Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol there hasn't been a close, decent game since queens bday anyway.

AFL Standard in general is really poor

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
The standard is shocking. Look at the logjam from 5th to 14th on the ladder. Any of those teams could scrape into the 8, but none of them will come close to winning the flag.

Then you have a couple that sit a level below even that quality (Hawks, Blues, North) and finally us, who are a level below again. And it will get worse when we add another team or two.

The standard is shocking. Look at the logjam from 5th to 14th on the ladder. Any of those teams could scrape into the 8, but none of them will come close to winning the flag.

Then you have a couple that sit a level below even that quality (Hawks, Blues, North) and finally us, who are a level below again. And it will get worse when we add another team or two.
What do we need. Another team?

Not at all - but the moment they announced Tassie the media started going on about team 20. They reckon we can't have a bye.

Should fold a club instead, but we all know that won't happen unless the league actually goes bankrupt.
Gil did say he'd prefer 18 sides to 20.

I'm not sure if he's got the minerals to make it happen though.

Give away? Sheldrick wasn't even expected to be drafted in the top 30 let alone the first round.
It was considered a bit of a reach for the Swans to take him at pick 18.
If we were interested we probably thought he'd be available at our second pick.

I believe he's referring to players getting nominated after playing us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thicc Angus with a lazy 29D, 12 contested, 4 clearances, 4 tackles and a goal in his 7th game of AFL footy.

Meanwhile Chesser sucks his thumb in the corner. Nothing at all wrong though guyz, let's just give it time.
Tbf to Chesser he hasn't gotten to play against us.

Give away? Sheldrick wasn't even expected to be drafted in the top 30 let alone the first round.
It was considered a bit of a reach for the Swans to take him at pick 18.
If we were interested we probably thought he'd be available at our second pick.
What the swans do well and we do very poorly is identify footy tallent and potential. It is a consistent story over decades.

Sheldrick was the most in form player/midfielder from the champs and WAFL colts.

It's not like he was plucked from obscurity, the rankings just hadn't really caught up. There's a reason why the swans pounced early. His games for WA were top notch and included plenty of clutch moments.

If he wasn't used as the sub frequently for Sydney, his AFL numbers would be quite good IMO.

Sheldrick was the most in form player/midfielder from the champs and WAFL colts.

It's not like he was plucked from obscurity, the rankings just hadn't really caught up. There's a reason why the swans pounced early. His games for WA were top notch and included plenty of clutch moments.

If he wasn't used as the sub frequently for Sydney, his AFL numbers would be quite good IMO.

Not disagreeing with you, but you're double dipping on how shit the Eagles are and how good Sheldrick is.

What the swans do well and we do very poorly is identify footy tallent and potential. It is a consistent story over decades.
What a load of garbage.

Over the decades we have been one of the most successful clubs in the competition. You don’t do that by not being able to identify footy talent and potential.

If anything the Swans have actually been given a couple of concessions by the AFL which the Eagles haven’t received which has allowed them to be in that same bracket of successful clubs as the Eagles.

What a load of garbage.

Over the decades we have been one of the most successful clubs in the competition. You don’t do that by not being able to identify footy talent and potential.

If anything the Swans have actually been given a couple of concessions by the AFL which the Eagles haven’t received which has allowed them to be in that same bracket of successful clubs as the Eagles.
all the duds we got rid of in the last two years, multiple seasons put into XON, Petro, Waterman (ill I am sorry), Brander, the long necked faile Dr, etc etc and a bunch I have never haed of because they never gert a game (on merit).
The last true A grade we drafted, lucky dips such as Gov aside, was Nic.

No sane person can defend our talent ID and list management. If you want to be depressed look at the obvious and visable tallent we chose not to draft. It would almost fill a premiership team.

all the duds we got rid of in the last two years, multiple seasons put into XON, Petro, Waterman (ill I am sorry), Brander, the long necked faile Dr, etc etc and a bunch I have never haed of because they never gert a game (on merit).

No sane person can defend our talent ID and list management. If you want to be depressed look at the obvious and visable tallent we chose not to draft. It would almost fill a premiership team.
You forgot to mention the good picks such as Allen and that NN was pick 2 and we haven’t had pick 2 again until last year. In fact we have hardly had a top 10 pick in recent times. Not to mention that other clubs have hits and misses to.

It’s a performance based game and while we are at the bottom of the pile currently over the decades that you originally mentioned we have actually been one of the best clubs in the competition.

It was incorrect comment made with little thought about our recruiting over the decades and what other clubs have done.

To then claim our recruiting has been no good over the decades because we can look back at drafts and fill a premiership team with the players we missed is well….idk 🤣

I've given our drafting an eye over. Appears to be slightly under par. To actually make a confident call would take man hours because you have to analyse all the other clubs too.

You have to respect we were in the flag window and did what clubs should do in a flag window - spend draft picks on plug and play mature players.

This is the brander draft:

Notice picks 3, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 11 are a bust. half of the top 12 picks were a bust. It's really hard to guess the players who will go on with it.

When our #13 pick came, there's maybe 7 or 8 players in the mix: Brander, Ling, Bailey, Richards, Higgo, Starsky, Powell CCJ.

Brander was a bust but he was highly rated. Out of the rest of them, Bailey is good, and Richards, Higgo, Starsky are solid role players.

Here's XON:

12 of the first 13 are hits (if you include Tarryn "Bonds" Thomas), then it just falls to shit. We took XON at 28 and if we assume there was a pool of 16 players we had to choose from.....

They're pretty much all a bust except Jack Ross who got to play in a well oiled system at Richmond.

I won't show you Watermelon's draft but we got him at 78. The last player in the draft. No one else wanted him. he's roughly the 30th best player in his draft.

The simple facts are that we didn't have a top 10 pick for a decade, and we traded some picks for ready made players (cripps, yeo, TK) which further reduced our law of averages.

The drafting of XON was a mistake on multiple levels though.

1. We took him roughly 20 picks higher than where he was projected and should have gone.

2. We reached for him in large part because he finished first in the foot skills test at the combine(I think he scored 27/30 from memory). This was back when we were still obsessed with taking 150 uncontested marks a game, a game style that is now defuct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back