Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A timely reminder that no matter how bad it seems like we’re going, we’re a long way from the biggest basket case in the AFL.

Raise a glass to 20 years of Essington irrelevance.

Feel like we would see a lot more players coming back from ACL’s after 6 months instead of 12 if that was the case

ACL's are so variable. If it was a straight up pure ACL then 6 months is possible with full strength in the knee. I'd be more worried injury wise about him tearing the hamstring tendon. There there is lack of match fitness, touch etc.

If it's a more serious ACL then most aren't even in any form of major training after 6 months let alone being close to playing.

They are obviously trying it as he knows it's his last year and starting the finals in 8th the chances of making it even to a prelim is remote. The weird thing for me though is even if he gets through this week it's hard seeing him backing up next week.

Shouldn't the top team get the Thursday game so they get more recovery time?

Wasn't that always a thing?

How come 2 Vic clubs are getting gifted an extra day to recover?
There's no pattern to the scheduling.

6v7, 1v4, 1v4, 5v8, 1v4, 2v3, 6v7, 1v4, 2v3

All over the shop, with teams from every state hosting the Thursday night matches.

In theory, but I'd be a bit concerned if I was running the VaFL that a Thursday night might be a bit of a crowd graveyard in Sydney.
Even if not Thursday, they should have got Friday.

And don't forget that Geelong have to travel to Adelaide while Sydney and GWS are at home. And we all know the travel burden negatively affects Vic teams recovery and injury while being an advantage to non-Vic teams.

I would personally be happy with Port getting the Thursday game and Sydney the Friday one.
Carlton finished 8th. Getting the least rest game is fair, and for Brisbane they are at home, so that's OK as well.
In reality, the best and fairest reward for ladder finish would be to swap the Friday and Saturday games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Luke Ryan will be watching the finals with frustration and anger, and a bowl of nachos, 3 packets of chips, 2 dips, 3 packs of Tim Tams, an icecream sundae and an entire suckling pig with an apple in its mouth. He won't be eating the apple as he's cutting back on his sugar intake."

They'll get the early prelim if they win so they'll have more recovery time before a GF. Having the 2/3/6/7 half of the draw first should mean everyone gets a 7 day break between finals this year unlike 2023.

because Vafl rules!

There's no pattern to the scheduling.

6v7, 1v4, 1v4, 5v8, 1v4, 2v3, 6v7, 1v4, 2v3

All over the shop, with teams from every state hosting the Thursday night matches.

In theory, but I'd be a bit concerned if I was running the VaFL that a Thursday night might be a bit of a crowd graveyard in Sydney.

And don't forget that Geelong have to travel to Adelaide while Sydney and GWS are at home. And we all know the travel burden negatively affects Vic teams recovery and injury while being an advantage to non-Vic teams.

I would personally be happy with Port getting the Thursday game and Sydney the Friday one.
Carlton finished 8th. Getting the least rest game is fair, and for Brisbane they are at home, so that's OK as well.
In reality, the best and fairest reward for ladder finish would be to swap the Friday and Saturday games.

The AFL mandated a while ago that teams playing finals would get a seven day break where possible. This therefore eliminated having a Sunday final as one team would only get a six day break heading into the semi finals, with a Thursday night final offering more flexibility with regards to fixturing.

Port Adelaide face Geelong on Thursday night, so the loser of that game will get a day's additional rest against the winner of the Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn game. That semi final will likely be played on the following Friday night (13 September) with both sides getting a minimum seven day break.

The loser of Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants gets a few hours additional rest against the winner of the Brisbane Lions vs Carlton match with that semi final to likely take place next Saturday night (14 September), again ensuring each team has seven days' rest.

If Sydney win their qualifying final, they'll likely play a home preliminary final on the Friday (20 September) with the other prelim on the Saturday (21 September). All teams will therefore get a minimum seven day break if that scenario occurs.

Whichever QF was on Thursday would have the corresponding EF on the Friday so one team wouldn't have a 2-day rest advantage for week 2.

"Luke Ryan will be watching the finals with frustration and anger, and a bowl of nachos, 3 packets of chips, 2 dips, 3 packs of Tim Tams, an icecream sundae and an entire suckling pig with an apple in its mouth. He won't be eating the apple as he's cutting back on his sugar intake."
Mmm nachos

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

SCG sold out within a day - pity I would have liked to get there.

Old mate plays for a side associated with 30 years of failure. Surely there was enough motivation to draw upon leading into the season.

Tom Stewart is out for Geelong tonight.

It's all shaping up for a peak Ken Hinkley finals series, folks.

Keen for Port to win the Premiership, Ken gets up stage to do the usual coach's speech (when Basil isn't around), "blah blah blah and to the Port fans .... **** THE LOT OF YA YOU UNGRATEFUL KENTS" then he rips of his shirt and there's an Eagles polo underneath. :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back