Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Mmm interesting, I don't think we have ever lost a PF?? Seems like we either finish top 4 and storm through to a home PF ('06 we went the long way).
Or we blow out in the semis.

I feel like loosing a close PF would be pretty rough. At least loosing the GF, you can say that we weren't good enough/not our day/got our pants pulled down/biorhythms were off etc.
Loosing the PF, especially a close one, what would have could have happened are all hypotheticals and you would never know.

But yes, chocking in a PF would mean we are back to a winning team, so that would be a plus

Lost the prelim to Essendon in 1990 which was our sixth trip in succession to the east coast

And 2011 to Geelong

This might sound weird, but I hate prelim finals. Lose and you feel like you've blown a flag but win and you still need to win again next week for it to mean anything.
I'd rather make a GF and lose than lose a PF. With a GF you have at least made it and know, rather than the unknown of not having the chance.

Imagine if we'd lost one of those prelims to Adelaide in 05/06. Or North in 2015. Or shudder Melbourne in 2018.

Another Prelim and 2 out of 3 years they'll be getting a number 1 overall caliber draft pick through the father/son rort. Life's gotta be great for Lions fans.
So this is my issue with the current Father/son rule.

These guys, Diacos/Ashcrofts etc were clearly identified at an early age that they are going to be gun players. Now you can't tell me that in there final junior years(wheater it's in the rules or not) these young guys have been groom in the ways of Collingwood/Brisbane/whoever they are going to?

This would be a huge advantage to say a Harley Reid, who played for something like 5 different clubs in his final year, and never really exposed to the inner workings/game plans/standards required at an AFL level. Plus these guys have been in and around the AFL clubs their whole lives.

Not only are they naturally talented but they are basically AFL ready from day one.

I don't know the answer to the Father/son drafting, but it feels something needs to give a little. There needs to be a much bigger penalty if you choose to draft one (require 2 picks? More points? Financial penalties? Future year penalty? Don't know)

So this is my issue with the current Father/son rule.

These guys, Diacos/Ashcrofts etc were clearly identified at an early age that they are going to be gun players. Now you can't tell me that in there final junior years(wheater it's in the rules or not) these young guys have been groom in the ways of Collingwood/Brisbane/whoever they are going to?

This would be a huge advantage to say a Harley Reid, who played for something like 5 different clubs in his final year, and never really exposed to the inner workings/game plans/standards required at an AFL level. Plus these guys have been in and around the AFL clubs their whole lives.

Not only are they naturally talented but they are basically AFL ready from day one.

I don't know the answer to the Father/son drafting, but it feels something needs to give a little. There needs to be a much bigger penalty if you choose to draft one (require 2 picks? More points? Financial penalties? Future year penalty? Don't know)
More than happy to keep father son priority, but the clubs need to pay a realistic amount for a pick 1. If you traded for pick 1 it would be multiple firsts at a minimum, so clubs should be losing their R1 and F1 at a minimum (if they played finals that year).

The solution is to make them pay something close to actual value rather than points. If a player is worth a first round pick, you pay a first round pick. If you don't have one, you either get one or risk another club drafting them. The sentimental value (or return on investment for academies) gets you first shot. After that, it's the same as any other highly rated player - you either find the pick to take them with or you accept you can't draft everyone you'd like to, like every other draftee. Got two prospects? Trade a future first, make some other deal or take the one you rate highest and hope things work out, either in the draft or when they're next out of contract.

Another Prelim and 2 out of 3 years they'll be getting a number 1 overall caliber draft pick through the father/son rort. Life's gotta be great for Lions fans.
Yeah but odds are Geelong knock them out again so their window is closing fast.

So they'll have these gun kids and be mud table for half a decade.

Cant see them beating Cats and then Swans/Port.

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try and spot when the pre finals bye was added.
Had happened 3 out of 4 times in 2014/15 before the bye is introduced, and happens in 2021 when they didn't have one. I think the bye's effect is overstated, the league has just become very even over the past decade imo.

The solution is to make them pay something close to actual value rather than points. If a player is worth a first round pick, you pay a first round pick. If you don't have one, you either get one or risk another club drafting them. The sentimental value (or return on investment for academies) gets you first shot. After that, it's the same as any other highly rated player - you either find the pick to take them with or you accept you can't draft everyone you'd like to, like every other draftee. Got two prospects? Trade a future first, make some other deal or take the one you rate highest and hope things work out, either in the draft or when they're next out of contract.
Fixing the points' value effectively does this though. The only reason these clubs never use first round picks in their bids is because first round picks are undervalued compared to late picks

We were never going to win the 2011 prelim. Geelong and Collingwood were so far ahead of anyone else that year. It was fun just to have made it that far.
Doing it the season after winning the spoon wasn’t bad either

We were never going to win the 2011 prelim. Geelong and Collingwood were so far ahead of anyone else that year. It was fun just to have made it that far.
I was at that game, it was my first experience of how truly feral Collingwood supporters could be.

Hinkley fined $20k for his taunting of Ginnivan

Seems harsh

Nothing for Sicily who also carried on like a pork chop and well beyond what was necessary

Hinkley fined $20k for his taunting of Ginnivan

Seems harsh

Nothing for Sicily who also carried on like a pork chop and well beyond what was necessary

Sicily also didnt get fined for dropped the knees into a port player on the ground. Usual weak stuff from the vAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back