who here has felt slightly embarrassed taking non regulars to our home games?

What can be done?
I was surprised that the atmosphere at the Collingwood hawks game wasn’t much different to a crows game.
The only difference was there was equal “ball” cries due to similar amount of supporters each.

I was surprised that the atmosphere at the Collingwood hawks game wasn’t much different to a crows game.
The only difference was there was equal “ball” cries due to similar amount of supporters each.

Didn't get time that game. Perhaps being the last game people were a little flatter, most of those would have been to other games already.

Irony that the Mt Barker game might make way for a Barossa game to showcase their wines, when the Adelaide Hills make better wines anyway (come at me …)
Depends what type of wines you prefer.

Pinot yeah.
Sav Blanc yeah

Rest, including powerful reds, no.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a ridiculous amount. Who are we really gouging there? The people not in a position to be season ticket holders.

They could slash prices, open up GA bays (there's currently zero GA bays, I believe) take other measures to get new people to matches and it would all be at a cost to the bottom line, for now. I get how hard of an issue it is. No one wants to implement change where the benefits won't be seen til they are gone.

There surely is a short term price that needs to be paid for the long term betterment of the club. They have even spoken about this issue, they know of it. The only two moves I know of is the shitty seat return program and some competition you enter for attending all games (do they still do that?), which only addresses no shows.

It needs an out of the box solution. I'm not sure on the specific current numbers so forgive me. 40k 11 x game season ticket holders would bring in the same amount of money as 80k season ticket holders made up of 5x and 6x game holders. Which is better?

Sounds like a stupid, crazy idea, but we need something weird like that.

Could we sell 80k of those tickets right now? Probably not, we should be able to, but it's a reflection on how little we have grown.

Who here has felt slightly embarrassed taking non regulars to our home games?
The prices are ridiculous, a few rows lower and you’re talking $115. Imagine spending that amount to watch a basket case team?

The prices are ridiculous, a few rows lower and you’re talking $115. Imagine spending that amount to watch a basket case team?

Imagine the club justifying with a straight face, significantly higher prices for our games than the Power charge for theirs.

I felt the same with all the games. I thought we make more noise up here in QLD when Adelaide play up here than a whole stadium does in Adelaide! It was quite an eye opener.

I felt the same with all the games. I thought we make more noise up here in QLD when Adelaide play up here than a whole stadium does in Adelaide! It was quite an eye opener.

I wouldn't say the Dogs v Cats game was any louder than Adelaide games, but it was a better atmosphere.

Everyone was having fun.

Just caught up with Footy Classified last night.

Why would Sam McDumbo call Finalyson’s slur alleged? It isn’t alleged at all, he has public come out and said he said it.

Finalyson will get suspended.

They got the Clarkson decision wrong and the AFL should just acknowledge that they got it wrong.

Just caught up with Footy Classified last night.

Why would Sam McDumbo call Finalyson’s slur alleged? It isn’t alleged at all, he has public come out and said he said it.

Finalyson will get suspended.

They got the Clarkson decision wrong and the AFL should just acknowledge that they got it wrong.
I don't think Clarkson's slur and Finlayson's are equivalent, either.

Clarkson's should have been vastly higher in its punishment, but Finlayson's was probably the worst aggressive slur you could target to a gay man or woman.

I get frustrated how quickly people want to dismiss the comparison to Tex. I personally don't feel racist or homophobic slurs are any different from one another.

Adelaide works for a variety of reasons.

Being a "central city" makes the travel factor a lot more palatable as well from a logistics point of view.

Would not be surprised to see it come to Hobart for a stint once the new stadium is up and running in 2029.

Plenty of suitable grounds here:

Awesome place to visit - great weather for footy (second driest capital city after Adelaide).

Might be a smoky.

Would not be surprised to see it come to Hobart for a stint once the new stadium is up and running in 2029.

Awesome place to visit - great weather for footy (second driest capital city after Adelaide).

Might be a smoky.
With so many suitable grounds already, it does strange the AFL are wanting to spend hundreds of millions on a new stadium in Tasmania.
I can understand why people think the money could be better spent else where
Why not get footy up and running first at Bellerive Oval, I think that is a beautiful ground.
If the numbers then make it viable for a new stadium later on, go for it.

Might be a smoky.
There are plenty of suitable grounds in every state, there are also great places to visit in each state as well.

Adelaide works well for a variety of reasons, accessibility in regards to transport is a strong key component. A lot of people were able to drive down or come by bus and use that form of transport to get around various parts of the state for both the footy and seeing the state.

I can obviously see potentially Tasmania wanting it as will other states as well. Unfortunately with Tasmania, the only practical way to come across is to fly over. That will deter a lot of people.

Gather Round must be kept permanently in SA and the State Govt and both SA teams must do there best for this to happen.

Im sure Tasmania can find their own niche in due course, much like how the Eastern States got Opening Round R0. Tasmania's first priority should be to run a successful Club in its formative years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back