Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta love the AFL. Why try to fix an already compromised fixture when you can double down and make it more compromised? The round zero teams will get a huge advantage late in the season by having a second bye.
It’s not compromised it’s complex, get with the times

Could see the first afl stadium set up South American style.

View attachment 1847215
I just don't get why it is that soccer has these problems that other sports don't. And to a greater or lesser degree it happens everywhere. Hooliganism in England and Scotland is much reduced from the horrid 1980's but still exists. Even in Oz there is a proud history of soccer clubs being ethnically based and regular fights between the the Serbs and Croats and Italians and Greeks etc.

Soccer, even at lower levels, is segregated. Wouldn't dream of going in the away end as a home supporter. Or vice versa.
In Europe, while crowds are segregated, thank goodness it is yet to reach the level of South America. Barbed wire and armed security yet to be required. Mind you, in France there are a few clubs getting close to the line. Marseille being one.

I've been to rugby internationals and club games and Brumbies matches (inc Twickenham and Murrayfield) and never seen a problem. At Murrayfield they even sold us alcohol in bottles that we could take to our seats.
Been to cricket in England and Oz with mixed seating. Never seen a problem beyond a few drunk and very sunburnt lads being rowdy.
Tennis, even club rugby league (Balmain and that's as rough as it gets (excluding Souths)) no problems.

AFL obviously has mixed crowds.
Hope we never have to go the totally segregated route.

Have always thought we should do the derbies 50/50, would be great. 50% Eagles and Dockers, then the next derby other way round.

I suppose the problem is that seated memberships would not get their regular seats so would be very difficult to get past said members.

Any way we could make this work? North/south line through Optus maybe....
We play too many derbies for a start. Both clubs should get their 11 home games and play one neutral derby each year with 50/50 crowd split). That way members still get 11 games for their fees and both clubs only travel 11 times.

I just don't get why it is that soccer has these problems that other sports don't. And to a greater or lesser degree it happens everywhere. Hooliganism in England and Scotland is much reduced from the horrid 1980's but still exists. Even in Oz there is a proud history of soccer clubs being ethnically based and regular fights between the the Serbs and Croats and Italians and Greeks etc.

Soccer, even at lower levels, is segregated. Wouldn't dream of going in the away end as a home supporter. Or vice versa.
In Europe, while crowds are segregated, thank goodness it is yet to reach the level of South America. Barbed wire and armed security yet to be required. Mind you, in France there are a few clubs getting close to the line. Marseille being one.

I've been to rugby internationals and club games and Brumbies matches (inc Twickenham and Murrayfield) and never seen a problem. At Murrayfield they even sold us alcohol in bottles that we could take to our seats.
Been to cricket in England and Oz with mixed seating. Never seen a problem beyond a few drunk and very sunburnt lads being rowdy.
Tennis, even club rugby league (Balmain and that's as rough as it gets (excluding Souths)) no problems.

AFL obviously has mixed crowds.
Hope we never have to go the totally segregated route.
I think its pretty obvious- it is an extremely frustrating and boring sport (acknowledging the excellent skill level) so the crowds need to entertain themselves. Imagine turning up to a game where you go home after sitting through an hour and a half of the ball moving up and down the ground and nobody scores?
I recall a conversation I had with one of my bosses who is a Western Syd Wanderers fan. He was trying to tell me why Soccer was better than AFL and the crowds were so much better. He showed me video he had taken of the march to the ground that they all embark on with flares and the usual soccer bullshit. Then proceeds to tell me that after 30 minutes of chanting, all of the crowd turn their back on the game for one minute to demonstrate that they are bigger than the game!
So, it is just an outing for them. The game is not enough entertainment that they will refuse to watch it in preference of their own self importance.

Would love it, especially given how so many vics whinge about coloured lights at Optus!
Bring it on.

It would be great if the social media team tried to organise something along the lines of 'block A wears yellow, block B wears blue' etc. It may fail due to us having a fairly conservative membership group but it's far more worthy to attempt than an inflatable Eagle, smoke machines and The Pretender at 3 qtr time.

Last edited:
It would be great if the social media team tried to organise something along the lines of 'block A wears yellow, block B wears blue' etc. It may fail due to us having a fairly conservative membership group but it's far more worthy to attempt than an inflatable Eagle, smoke machines and The Pretender at 3 qtr time.
Pretty sure they sent out Yellow or Blue membership caps in 2018 based on seating blocks.

Pretty sure they sent out Yellow or Blue membership caps in 2018 based on seating blocks.

Yup. Was there more of a follow up beyond that though - as in a coordinated effort to have the crowd contribute?

I guess they did the 'join the huddle' thing too, and that was both an embarrassment and a failure.

I'm not certain what Pyke brings to the club, but it'd be nice for the club to join the 21st century and not be such a bland and stiff organisation.

Now you're in trouble. The pretender is the best bit, and it always leads into the third quarter. Crossover song that most enjoy, some other games still have Sweet Caroline FFS!

They have really stuffed up with the stupid slow starting team song as the team run through the chook's arse, Joker and the thief used to be great.

Now you're in trouble. The pretender is the best bit, and it always leads into the third quarter. Crossover song that most enjoy, some other games still have Sweet Caroline FFS!

They have really stuffed up with the stupid slow starting team song as the team run through the chook's arse, Joker and the thief used to be great.
I love the song, it's a great motivator. It's just not ideal when we are, you know, massive pretenders right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup. Was there more of a follow up beyond that though - as in a coordinated effort to have the crowd contribute?

I guess they did the 'join the huddle' thing too, and that was both an embarrassment and a failure.

I'm not certain what Pyke brings to the club, but it'd be nice for the club to join the 21st century and not be such a bland and stiff organisation.

In one of his interviews last week he referenced Collingwood and their fan engagement as something he’d like to emulate

A good start would be simply letting fans know what is happening without the secret squirrel carry on - the social media team are hamstrung by what they’re allowed/not allowed to divulge

Maybe instead of relying on Ryan Daniels to debunk rumours from the west they could just put the info out themselves beforehand

Trying to organise blocks to wear certain colours would be like herding cats. Peeps are going to wear what they want to. Still have geezers rocking up in navy blue bomber jackets from the late 90s.

I do not believe so.

Yeah it's tough, I guess with a college game and kids it'd be easier to coordinate as it's probably more of a small community vibe than a large AFL club.

It's a nice thought though, creating that kind of vibe and atmosphere would be awesome.

Yeah it's tough, I guess with a college game and kids it'd be easier to coordinate as it's probably more of a small community vibe than a large AFL club.

It's a nice thought though, creating that kind of vibe and atmosphere would be awesome.
Um, you couldn’t be further from reality.

College football is massive and dwarfs AFL on such a scale of magnitude.

Alabama has a 100,000+ seat stadium that sells out for every game. And it’s not even the biggest stadium.

It’s not just college kids. It’s mega rich boosters, past students, parents, etc.

IMG_2272.jpeg

Um, you couldn’t be further from reality.

College football is massive and dwarfs AFL on such a scale of magnitude.

Alabama has a 100,000+ seat stadium that sells out for every game. And it’s not even the biggest stadium.

It’s not just college kids. It’s mega rich boosters, past students, parents, etc.

View attachment 1847883
well that blew one theory

Yeh nah. You've never live in the USA have you!! College football is bigger than the NFL on a multitude of metrics. The big colleges have stadiums with 100k+

I've been to this.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeh nah. You've never live in the USA have you!! College football is bigger than the NFL on a multitude of metrics. The big colleges have stadiums with 100k+

I've been to this.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Had a mate just go to the States last month and went to a college game in Texas. Reckons it was off the charts in terms of the build up to the game and atmosphere at the game. 100k people at the game and $500 a ticket but he reckons it was worth every cent.

Had a mate just go to the States last month and went to a college game in Texas. Reckons it was off the charts in terms of the build up to the game and atmosphere at the game. 100k people at the game and $500 a ticket but he reckons it was worth every cent.
That's $50 million gate. I don't believe it.

Yeah, that doesn't seem right, especially when you consider the players aren't even professional.

Edit: Never mind, average cost is $175 USD, costing up to $640 USD, depending on the game/matchup...

Playoff tickets cost an average of $3k.

That’s what he said his tickets cost. Idk if they have memberships or season passes ect. Apart from whether it’s $50 mill or not the main part was that it felt like major event not just a home and away game.

Apparently the game was between two colleges from the same state but the game was played in a neutral town/city and people all transited in for the game. Just said it was crazy something he hadn’t experienced here in Australia.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back