MFC Fans Only Non Demons Footy Chat 2023 - incl. AFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically means we don't want to be hitting the top end of the draft until at least like 2028, because Tassie won't get insane concessions every year.
Don't understand what you're saying here. We need to be making sure we have enough young players when we get to 2027/28 that the draft isn't our only option to build because it will be compromised

Don't understand what you're saying here. We need to be making sure we have enough young players when we get to 2027/28 that the draft isn't our only option to build because it will be compromised

Tassie come in 2028, I'd imagine the concessions finish in 2027 or 2028. Meaning if we start going downhill badly in 2029 it'll be fine.

Almost certain GWS still had draft picks coming in after their debut year
Kind of.

At the end of GWS’ first year they had two 17 year olds that they were forced to trade, which ended up being Jack Martin and Jesse Hogan.

Martin was traded for pick 2, Hogan for pick 3.

So coming into their second year they had only their natural draft picks but some concessions allowed them to end up with picks 2 and 3 as well.

Last edited:
For Tasmania startup I really like the idea of their main concession to be to deem any player as a free agent, regardless of their contract status.

If Tasmania can convince the player to sign on, the player’s existing contract is cancelled and no trade is required.

Each team can only lose up to one player this way, and would receive free agent style draft pick compensation.

That gives Tasmania a chance to have a critical mass of AFL capable players of various age profiles.

I also like the concept of the mini draft where they can draft under age players a year early but must trade that player.

Then I think it’s fair that they would also get something like pick 1, 5, 10, 15 in the National draft prior to their first year.

All of that together should give them a chance to have a more balanced list profile than what GWS and GCS started with, and therefore they should be more immediately competitive.

It also wouldn’t completely screw over the existing clubs unlucky enough to be right at the bottom of the ladder the year prior to Tasmania’s entry.

Guess you have to see the draft concessions first but there's always the option they trade for future picks, trade players in, trade rights to players etc who knows how it's gonna shake. I'd be surprised if it was a good time to be needing picks for anyone else
I think the smart clubs could benefit by finding mutually beneficial trades and agreements with Tasmania. When the parties value the trade assets quite differently then the win-wins are much easier to achieve.

Tasmania will likely have so many draft pick assets that they won’t value them as highly as other clubs. Like GWS and Gold Coast don’t value 2nd and 3rd round picks that much when they have revolving door trading out prior 1st round pick players for new 1st round picks.

Tasmania SHOULD value established AFL level players that can be part of a competitive squad (think your Jordons, Harmes, Petty, Spargo, Sparrow, ANB types) more than the losing club would value them. Melbourne lose one or two of that calibre player and it’s annoying, but not fatal. And if Melbourne can get a draft pick around 15-25 for that sort of player it’s probably a good outcome to help the list age profile.

We started that move, but Jesus H Christ they have gone full Hutchence. It's perverse.
Minor correction to an unimportant part of history, but Hutchence didn't die in a wanking accident. Like most famous musicians who died young, he simply committed suicide.

Paula Yates didn't want to believe it so her PR team twisted the story to make his death an accident.

Minor correction to an unimportant part of history, but Hutchence didn't die in a wanking accident. Like most famous musicians who died young, he simply committed suicide.

Paula Yates didn't want to believe it so her PR team twisted the story to make his death an accident.
It'll always be a stranglewank to me.

8a28327e05a14fad660eee56ce33ee76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

8a28327e05a14fad660eee56ce33ee76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
See this is where the AFL falls behind other sports, JHF should kick a goal, then have someone throw him one of those beers from the crowd and pour it over his head

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough game to tip tonight.

Zorko and Rich are big outs and Brissy are dicey away from the Gabba. Blues form has been crap but maybe a 100 pt flogging gets the boys up and about like it kicked the Cats into gear?

Tipped the Blues with zero confidence

Tough game to tip tonight.

Zorko and Rich are big outs and Brissy are dicey away from the Gabba. Blues form has been crap but maybe a 100 pt flogging gets the boys up and about like it kicked the Cats into gear?

Tipped the Blues with zero confidence
Can't trust Lions away from the Gabba against half decent teams. But it's hard to trust Blues in these big games as well. Blues at home I think. Rich and Zorko are big losses and Curnow is in rare form

Remove this Banner Ad

MFC Fans Only Non Demons Footy Chat 2023 - incl. AFL Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back