Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem isn't cracking down on homophobic language, the problem is, and always has been, their pissweak gradings of any intentional punches and hits that are body shots and/or dont cause any damage. Behaviour of players on that front hasn't changed as they know they are unlikely to cop much of a punishment for it.

…it is beyond his comprehension that if he uses this term….that he would be punished?

I selectively edited your post to give you example of what you did to mine.

Then comment as follows:

Have to admit, bit racist and embarrassing that you think it is beyond his comprehension. He has had multiple chances.

Most people would lose their job if they called anyone any slur at work so footballers who get a few weeks of paid leave for doing it could probably consider themselves lucky?

That is true. But we wouldn’t be publicly flogged with media and be cancelled.

He would be getting a lot of abuse now, on top of his 6 weeks.

Let's just agree to call each other campaigners and move on.

I'm much more concerned about the way the AFL is managing the concussion issue. For a start, they've brought it on themselves with the way the holding the ball rule has been interpreted over the last several years.

When a player has been adjudged as having no prior opportunity, they have basically no penalty for just holding the ball indefinitely. Pump the arms a few times to pretend they're making a "genuine attempt" and they're fine. So they allow themselves to be held or swung around in the tackle until they see an opportunity to dispose. And if that disposal happens to be a spill/throw/flick/drop in the general direction of a teammate, no free kick is awarded. This happens dozens of times a game - "no prior, play on!" It drives me nuts when I see teams exploiting this option. And they all do, but some more than others.

So how have tacklers evolved their technique in response? They pin the arms ever more tightly to prevent any possibility of even a spill, they hold the tackle until they hear a whistle, and they make sure they disorient the player in the tackle so they can't size up an option for late disposal. It's a perfect storm for concussion.

Sure, tacklers can now adjust again, but it has to be the AFL's job to manage the consequences of their own rules. Two things are needed. Firstly, blow the whistle earlier. Thankfully, this process is underway. Secondly, penalise incorrect disposal, even if there is no prior opportunity. Otherwise tacklers will have to back off to minimise concussion risks, and it will be even easier for the tackled player to miraculously spill the ball to advantage in the tackle.

Just to be clear, the solution is to increase the penalty for punches to the face, not decrease the penalty for slurs.

Simple solution: don’t be a ****ing idiot. It’s staggeringly easy to not say these things. 6 weeks is light for multiple instances, next person who does it should get more as the current penalties clearly aren’t working (as evidenced by four published instances this year alone).

Just to be clear, the solution is to increase the penalty for punches to the face, not decrease the penalty for slurs.

Simple solution: don’t be a ****ing idiot. It’s staggeringly easy to not say these things. 6 weeks is light for multiple instances, next person who does it should get more as the current penalties clearly aren’t working (as evidenced by four published instances this year alone).

I f*cking howled yesterday when I read that he said it multiple times to multiple players. The kid's a straight up fiend. I'm sure he'll learn his lesson and such, but what a maniac.

Homophobic slurs and punches are two different things. The suspensions AFL players got for homophobic slurs should be compared to the penalty Clarkson received for doing the same thing. Senior coaches are role models, they should know better. Collard for example is 19, Clarkson on the other hand is 56 yeras old.
The AFL is saying $20,000 and a 2 game ban (suspended) for a coach is essentially the same as a player getting 3 game ban.

I f*cking howled yesterday when I read that he said it multiple times to multiple players. The kid's a straight up fiend. I'm sure he'll learn his lesson and such, but what a maniac.
Clearly wanted his season over early .

Wouldn't be surprised if he heads home .

He is still a kid by the looks of it and never wanted to leave WA is the first place .

It’s 2024. Your frontal lobe is almost fully developed.

BE BETTER.

Sincerely, a gay person, who has had enough.

Apologies for the tag, but I felt this post (the third one in the thread on the Scandals and Rumours board) pretty accurately summed it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to Lawson Humphries on SEN right now. Sounds like a cracking kid. Eluded to that he had no idea who was interested and it was the cats requested he attended the WA combine.

Not to say that we should jump at drafting every west Aussie that gets an invite but surely we should've been asking questions at list management "what does another team see that we don't.

Also talked about his left/right foot capacity and that he can shoot from goal either side of the goal posts using either.

Given the premium on foot skills nowdays how did we pass on our last pick and let the cats nab him.??

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
100% - the Eagles recruitment team have been poor for years and they have no imagination. They haven't found a diamond in the rough for years. They are also not good at developing players when you compare them to clubs like Geelong and Sydney - that's why they find themselves in their current predicament. Humphries elite disposal efficiency on both feet and hands was obvious at every level I saw him play at over the last few years - staggering that the Eagles didn't at least rookie list him. The positive is that after 30 years List Manager Roham O'Brien has finally gone

100% - the Eagles recruitment team have been poor for years and they have no imagination. They haven't found a diamond in the rough for years. They are also not good at developing players when you compare them to clubs like Geelong and Sydney - that's why they find themselves in their current predicament. Humphries elite disposal efficiency on both feet and hands was obvious at every level I saw him play at over the last few years - staggering that the Eagles didn't at least rookie list him. The positive is that after 30 years List Manager Roham O'Brien has finally gone
Noah Long pick 58 in 2022 is pretty much the definition of a diamond in the rough.

… was cracking the shits and tried to make a statement by taking it out on Duggo.

Watching it again and the way he drives over the top with his feet is unnecessary. He wanted to show strength…
Duggo got him clean with one of his trademark solid bumps (maybe in the 1st) that sent Cameron flying out of a ground ball contest in congestion. Even on the TV you could see his head snap around to see who it was that got him pretty good. That lingering tackle was a cheap shot at payback. There was defo a bit in it. Not such a good guy.

Duggo got him clean with one of his trademark solid bumps (maybe in the 1st) that sent Cameron flying out of a ground ball contest in congestion. Even on the TV you could see his head snap around to see who it was that got him pretty good. That lingering tackle was a cheap shot at payback. There was defo a bit in it. Not such a good guy.

Oh yeah totally forgot about that hit. Makes sense.

So, being that even a good guy can cop 3 weeks now (Cameron)
Will the AFL need to tweak their 20 week suspension at any level = de-registration?

Bedford 3 weeks for a basic tackle is a joke.

Collard is a third the way there with his 6 week ban. Throw in a few MRP roulette wheels over his career and he's on thin ice.

The league can't be serious about protecting the head when helmets aren't mandatory.
How TF does Tim Taranto get concussion from that?

Originally, they're were trying to stamp out the two motion sling, then changed to dumping and driving tackles. Bedford hasn't really done either of those. Just put the clamps on.

So, being that even a good guy can cop 3 weeks now (Cameron)
Will the AFL need to tweak their 20 week suspension at any level = de-registration?

Bedford 3 weeks for a basic tackle is a joke.

Collard is a third the way there with his 6 week ban. Throw in a few MRP roulette wheels over his career and he's on thin ice.

The league can't be serious about protecting the head when helmets aren't mandatory.
How TF does Tim Taranto get concussion from that?

Originally, they're were trying to stamp out the two motion sling, then changed to dumping and driving tackles. Bedford hasn't really done either of those. Just put the clamps on.
Helmets make no difference in concussion. Again for those that are unaware, HELMETS MAKE NO DIFFERENCE IN CONCUSSION.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back