Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m too old to totally change my view on f*** being offensive or not. It was in widespread use when I was younger. We even had lollies named F*** that you sucked on without a hint of irony

Not saying it was right, it was just how it was

But whilst I personally don’t find it offensive, I’m smart enough to know others do and that it’s just something that shouldn’t be part of my vocabulary

Come up with a better insult

Last edited:

Cards on the table: when you call someone a f***** you arent questioning their sexuality - you are demeaning them by saying "you are equal to this group of people whom I consider to be lesser human beings than me".

When you use terminology to equate someone to being less-than because of something they cant change about themselves, its a form of hate speech.

To you that’s what it means. that’s a revisionist interpretation. Forever it’s been about orientation. Lesser human explanation you mentioned is modern upper suburb high class take or explanation. The guy on construction site does not sit there and think in manner you explain.

Look, I am not saying people should go around doing it. I don’t do it. But 6 weeks. Come on. I am not saying he should go free.

To you that’s what it means. that’s a revisionist interpretation. Forever it’s been about orientation. Lesser human explanation you mentioned is modern upper suburb high class take or explanation. The guy on construction site does not sit there and think in manner you explain.
How "revisionist" do you wanna be? Cause originally it was about a bundle of sticks.

Also its newer meaning has always been used in a derogatory sense. Here's an except from https://www.gofreddie.com/magazine/the-f-slur-where-it-comes-from-how-some-are-reclaiming-it:

"In 1914, an author named Louis E. Jackson published a 102-page book called "A Vocabulary of Criminal Slang, With Some Examples of Common Usages." The book's purpose was to serve as a bit of a dictionary for common words used by less than savoury individuals in American culture.

Under the entry for "Drag," this sentence was included: "All the ******s (sissies) will be dressed in drag at the ball tonight."

The word "******” itself does not have its own entry, but was used in a sample sentence to demonstrate how "drag" is used in everyday culture. This is one of the earliest instances of the word "******” being used in America."

TLDR: Dont call people the f-slur. Its offensive and demeaning to some marginalised groups of people. At one stage in society calling black people "n*****" was perfectly acceptable and used as a descriptor. We dont use that term anymore for similar reasons.

Last edited:
How "revisionist" do you wanna be? Cause originally it was about a bundle of sticks.

Also its newer meaning always been used in a derogatory sense. Here's an except from https://www.gofreddie.com/magazine/the-f-slur-where-it-comes-from-how-some-are-reclaiming-it:

"In 1914, an author named Louis E. Jackson published a 102-page book called "A Vocabulary of Criminal Slang, With Some Examples of Common Usages." The book's purpose was to serve as a bit of a dictionary for common words used by less than savoury individuals in American culture.

Under the entry for "Drag," this sentence was included: "All the ******s (sissies) will be dressed in drag at the ball tonight."

The word "******” itself does not have its own entry, but was used in a sample sentence to demonstrate how "drag" is used in everyday culture. This is one of the earliest instances of the word "******” being used in America."

TLDR: Dont call people the f-slur. Its offensive and demeaning. At one stage in society calling black people "n******" was perfectly acceptable and used as a descriptor. We dont use that term anymore for similar reasons.

We aren’t in America. Let’s stick to my point here.

Nowhere did I say that people should do use it. I think 6 weeks for young indigenous kid is too much as it was driven in part about ideology.

Why then 6 weeks is appropriate? How many weeks to you would be too much, or there is no number? If he got 10, would you argue it’s still not enough?

We aren’t in America. Let’s stick to my point here.

Nowhere did I say that people should do use it. I think 6 weeks for young indigenous kid is too much as it was all about ideology.

Why then 6 weeks? How many weeks to you would be too much, or there is no number? If he got 10, would you argue it’s still not enough?
Just talking about the weeks thing - I think we need an established "bringing the game into disrepute" charge for players, and should just bring such cases as this under the umbrella. I dunno how many weeks that should be worth though.

Just talking about the weeks thing - I think we need an established "bringing the game into disrepute" charge for players, and should just bring such cases as this under the umbrella. I dunno how many weeks that should be worth though.

My issue is the penalty - not whether it’s ok what he did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is harsh but if you are still doing it after the past couple of examples you are a slow learner.
The AFL is stamping it out and they will continue to hand out larger penalties until it sinks in.

So players can either park the homophobic stuff or they can **** around and find out.

The AFL have kept increasing the penalty because players don't seem to be learning.

Take into account the last player got 5 weeks for saying it once and showed remorse.

Collard reportedly said it up to 10 times to multiple players and there's been no mention of an apology.

What do you think is a fair penalty?

The biggest issue at the moment is we're up to our eyeballs in free to play situations and suspensions that make little to no sense when compared to others of the same issue, or even non-related ones.

Harley's tackle - no concussion - 2 weeks.
Cameron's tackle - concussion - 3 weeks
Dangerfields tackle - no concussion - pay rise and top bloke headlines

Clarko - homophobic slurs - suspended sentence and fine
Powell - " - 5 weeks
Collard - " - 6 weeks

Meanwhile striking seems to be a all good.

The AFL is making it all up as they go along and it's confusing us fans. Classic bush league stuff from them as usual.

The biggest issue at the moment is we're up to our eyeballs in free to play situations and suspensions that make little to no sense when compared to others of the same issue, or even non-related ones.

Harley's tackle - no concussion - 2 weeks.
Cameron's tackle - concussion - 3 weeks
Dangerfields tackle - no concussion - pay rise and top bloke headlines

Clarko - homophobic slurs - suspended sentence and fine
Powell - " - 5 weeks
Collard - " - 6 weeks

Meanwhile striking seems to be a all good.

The AFL is making it all up as they go along and it's confusing us fans. Classic bush league stuff from them as usual.

Not to mention that multiple positive drug tests are 0 weeks.

A bit of selective quotation. Why don’t you post the whole thing. Then let’s see who is embarrassed
It doesn't need to be re-posted- it is there for anyone to read (not that it is worth reading).
It is not taken out of context- you meant it exactly as posted. I highlighted it specifically as out of all your musings so far on the subject, this particular line is hilariously stupid.

He doesn't need to know why it is offensive (I'll give him more credit than you and say that he would know if is offensive, which was the whole point of him saying it) but he is a professional AFL player, he would have undergone extensive education on this and been aware that 2 of his colleagues had received a 3 week and 5 week ban for saying this stuff in the past month or two.
Yet here you are, saying that because he isn't an academic it is beyond his comprehension that if he uses this term (and on multiple occasions) that he would be punished?

Embarrassing stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back