Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are footy players so ******* stupid?

Do as many lines as you want after retirement but don't do it when you're not even an established player...
Doing the lines is usually why you're not an established player. And also (amongst the younger cohort) a big reason for persistent soft tissue injuries.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty weak response from the vAFL on this latest cocaine use by Smith. He was still allowed to play in the finals/be part of the finals campaign - not pulled out at the last minute like Willie was. And the suspension, does it start now? It will be over before the new season starts. Surely the suspension must apply in season, and he miss a certain number of games. Basically, crickets from vAFL.

Doing the lines is usually why you're not an established player. And also (amongst the younger cohort) a big reason for persistent soft tissue injuries.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sounds like our medicos are off the hook. It's simply a massive recreational drug problem at the club and not incompetence in the support department.

Shame about Gibney. I felt like he was smarter than that.

Reported that Smith is looking at a 3-month ban...

That is just insanely incongruent with what happened with Willie Rioli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reported that Smith is looking at a 3-month ban...

That is just insanely incongruent with what happened with Willie Rioli.

Rioli tampered with a sample - twice - on seperate occasions.

Basically means he could have been on anything, they wouldn’t know, he tampered.

He is lucky he got 2 years.

The way he left the club and backhanded comments after how we supported him shits me to tears.

I can't stand the guy.

Can't remember having felt anger towards an ex Eagle before or after him.

Dick.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Basically means he could have been on anything, they wouldn’t know, he tampered.

Isn’t this a similar guilt level though? Tested positive on a game day for a banned substance and there’s probably no way you can prove you took it during the week (if that even changes things).

Cocaine is a game day PED so it’s gotta be treated like it’s worst case scenario (the same as Willie albeit under different circumstances). The fact they’ve left it till the end of the season and potentially given him a ban that doesn’t even last the summer is dodgy as f*ck.

Must admit I didn't realise he did it a second time.

But as above, if cocaine in-season is considered PED (which is questionable IMO) than how is Smith walking away with a one month ban?

Anyway, Melbourne imploding is a bit of justice. Don't get me wrong, I reckon their fans are alright.

But as a footy club, they put the competition through hell around 2010, got a huge AFL leg up. They deserved far more than one preliminary final worth of heartbreak.

(Very aware we were nearly at their level of shit this year, but far different circumstances).

Must admit I didn't realise he did it a second time.

But as above, if cocaine in-season is considered PED (which is questionable IMO) than how is Smith walking away with a one month ban?

Anyway, Melbourne imploding is a bit of justice. Don't get me wrong, I reckon their fans are alright.

But as a footy club, they put the competition through hell around 2010, got a huge AFL leg up. They deserved far more than one preliminary final worth of heartbreak.

(Very aware we were nearly at their level of s**t this year, but far different circumstances).

Cocaine is considered PED within a specified window of match day. The ban is two years. It will be up to Smith to prove he was on the toot for recreation and not to improve his performance, whereby the 2 years will be downgraded to 3 months. There's other boxes that can be ticked to reduce it further.

I applaud anyone who can get on the bag, and then perform in an elite sport a day or two later. Let the boys live. It’s doing them no good, so it’s their own problem if they want to partake. Heaps of disposable income, and can’t really drink during the season, so it’s an easy choice to make really.

The rules have changed on recreational drugs such that they aren’t treated the same as PEDs which is fine from a WADA standpoint. It actually makes sense tbh

However, the notion that Smith could be caught with cocaine in his system on match day and not miss any games seems quite farcical. It sends a message that contradicts their supposed strong stance on illicit drug use

And allowing players to use the mental health card to temper any penalty is bullshit. Mental health needs to be taken seriously but reducing it to a convenient excuse for drug taking is ridiculous

When we’ve seen what other players have been banned for, it’s incongruous that Smith doesn’t sit out a significant number of games. Somewhere around 6, arguably more

While I’m at it, Melbourne must be getting awfully close to a visit from AFL integrity to have a look at what’s going on at that club. It’s not West Coast noughties levels but clearly there’s issues

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back