Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was pretty obvious now that like a bump, if you tackle and the player hits his head/gets concussed your ****ed

Agree or disagree with the principle, it's pretty f*cken easy to follow.

The idea players won't adjust or know what to do is ridiculous, watch any single game and you'll see numerous tacklers not bring a player to ground when even 12 months ago they would've. The Bedford one is a real strict interpretation of it but the players will adjust, they always do.

Not Charlie’s finest game.

Completely owned by Hough.

Yep two goals, but one of those from a fifty (and the other while Hough was benched).

No song, just … silence.

Took out Duggan and Brockman.

Three game suspension.

The idea players won't adjust or know what to do is ridiculous, watch any single game and you'll see numerous tacklers not bring a player to ground when even 12 months ago they would've. The Bedford one is a real strict interpretation of it but the players will adjust, they always do.
For the record, I think Cameron deserved his weeks but genuinely, what was Bedford supposed to adjust to change what happened?

Running down someone from behind and pinning the arms so they can’t handball has long been featured in highlight packages and taught to kids learning how to tackle - but now it’s not allowed suddenly?

I refuse to believe the AFL has any interest in protecting the head in favour of protecting their own pockets from legal action.

I thought it was pretty obvious now that like a bump, if you tackle and the player hits his head/gets concussed your ****ed
Yes, but there’s a discussion as to whether that’s right. Outcome is pretty luck based in a lot of these, and seems to be the main determining factor. That’s not how you encourage behavioural change.

Dangerfield and Bedford are broadly the same tackle, certainly at the moment of making the decision to tackle and how, but one is nothing and one is three because of outcome.

But then they’ll do nothing about swinging fists or elbows, unless it draws blood or destroys someone’s jawline, despite the action being infinitely worse than a chase down tackle with no second motion or sling.

I think fans broadly understand that if someone gets concussed, the player is suspended. That doesn’t make it right. The AFL aren’t serious about protecting the head, they’re serious about appearing to crack down on concussions so they don’t get sued.

Running down someone from behind and pinning the arms so they can’t handball has long been featured in highlight packages and taught to kids learning how to tackle - but now it’s not allowed suddenly?
If you're doing it in a way that their head will hit the ground forcefully yes. It's a change but footy changes all the time, people will adjust.

I refuse to believe the AFL has any interest in protecting the head in favour of protecting their own pockets from legal action.
Is that different to every other sport that is doing similar to try stop concussions though?

We've lost 2 players permanently to concussion, one of them is suing the club and Afl.

This is Duggans second concussion this year. Cameron's tackle in my view was aggressive and unnecessary considering the arms were pinned and Duggan wasn't going anywhere.There was no need to slam him down.

Don't get why Kelly and Yeo find it acceptable to defend the bloke that concussed their captain.
Yep, my 1st reaction live at the ground was, "oof, that's a heavy tackle, he's got weeks coming if Duggan is out".

Not sure why all the outrage/shocked reactions. I'm no tribunal apologist, by going off there recent decision, there was only one outcome.

Yep, my 1st reaction live at the ground was, "oof, that's a heavy tackle, he's got weeks coming if Duggan is out".

Not sure why all the outrage/shocked reactions. I'm no tribunal apologist, by going off there recent decision, there was only one outcome.
Heck, Reid got two weeks and he didn't even injure the player.
Hard to feel sorry for Cameron.

Except if you're Patrick Dangerfield, or Charlie Cameron the first time this year

Also, whether it's a free kick or not also depends on something I haven't figured out yet

Sure its all very obvious

We've lost 2 players permanently to concussion, one of them is suing the club and Afl.

This is Duggans second concussion this year. Cameron's tackle in my view was aggressive and unnecessary considering the arms were pinned and Duggan wasn't going anywhere.There was no need to slam him down.

Don't get why Kelly and Yeo find it acceptable to defend the bloke that concussed their captain.
Cameron's was the worst of the 3 last night.

Bedford's tackle was perfect and literally his only option from that far back. The alternative is to let Taranto run away with the ball.

Cameron's was the worst of the 3 last night.

Bedford's tackle was perfect and literally his only option from that far back. The alternative is to let Taranto run away with the ball.

I really didn’t like how Cameron seemingly added a bit of mayo to the tackle with the use of his head on Duggan’s head.

The main force of the back of the head hitting the ground would have done the most damage but I didn’t find Charlie’s action palatable.

All the pearl clutching from the AFL media and ex-players. Very few of them would have watched the West Coast vs Brisbane twilight game as it doesn’t involve a Vic team. Wouldn’t have a clue of the context that Charlie was getting his arse handed to him by Hough and was cracking the shits and tried to make a statement by taking it out on Duggo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really didn’t like how Cameron seemingly added a bit of mayo to the tackle with the use of his head on Duggan’s head.

The main force of the back of the head hitting the ground would have done the most damage but I didn’t find Charlie’s action palatable.

All the pearl clutching from the AFL media and ex-players. Very few of them would have watched the West Coast vs Brisbane twilight game as it doesn’t involve a Vic team. Wouldn’t have a clue of the context that Charlie was getting his arse handed to him by Hough and was cracking the shits and tried to make a statement by taking it out on Duggo.
Yeah when I first saw it I thought nothing of it, which is probably the same way the players saw it.

Watching it again and the way he drives over the top with his feet is unnecessary. He wanted to show strength and drive him back with himself on top. Deserved suspension because he had alternatives (let go before he hits the ground and jump over the top / hold him upright in the tackle / try and twist himself and Duggan).

Can't see an alternative nor any malice for Bedford though. Being behind in the contest and your player gets the ball, that's how you close down the space and is the only way to put a tackle on.

Except if you're Patrick Dangerfield, or Charlie Cameron the first time this year

Also, whether it's a free kick or not also depends on something I haven't figured out yet

Sure its all very obvious

At the time I thought the Cameron one was an obvious free, but wasn't too annoyed that the umpire didn't pay it and gave them the benefit of the doubt. Umpires likely to be as confused as anyone but really seeing the head hit the ground now should be enough.

Agree or disagree with the principle, it's pretty f*cken easy to follow.

If Taranto got concussed from that tackle then surely the AFL needs to retire him now as his susceptibility to concussion demands he not play a contact sport ever again.

Also can't believe I am not a vegetable after playing country and suburban footy in the 80's and 90's.

The AFL aren’t serious about protecting the head, they’re serious about appearing to crack down on concussions so they don’t get sued.
tim and eric comedy GIF

At the time I thought the Cameron one was an obvious free, but wasn't too annoyed that the umpire didn't pay it and gave them the benefit of the doubt. Umpires likely to be as confused as anyone but really seeing the head hit the ground now should be enough.

Which is kind of my point. Everyones (umpires, players, supporters) confused. It's not at all clear as some are saying

Yeah, I don't get the argument that players don't know what to do. It's pretty bloody simple.

Although they are footballers and not known for their intelligence.

We are up to the fourth person this year looking at a suspension for homophobic remarks so I suspect there are a few very slow learners in the league.

We are up to the fourth person this year looking at a suspension for homophobic remarks so I suspect there are a few very slow learners in the league.
Allegedly said the "F" word 10 times to 2 or 3 different players.
Fair to say he lost the plot.

Haven't read about any apologies or contrition so can see this one being
8 plus if previous suspensions are anything to go by.

I don't think anything will top Willie Rioli.

Smokes pot
Pours Gatorade into the cup
Gets suspended
While suspended, gets caught with pot at the airport
Walks out on the club that stood by him throughout for a packet of chips

I'm sure I'm missing a few bits and pieces along the way but still 🤣

I don't think anything will top Willie Rioli.

Smokes pot
Pours Gatorade into the cup
Gets suspended
While suspended, gets caught with pot at the airport
Walks out on the club that stood by him throughout for a packet of chips

I'm sure I'm missing a few bits and pieces along the way but still 🤣

Missed the part where he helped us win a flag 🙃

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back