Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Would You Rather

• Make Finals, intermittently. Maybe have a shot once in 10 years. (Freo)

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • Be Port of the last 12 years. Constant finals, never make a Grand Final

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Just be Essendon.

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what bs story The Bulldogs will spin about Bonts next week. The week against us he had a "mystery illness", then this week he "injured his back at training", but oh look he's OK! it's like the boy who cried wolf

North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium, 1.45pm AEST

NORTH MELBOURNE

In:
K.Dawson
Out: G.Wardlaw (concussion)

Last week's sub: Dylan Stephens

WESTERN BULLDOGS

In:
A.Naughton, O.Baker, S.Darcy
Out: B.Khamis (omitted), C.Daniel (omitted), A.Scott (omitted)

R14 sub: Caleb Daniel

I don't know what it is about watching Lions specifically at the GABBA but it always looks like the most uncontested game
It's halfway between the MCG and SCG in terms of dimensions so it's very wide for it's length. Brisbane are also the endpoint for Adelaides gamestyle: Goals through forwardline dominance and being goalside of their opponents at all costs. Makes sense to me. Also makes sense why it never translates to wins at the MCG against quality opponents

Brisbane thought they'd win by 10 goals too. Great to see Melbourne have remembered how to play football. Lever and JVR playing well, Oliver getting some form back. It's amazing how a team lifts when things start going well.
Weirdly Melbourne has been Brisbane's grand final for the last 2-3 years. Melbourne have now responded by given it the same significance and we're seeing this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasn’t helped that the Brions aren’t kicking straight. Oh wait.

Also, how inspired has the Rivers move to midfield been?

My biggest note so far from this game has been King pre-game saying "Big Oscar McInerny is an underrated Ruck and is a big chance against Gawn" yet has since been bitchslapped by Gawn.

Brisbane are one of the only examples I know of where the ruck is, as senile Robert Walls used to often opine, the most important position on the ground. Gawn, Cox, Grundy, English, Darcy, Witts - Every time they've had decent (not even big) games against McInerny Brisbane's midfield misfires.

McInerny might be their most important player but he's not an elite one. Certainly not one worth basing entire clearance strategy around like Brisbane seem to.

This is what we need to do to Sydney tomorrow. Full backs are irrelevant when you dominate clearance like that.
Sadly I think we need to be the worst team to watch for a neutral supporter and gum up every contest and back our much improved turnover game to jag the odd goal. We can't run and gun them, they'll eat us alive even if we win the clearances by a 2 to 1 factor.

Fortunately the SCG is the ground for it...

Zac Bailey gets away with doing the bare minimum every single year. He's 24 now. He's going backwards weekly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back