Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If Freo are hosting us in the first game - which I think makes sense given 2022 we got the first home game at Optus and 2023 was a clusterfvxk with a concert meaning both teams started away - then it would be credible that we could be hosting Brisbane the following week.

That seems to align with your expectations of starting your season with a home game.

Seems like a good result for you to get a win on the board before we smash you and ruin your flag hopes.
I think you’ve missed the idea of what round zero is.

The four northern clubs are playing 4 Victorian clubs at home in round zero.

Then the following week, all 18 teams play round 1.

That is when we are supposed to be playing away in Perth (assuming West Coast).

That is your opening game of the season.

Round Zero is AFL stupidity at its finest

Suspect I’m going to be even unhappier than usual when this year’s fixtures are released

I think you’ve missed the idea of what round zero is.

The four northern clubs are playing 4 Victorian clubs at home in round zero.

Then the following week, all 18 teams play round 1.

That is when we are supposed to be playing away in Perth (assuming West Coast).

That is your opening game of the season.

I'd be surprised if we were handed the first home game of 2024. I didn't look into it too much but I think it's Freo's turn.

Freo might prefer the last home game if they're targeting finals.

space burst out GIF by Alpha

Are the AFL are going to add an extra week to the start of each season until we start on new year's day? Wouldn't put it past them. Having 7 v 10 and 8 v 9 in the first week of the finals is the next thing, you know it's coming.

Gotta love the AFL. Why try to fix an already compromised fixture when you can double down and make it more compromised? The round zero teams will get a huge advantage late in the season by having a second bye.

Are the AFL are going to add an extra week to the start of each season until we start on new year's day? Wouldn't put it past them. Having 7 v 10 and 8 v 9 in the week of the finals is the next thing, you know it's coming.

Only if they're all 4 Vic clubs and it comes attached with a "catchy" name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance every decision the AFL makes isn't around "growing the game in the northern states"?

How does having some dogshit 'Round Zero' do anything to grow the game there? Putting money into grassroots and junior football is what grows the game.

Sorry this rant isn't done actually.

If creating entirely new clubs in Fold Coast and GWS hasn't grown the game enough at this level then nothing will.

What annoys me the most is we're now looking at 30+ years of both Brisbane and Sydney and they still need to have the AFL chew their food for them to survive. Add in GWS and GC which for all intents and purposes have been an absolute failure - GC on and off the field, GWS off - and both who have diluted the talent pool for the sake of "growing the game" in states due to fear of rugby becoming taking over.

Yet WA and SA clubs front up, earn their money, keep their members and grow their grass roots. No financial leg ups. Zero academy favours. No marquee games (I'd be surprised if gather round stayed in SA in the future). "Let's decrease the soft cap coz rich clubs are getting an advantage over poor clubs!".

It's ****ed and an absolute rort.

Last edited:
Any chance every decision the AFL makes isn't around "growing the game in the northern states"?

How does having some dogshit 'Round Zero' do anything to grow the game there? Putting money into grassroots and junior football is what grows the game.
The “northern states” that, as our persistent guest briztoon posted in the other thread, have 12 AFL Academy kids next year compared to two from WA (a traditional Aussie Rules state).

The AFL’s profligate spending spree over the past decade in NSW and QLD is finally coming home to roost to the detriment of WA and SA. Don’t expect the Vic centric administration to do anything about it though. We‘ve just gotta suck it up as far as they’re concerned.

The “northern states” that, as our persistent guest briztoon posted in the other thread, have 12 AFL Academy kids next year compared to two from WA (a traditional Aussie Rules state).

The AFL’s profligate spending spree over the past decade in NSW and QLD is finally coming home to roost to the detriment of WA and SA. Don’t expect the Vic centric administration to do anything about it though. We‘ve just gotta suck it up as far as they’re concerned.
lol that was just a wind up post.

I’m not sure how many kids from the Northern academies are in next years National U18 academy.

I’m expecting between 4 and 7.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back