Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

While we are feeding at the Demons carcass, the Demons players I would be interested in seeing in Lions colours.

Kysaiah Pickett
Trent Rivers
Jacob Van Rooyen
Caleb Windsor

Not interested in him at all but Bayley Fritsch at the Lions alongside Cam Rayner would be nice for danster168.

Interesting take your last point. Only my opinion but seems we like to stand the mark alot more than dropping back the 5 metres and being able to move around. GWS seemed to stay back, collingwood always move back from the mark. Not sure what the benefits are either way. You hear umpires say stand the mark around the ground but sometimes i see cox jumping up and down on the mark so presume if having a shot at goal the man on the mark does not have to stand.I dont know
We've definitely been backing back off the mark a lot more often this year. Usually when the ball's in our front half and outside the corridor.

Once the umpire sets the mark you can't move back/forward or sideways off the mark.
Think of it as a vertical mark point from the ground upwards.
You often see players looking towards the umpire to ensure they are in the correct spot.
You can jump up and down if you want but be careful you don't accidently move off the mark that is noticeable.
Regarding the 5 meters i can see some benefits at certain points of the ground to move back.
However, in general i don't see much benefit. But that's just my opinion and obviously some coaches see it very differently.

View attachment 2077384
View attachment 2077380
It's not literally stated there but the player standing the mark is also not allowed to leap forward while the ball carrier is in the act of disposing. We got a 50 against Adelaide for that very thing.

Once the umpire sets the mark you can't move back/forward or sideways off the mark.
Think of it as a vertical mark point from the ground upwards.
You often see players looking towards the umpire to ensure they are in the correct spot.
You can jump up and down if you want but be careful you don't accidently move off the mark that is noticeable.
Regarding the 5 meters i can see some benefits at certain points of the ground to move back.
However, in general i don't see much benefit. But that's just my opinion and obviously some coaches see it very differently.

View attachment 2077384
View attachment 2077380
Hey also, on these rules, is there any guidelines in the laws of the game as to the specific "line and direction of kick"? My understanding is that a free kick (from a mark or an indiscretion) must be taken in a direct line between the spot of the mark and the centre of the attacking team's goal line.

But when such a free kick is taken in a player's defensive 50 we very rarely see this actually happen, and we also very rarely see it called play on when I believe we should. We generally see the ball carrier does indeed kick over the man on the mark, but the ensuing kick goes out towards the boundary, implying of course that the ball carrier is many metres off his line when preparing for and taking the free kick.

In my mind that should be called play on almost immediately, every single time.

It's not literally stated there but the player standing the mark is also not allowed to leap forward while the ball carrier is in the act of disposing. We got a 50 against Adelaide for that very thing.
Correct if he leaps forward sideways or back the mark it is a 50-meter penalty.
I am taking the word leap as a big movement.
So, any movement into the protected area is a 50-meter penalty.

Hey also, on these rules, is there any guidelines in the laws of the game as to the specific "line and direction of kick"? My understanding is that a free kick (from a mark or an indiscretion) must be taken in a direct line between the spot of the mark and the centre of the attacking team's goal line.

But when such a free kick is taken in a player's defensive 50 we very rarely see this actually happen, and we also very rarely see it called play on when I believe we should. We generally see the ball carrier does indeed kick over the man on the mark, but the ensuing kick goes out towards the boundary, implying of course that the ball carrier is many metres off his line when preparing for and taking the free kick.

In my mind that should be called play on almost immediately, every single time.
You asked for the rules (guidelines) here they are.
The joys of being an umpire, glad i am not one but the game can't run without them.
I started to interrupt the rule but now it is bedtime for this old codger.
At a quick glance you need to break it up into different sections of the ground and whether the ball is on the field or outside the field of play
Then there are shots on goal.
1723467907026.png
1723467852625.png
1723467796664.png

While we are feeding at the Demons carcass, the Demons players I would be interested in seeing in Lions colours.

Kysaiah Pickett
Trent Rivers
Jacob Van Rooyen
Caleb Windsor

Not interested in him at all but Bayley Fritsch at the Lions alongside Cam Rayner would be nice for danster168.
Kozzy & Charlie in the same forward line.

You asked for the rules (guidelines) here they are.
The joys of being an umpire, glad i am not one but the game can't run without them.
I started to interrupt the rule but now it is bedtime for this old codger.
At a quick glance you need to break it up into different sections of the ground and whether the ball is on the field or outside the field of play
Then there are shots on goal.
View attachment 2077634
View attachment 2077632
View attachment 2077631
Thanks so much. So yes, the very first clause in that rule, 20.2(a). That is hardly ever interpreted correctly when the ball carrier is in their defensive 50. Seems pretty plain and clear to me.

Thanks so much. So yes, the very first clause in that rule, 20.2(a). That is hardly ever interpreted correctly when the ball carrier is in their defensive 50. Seems pretty plain and clear to me.
Yeah it feels like generally the mark in the backline tends to follow the curvature of the boundary, rather then being a straight line to goal.

The one that bothers me more is when people have a free kick from OOB, and they walk into the playing field and is isn't immediately play on. I didn't realize that rule had been subtly removed but looks like it has!

Kysaiah Pickett
Trent Rivers
Jacob Van Rooyen
Caleb Windsor

Unless they are part of the attitude problems I'd suspect that quartet is exactly who they would want to build around with Petracca. Would be tough to get any of them out of the club unless they completely implode

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless they are part of the attitude problems I'd suspect that quartet is exactly who they would want to build around with Petracca. Would be tough to get any of them out of the club unless they completely implode
I guess the Bombers have put the cue in the rack then which they’d have needed a lot to go right anyway to make it.

Would I be right in thinking that Heppell has never played in a final and certainly not won one across his whole career?

I guess the Bombers have put the cue in the rack then which they’d have needed a lot to go right anyway to make it.

Would I be right in thinking that Heppell has never played in a final and certainly not won one across his whole career?

And we drafted Polec. He must hate the Lions :).

He's played in 5 finals, all losses. He was playing under 12s the last time Essendon won a final.

Let's hope that McGrath never wins a final, either. They should never have been allowed to keep that #1 pick.

Although they did stuff up who they picked I guess 😉
I kinda like him as a player and sort of feel sorry for him. He looks like he never gives up and is a decent back man. Not his fault he isn't a superstar mid or that he plays for a basketcase club

I kinda like him as a player and sort of feel sorry for him. He looks like he never gives up and is a decent back man. Not his fault he isn't a superstar mid or that he plays for a basketcase club

Yeah, I hear you. It's more what he represents (the #1), than him personally.

Picking a B+ grade defender as a number #1 is very questionable though, particular when consensus was that McCluggage was likely #1 going into the draft.

Oh well, another Dodoro special I guess. Long may it continue.

Let's hope that McGrath never wins a final, either. They should never have been allowed to keep that #1 pick.

Although they did stuff up who they picked I guess 😉

If this didn't happen and the Lions get pick 1 would the Giants have made the pick 16 trade with Fremantle to move up to pick 2? Thereby missing out on drafting Berry?

If this didn't happen and the Lions get pick 1 would the Giants have made the pick 16 trade with Fremantle to move up to pick 2? Thereby missing out on drafting Berry?

Good call - probably not. GWS still would have got Taranto from all reports.

You're right, it worked well for us (an absolute trade masterstroke).

Essendon getting pick #1 for cheating has never "felt right" to me, that's all (hence I don't want to see them succeed whilst McGrath is around). Then again, I don't want to see them succeed, period............

Actually of course not as they would have already had Fremantle's pick 2 so keeping pick 16. In hindsight a bad move just to draft ball butcher Taranto. Pick 16 plus whatever they gave up for Freo's pick 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back