Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reid appears to me to be one who will hit his ceiling early. Doesn't mean he won't be good but he's not going to get exponentially better as he gets stronger and more capable. So Ginbey and he will be good but they're not dominating for quite some time yet.

I too was hoping for a decade in relentless medicority for the Weavils and fear a quick bottom-out, but the reality is they haven't even hit bottom yet.

They have to move on all the old campaigners (NN, Hurn, Ducky, Gaff), the broken (Darling, Yeo and McShoving) and the WAFL top-ups and list-cloggers (only their mums know their names). That's going to take 3 years minimum.

Which leaves them with Kelly, Barrass and Allen as their only viable established talent, Ginbey as their only proven young talent and a couple of other possibles from their wildly speculative drafting over the last few seasons (Chesser? What a pick in hope.) 6 or 7 blokes you'd piss on if they were on fire.

You can add another three years of top 10 draft picks to that and you're still in Norths territory - cannonfodder hanging on and kids getting offended.

It's a hard choice as to which I prefer - 5 years of abject misery for those arrogant *silly people or a decade of mediocrity?

One thing that is really hurting them is having won a flag just before the Covid restrictions on softcap. They have to pay a premiership premium for Simpson and can't escape it. I used to think he was a whingeing campaigner for his moaning about not being able to afford proper care for diverse hires, but he is right. They are rooted. Their assistants are all blokes just happy to have a job. It's almost as bleak as the rejects we had when Rossco was burning through support staff.

In the last season and a half, they have been arsebanged by over 16 goals more often than they have won games. Their average losing margin is 49 points! It beggars belief.

Only their really demented fans are still showing their heads - the downbeat, dangerous and broken. You are either cruelly punching down or risking being covered in the froth of the crazy if you engage.

Still, I don't need to hang s**t on them to enjoy this. They are s**t.

(Yes, Belnakor, yes - "reeks of hubris". Nailed it.)
This is spot on.

One thing on top is that their WAFL side is historically bad and getting flogged by more than the AFL side. Any kid who can't get a game in AFL is getting sub 10 possessions in the WAFL while going down by 100 points, great for development. It is going to take a long time to fix as the idiots in charge at WC won't admit it was a mistake and back flip.

Can you imagine the burden of expectation that would be on Harley Reid at West Coast.

If I was WC's list manager I would split pick one and spread that burden across multiple players that aren't weighed down with the title of pick #1. The hole they are in is way too deep to expect one talented kid to fill it.

Gowers said he "100 per cent" hoped Clarkson could make his way back into the club for the Hawks' celebrations of their 2013 grand final victory, slated to take place in round 24 against Fremantle at the MCG.

Explains why we avoided Tassie this year the bustards are doing there reunion at the G when they play us.

You were in the US and didn't stop by to say hi?

Well, I'm not hurt. Really. I'm not... not even a little bit. Being stood up at the airport stings a little bit, but I'm over it now... I'm sure you were just too busy getting fancy milk in NY to say hi. I totally get it...

Sad Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

:p
Haha, you can fly to Quebec Ciry if you want on the 27th and we’ll catch up 😝

The WAFL thing is a particularly high-toned stink in the generally putrid aroma of the joint and completely redolent of the hubris of which we speak. No colts side, no development pathway, just some eager beaver ammos trundling around, for God knows what reason, with the hacks, the harmed and the half-formed. No system, no real clues going in, just this strongly-held belief that all they shat would be gold. "I must be right. I'm rich!"

If any of them are being weirded out by the glee with which their decline is being met, they should have considered their behaviour on the way up.

The WAFL thing is a particularly high-toned stink in the generally putrid aroma of the joint and completely redolent of the hubris of which we speak. No colts side, no development pathway, just some eager beaver ammos trundling around, for God knows what reason, with the hacks, the harmed and the half-formed. No system, no real clues going in, just this strongly-held belief that all they shat would be gold. "I must be right. I'm rich!"

If any of them are being weirded out by the glee with which their decline is being met, they should have considered their behaviour on the way up.

their alignment ended because they were being such assholes East Perth said enough is enough. WCE basically wanted to own the club, call all the shots, basically run it as a puppet WCE. Then a couple of years later its like "woe is me - this is so unfair!" - complaining about a situation they literally created with their own behavior.

Can you imagine the burden of expectation that would be on Harley Reid at West Coast.

If I was WC's list manager I would split pick one and spread that burden across multiple players that aren't weighed down with the title of pick #1. The hole they are in is way too deep to expect one talented kid to fill it.

i mean they did that last year, i think its almost unavoidable that they will need to repeat the dose, unless the AFL decides they want to give them a priority pick.

due to WCE's unwillingness to understand their reality for the past 2 years i think it is unlikely the AFL will give them much. Maybe an end-of-first-rounder if they go just as bad next year.

It isn't Simpson's fault, it's their list management. But they are in a deep deep hole and they will be irrelevant for a long while. Harley Reid isn't fixing it

While i do think Simpson isn't the sole problem in that club there seems to be this viewpoint that he is completely blameless somehow.

• he sits on the list management committee which has made a series of disastrous decisions on their list, particularly in 2020-2023
  • he was the coach when the COVID hub derailed their season and their players sulked about the hub. He also was involved in this sulking which set the tone for the rest of the club.
  • the gameplan is no doubt outdated, and while it fluked a premiership that was almost 5 years ago and there seems to be minimal change from that. Simpson surely is responsible for that?
  • Simpson and the club all seem to be unaware they went "all in" on another premiership in 2019 - yet they have played the same team, same key players and same gameplan in 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022. Thats a long time to not change anything, particularly when there should have been a realization it was cooked as early as 2019.

anyway its fun to throw stones at WCE. I do like the idea that Simo is some kind of master coach - just like in 2017 era the West were comparing Yeo to Fyfe :)

There is a board split at the West Coast Eagles over whether coach Adam Simpson or chief executive Trevor Nisbett should depart the club as on-field issues reach crisis point.

Sources have told The West Australian one camp want Simpson out, while the other is advocating for a managed end to Nisbett’s long-term future.

It comes after shenanigans at the Eagles last night, with mixed messaging from the club over whether the coach needed a two-to-three month break at the end of the season.

It is believed Simpson does not want a break and is willing to plough ahead at the end of the season.

Sources say the information was leaked to the media in a strategic move to accelerate Simpson’s exit.

A club spokesman released a statement on Wednesday night after the Simpson story was leaked.
“Adam will coach out the remainder of the season,” the spokesman said.

“He is up for the challenge and keen to improve and develop our players and game plan.

“When our season ends he will be encouraged to take an extended break to refresh.”

The club later put out a conflicting statement on their social media.

“Reports that senior coach Adam Simpson has been asked to take a three-month break at the end of the season are inaccurate. No such discussion has taken place,” the report said.

The contrasting statements from the club underline the division.

Why should the charity-loving handout queens be getting a priority pick?

All I have heard from them for the last nearly 30 years is all about how amazingly well-run they are and how the "povo" and leper clubs should accept the cost of their ineptitude.

You need a spoon or two, Weavils, to scoop up a priority pick.

Why should the charity-loving handout queens be getting a priority pick?

All I have heard from them for the last nearly 30 years is all about how amazingly well-run they are and how the "povo" and leper clubs should accept the cost of their ineptitude.

You need a spoon or two, Weavils, to scoop up a priority pick.
Would a spoon this year make the count 2-1?

GIF by Team Coco

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a board split at the West Coast Eagles over whether coach Adam Simpson or chief executive Trevor Nisbett should depart the club as on-field issues reach crisis point.

Sources have told The West Australian one camp want Simpson out, while the other is advocating for a managed end to Nisbett’s long-term future.

It comes after shenanigans at the Eagles last night, with mixed messaging from the club over whether the coach needed a two-to-three month break at the end of the season.

It is believed Simpson does not want a break and is willing to plough ahead at the end of the season.

Sources say the information was leaked to the media in a strategic move to accelerate Simpson’s exit.

A club spokesman released a statement on Wednesday night after the Simpson story was leaked.

“He is up for the challenge and keen to improve and develop our players and game plan.

“When our season ends he will be encouraged to take an extended break to refresh.”

“Reports that senior coach Adam Simpson has been asked to take a three-month break at the end of the season are inaccurate. No such discussion has taken place,” the report said.

I laughed at someone on twitter suggesting when are you going to announce Justin Langer as coach.

He would bring Elite honesty to the club

I'm hoping they continue to blame their injury run on bad luck due to contact injuries. Yes those types can be bad luck but they are made much more likely when you make many bad list decisions and keep vanilla vets much longer than you should have, when you arrogantly ignore potential Covid impacts last pre-season and don't plan for it like Freo did which, when combined, forces you to run out many more kids than are ready to handle it and then leads to more injuries and on it goes.

I'm praying for 2 things, they keep Trev and his son in their current roles so the trading and drafting improves 0% and they keep the same S&C philosophies and team. That'll help the fun roll on.

I don't think WC are too far off being competitive.

If they get their injured players back they will be okay. But their players in the 22-26 age bracket are terrible.

Ginbey will be a good player. But getting 2 kicks and 20 tackles per game shows you're second to the ball.

Sooo ... half the board want Simmo gone and half want to get rid of Nisbett. Surely there's an easy decision here, whereby they all get their way!

Leaks from within and the formally loyal local media going rouge is sooo enjoyable.

The fact they are floundering around with excuses about covid, injuries and everything else pouring out on a daily basis is a good indication they don't understand the depth of the predicament they are in.

I am enjoying their pain because of the smug attitude of the club and their supporters about Freo for many years past. Kinda funny that most of their supporters have lost interest in footy these days.

Ginbey will be a good player. But getting 2 kicks and 20 tackles per game shows you're second to the ball.
On Ginbey. Would like to know what position his old coach believes he should being playing in.

Personally I'd love to see Nisbett continue well in to his 80's. He's doing such a great job for anyone who wants to see that mob crumble. They have all the cash they need to trade and FA themselves to a quicker recovery but if he and Lil Nissy stay around, it might all be for naught and we get to enjoy something better than a decade of mediocrity. We get to see them become Carlton of the past 15yrs.

Simpson does seem a good dude so I'd be up for him getting a $1.6m payout, a break and then rewarded with a good job somewhere else where he doesn't carry the bluenyella stain on his character.

OMG strap it to my veins.

I wonder if people will call on the WAFC to take over running the club to save themselves, or is that only when Freo have a board issue with their coach?

Nothing screams like Nissy being able to withstand a nuclear bomb, is Daniel Kerr getting jailed for two years today.
I was amazed that Nisbett survived the drug stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back