Non-Lions discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schache was labelled as the next messiah of Brisbane, coming to Brisbane to continue his father’s legacy. He was on signs outside the Gabba and on membership cards in his second year. He had a five year contract put in front of him before he played a game. Reports from training that he lined up 100 set shots and kicked 100 in a row, that he was making senior defenders look like rookies.

He was anointed our next Brown and our great hope before he played a game. Poor bloke.

To his credit, he did look really good in his first season. No idea what happened after that. I wonder if we broke him or if he was just never up to it.
I sometimes wonder how Schache would have developed under Fages - he has nurtured and developed Cam Rayner when at times many would have dropped him and I have no doubt it will pay us and Cam huge dividends in time. Schache could have had a completely different development path - who knows?

I sometimes wonder how Schache would have developed under Fages - he has nurtured and developed Cam Rayner when at times many would have dropped him and I have no doubt it will pay us and Cam huge dividends in time. Schache could have had a completely different development path - who knows?
Second year was under Fages.

He had a season under **** and then left...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Grim times ahead for GWS. The lure of a potential premiership kept just enough of the list together for the last decade, but now that is well and truly gone.

They're going to bleed out.
They are playing woefully! Genuinely look disinterested. To be fair tho we also looked disinterested in the Sydney game.

Who is closer to contending for premierships the Giants or Suns?
Suns probably a couple of years away at least.

GWS at least one coach away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had to see that doco "Making their Mark" and the parts showing GWS. A complete disconnect between coach and players. Was awful to see and we said then that GWS will go backwards while Cameron is there.

Seems like Cameron is the whipping boy for the Giants failures.

They played off for a flag not one season ago. Which was a fair effort.

Maybe people need to realise that getting a bunch of kids and topping them up with some average getting to the hasbeen status veterans, plonking them in Western Sydney where no one gives a toss about the AFL and not even the coaches want to be there , with the rest of the AFL clubs looking upon it as a moonshoot waste of money, was not a recipe for success.

Blame Cameron all you like. None of these kids were ever fully committed in the first place , no entrenched role models or culture to guide them. I would've thought that was self evident. It's the most unexciting fixture on every other club's list to boot.

Maybe look to the AFL , the planning and the conceit that they could contrive a successful club in the middle of nowhere just by throwing lots of money and untried rookies at it if you're looking to blame anybody.

Seems like Cameron is the whipping boy for the Giants failures.

They played off for a flag not one season ago. Which was a fair effort.

Maybe people need to realise that getting a bunch of kids and topping them up with some average getting to the hasbeen status veterans, plonking them in Western Sydney where no one gives a toss about the AFL and not even the coaches want to be there , with the rest of the AFL clubs looking upon it as a moonshoot waste of money, was not a recipe for success.

Blame Cameron all you like. None of these kids were ever fully committed in the first place , no entrenched role models or culture to guide them. I would've thought that was self evident. It's the most unexciting fixture on every other club's list to boot.

Maybe look to the AFL , the planning and the conceit that they could contrive a successful club in the middle of nowhere just by throwing lots of money and untried rookies at it if you're looking to blame anybody.
I actually thought that was the Suns when they first came into the competition and with GWS they did much better. They had some decent culture building older players there to guide them along with Kevin Sheedy who really laid the fundamentals and pretty sure Mark Williams was an assistant coach too. Some of the older players was Luke Power, Davis, Cornes and probably a few others l can't remember.

I actually thought that was the Suns when they first came into the competition and with GWS they did much better. They had some decent culture building older players there to guide them along with Kevin Sheedy who really laid the fundamentals and pretty sure Mark Williams was an assistant coach too. Some of the older players was Luke Power, Davis, Cornes and probably a few others l can't remember.
All those guys were hasbeens when they went there and they only went for the money.

Suns have struggled overall but at least there are many AFL savvy people on the GC and they recruited Ablett when he was in his prime so they had some hope.

But both were ideas borne out of too much money from television rights looking for a home to fill up TV time .

The one thing GWS has not built is culture.

All those guys were hasbeens when they went there and they only went for the money.
Money was no doubt a factor, but GWS specifically recruited these veterans who have the experience to show the young kids the way, help build culture and set training standards. Guys like Luke Power and James McDonald didn't go there for a quick cash grab.

It was thought to be a much better recruiting strategy than GCS who recruited for apparent talent, with no clear leadership who could become models for young guys.

Suns have struggled overall but at least there are many AFL savvy people on the GC and they recruited Ablett when he was in his prime so they had some hope.

But both were ideas borne out of too much money from television rights looking for a home to fill up TV time .

The one thing GWS has not built is culture.
Don't agree. I reckon getting Abblett was a huge mistake. Only went there for the money, didn't really lead the young guys or build culture. Might have won more games with him but they also became too Abblett centric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back